Daily Bible Readings

  • DGO
    Message 1 of 1203 , Apr 30, 2004
      DAILY GOSPEL
      «Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

      Saturday, 01 May 2004

      Acts of the Apostles 9,31-42.

      The church throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria was at peace. It was being built up and walked in the fear of the Lord, and with the consolation of the holy Spirit it grew in numbers. As Peter was passing through every region, he went down to the holy ones living in Lydda. There he found a man named Aeneas, who had been confined to bed for eight years, for he was paralyzed. Peter said to him, "Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and make your bed." He got up at once. And all the inhabitants of Lydda and Sharon saw him, and they turned to the Lord. Now in Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which translated means Dorcas). She was completely occupied with good deeds and almsgiving. Now during those days she fell sick and died, so after washing her, they laid (her) out in a room upstairs. Since Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples, hearing that Peter was there, sent two men to him with the request, "Please come to us without delay." So Peter got up and went with them. When he arrived, they took him to the room upstairs where all the widows came to him weeping and showing him the tunics and cloaks that Dorcas had made while she was with them. Peter sent them all out and knelt down and prayed. Then he turned to her body and said, "Tabitha, rise up." She opened her eyes, saw Peter, and sat up. He gave her his hand and raised her up, and when he had called the holy ones and the widows, he presented her alive. This became known all over Joppa, and many came to believe in the Lord.

      Psalms 116,12-17.

      How can I repay the LORD for all the good done for me?
      I will raise the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD.
      I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people.
      Too costly in the eyes of the LORD is the death of his faithful.
      LORD, I am your servant, your servant, the child of your maidservant; you have loosed my bonds.
      I will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD.

      Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 6,60-69.

      Then many of his disciples who were listening said, "This saying is hard; who can accept it?" Since Jesus knew that his disciples were murmuring about this, he said to them, "Does this shock you? What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe." Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray him. And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father." As a result of this, many (of) his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him. Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?" Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God."

      Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

      Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

      -------------------------------------
      Information : Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is free of charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online at www.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road, New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.
      -------------------------------------

    • DGO
      Message 1203 of 1203 , Mar 22, 2007

        DAILY GOSPEL

        «Lord,to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

        Thursday, 22 March 2007

        Thursday of the Fourth week of Lent

        Today the Church celebrates : St Nicholas Owen,  St Lea

        See commentarie below or click here
        Saint Aphrahate :"Ifyou had believed Moses, you would have believed me"

        Book of Exodus32,7-14.

        With that, the LORD said to Moses, "Go down at once to your people, whomyou brought out of the land of Egypt, for they have become depraved.They have soon turned aside from the way I pointed out to them, making forthemselves a molten calf and worshiping it, sacrificing to it and crying out,'This is your God, O Israel, who brought you out of the land of Egypt!'I see how stiff-necked this people is," continued the LORD to Moses."Let me alone, then, that my wrath may blaze up against them to consumethem. Then I will make of you a great nation."But Moses implored the LORD, his God, saying, "Why, O LORD, should yourwrath blaze up against your own people, whom you brought out of the land ofEgypt with such great power and with so strong a hand?Why should the Egyptians say, 'With evil intent he brought them out, that hemight kill them in the mountains and exterminate them from the face of theearth'? Let your blazing wrath die down; relent in punishing your people.Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, and how you swore to themby your own self, saying, 'I will make your descendants as numerous as thestars in the sky; and all this land that I promised, I will give yourdescendants as their perpetual heritage.'"So the LORD relented in the punishment he had threatened to inflict on hispeople.

        Psalms 106(105),19-20.21-22.23.

        At Horeb they fashioned a calf, worshiped a metal statue.
        They exchanged their glorious God for the image of a grass-eating bull.
        They forgot the God who saved them, who did great deeds in Egypt,
        Amazing deeds in the land of Ham, fearsome deeds at the Red Sea.
        He would have decreed their destruction, had not Moses, the chosen leader,Withstood him in the breach to turn back his destroying anger.

        Holy Gospel ofJesus Christ according to Saint John 5,31-47.

        If I testify on my own behalf, my testimony cannot be verified.But there is another who testifies on my behalf, and I know that thetestimony he gives on my behalf is true.You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.I do not accept testimony from a human being, but I say this so that you maybe saved.He was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content torejoice in his light.But I have testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father gave meto accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that theFather has sent me.Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you havenever heard his voice nor seen his form,and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe inthe one whom he has sent.You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life throughthem; even they testify on my behalf.But you do not want to come to me to have life.I do not accept human praise;moreover, I know that you do not have the love of God in you.I came in the name of my Father, but you do not accept me; yet if anothercomes in his own name, you will accept him.How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seekthe praise that comes from the only God?Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father: the one who willaccuse you is Moses, in whom you have placed your hope.For if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me, because he wroteabout me.But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

        Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

        Commentary of the day :

        Saint Aphrahate (?-around 345), Monk and Bishop in Nineveh, near Mosul inpresent-day Iraq
        Demonstrations, n°21

        "If you had believed Moses, you would have believedme"

              Moses was persecuted, as Jesus waspersecuted. When Moses was born, they concealed him so that he might not beslain by his persecutors. When Jesus was born they carried him off in flightinto Egypt so that Herod, his persecutor, might not slay him. In the dayswhen Moses was born, children used to be drowned in the river; and at thebirth of Jesus the children of Bethlehem and in the area were slain. To MosesGod said: "Those who were seeking your life are dead " (Ex 4:19), and toJoseph the angel said in Egypt: "Arise, take up the child, and go into theland of Israel, for those who were seeking the life of the child are dead"(Mt 2:20). Moses brought out his people from slavery to Pharaoh; and Jesusdelivered all nations from slavery to Satan… When Moses sacrificed the lamb,the firstborn of Egypt were slain; and when they crucified him, Jesus becamethe true lamb… Moses brought down manna for his people; and Jesus gave hisbody to the nations. Moses sweetened the bitter waters by wood; and Jesussweetened our bitterness by his cross, by the wood of the tree of hiscrucifixion. Moses brought the Law down to his people; and Jesus gave hiscovenants to the nations. Moses conquered Amalek by the spreading out of hishands; and Jesus conquered Satan by the sign of his cross.

              Moses brought out water from the rock forhis people; and Jesus sent Simon Peter (the rock) to carry his doctrine amongthe nations. Moses lifted up the veil from his face and spoke with God; andJesus lifted up the veil from the face of the nations, that they might hearand receive his doctrine (2 Co 3:16). Moses laid his hand upon his messengersand they received priesthood; and Jesus laid his hands upon his apostles, andthey received the Holy Spirit. Moses ascended the mountain and died there;and Jesus ascended into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of hisFather.

        Manage your subscription directly clicking HERE

        The DGO team needs HELP for the TRANSLATION from French to English ofthe daily commentaries.
        If you are willing to help, please contact the DGO team at:contact-am@...
        Information :
        * The DGO is sent every day to more than 240.000 subscribers !
        As you know, the "DAILY GOSPEL" asks neither a subscription fee, nor tobe devalued by publicity. Its financing is assured exclusively thanks to yourspontaneous generosity and with the help of its voluntary team. We want tocontinue our service to you and to allow the greatest number to profit fromit. Do you want to help us maintain this free service? Daily Gospel is freeof charge, it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation online atwww.dailygospel.org or directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope Road,New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.