4 Nov 01 Update: Abbà Pater/For Kids/Greed/Against Favou ritism/To Wives

  • Zeitun-eg.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001
      Lamentations 3:22-26 Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. Isaiah 35:4 Say to those who are fearful-hearted, "Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God; He will come and save you." Proverbs 20:22 Do not say, "I will recompense evil"; wait for the LORD, and He will save you. Job 11:16 Because you would forget your misery, and remember it as waters that have passed away, Isaiah 25:8 And the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces; St. Bernard "When you experience humiliation, you should receive it as a sure sign that grace is coming."

      Contents at a Glance   >>>>>

      + Abbà Pater - Music CD by Pope John Paul II
      + For Kids (: \o/ :)
      + Greed (Story)
      + From the Writings of Pope St. Kyrillos VI: Against Favouritism
      + To Wives - From the Writings of Maria Valtorta
      + The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences (31 Oct 01)

      Abbà Pater - Music CD by Pope John Paul II    >>>>>

      2 Corinthians 11:26-30 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness-- besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation? If I must boast, I will boast in the things which concern my infirmity.

      Seeing him -- as countless millions have -- is an unforgettable experience. His presence is electric. He was born Karol Wojtyla, but since 1978 he has been known as the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II. He is the most travelled Pope in history (travelled more than double the distance to the moon), and the multitudes that greet him wherever he goes are evidence of the basic human need to connect with a power greater than oneself. In this music CD (Sony Music Entertainment), the Pope is reaching out to the world in new ways to offer hope for peace and spiritual fulfillment. Abbà and pater are the Aramaic and Latin words for "father". Abbà Pater is a poignant depiction of a father's love that will touch and inspire listeners everywhere.

      This album contains an invitation by John Paul II to "embark on an interior pilgrimage toward the house of our Heavenly Father, who is so rich in mercy; a journey of conversion, undertaken in charity, in sharing with the poor and in dialogue with our neighbours." --Angelus, November 29, 1998

      ABBÀ PATER (Track 4)
      Listen

      Words
      Turn to us with mercy, Lord; we have sinned against you. --Lenten liturgy
      You did not receive a spirit of slavery, but you have received a spirit of adoption,
      enabling us to cry out "Abbà Father." --Romans 8:15
      You are my son; today I have begotten you. --Psalm 2:7
      I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. --2 Samuel 7:14
      These are prophetic words. They speak of God, who is the Father in the highest and most authentic sense of the word. Isaiah says: "Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand." --Isaiah 64:8
      Zion said, "The Lord has forsaken me, my Lord has forgotten me." Can a woman forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forsake you. --Isaiah 49:14-15
      It is significant that in the passages from the prophet Isaiah the paternity of God is filled with images inspired by maternity. Jesus refers again and again to the paternity of God in regard to mankind by alluding to numerous passages contained in the Old Testament. For Jesus, God is not only the Father of Israel and the Father of mankind, but also his Father and my Father. --General Audience, Vatican City, October 16, 1985
      Pater noster qui es in coelis,
      Our Father in heaven,

      sanctifcetur nomen tuum.
      hallowed be Your name.

      Adveniat regnum tuum,
      Your kingdom come,

      fiat voluntas tua,
      Your will be done,

      sicut in coelo et in terra.
      on earth as it is in heaven.

      Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
      Give us this day our daily bread,

      et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
      and forgive us our debts,

      sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostri,
      as we also have forgiven our debtors,

      et ne nos inducas in tentationem,
      and do not bring us to the time of trial,

      sed libera nos a malo.
      but rescue us from the evil one.

      --Matthew 6:9-13, Saint Peter's, March 22, 1995

      FATHER, WE ASK YOUR FORGIVENESS (Track 6)
      Words
      Christians have indeed committed acts condemned by the Holy Gospel. If I evoke the past, it is because recognising the failures of yesterday is an act of loyalty and courage that not only helps us to strengthen our faith, but also makes us more aware of the temptations and difficulties in today's world in order to better confront them. I am convinced that only forgiveness offered and received leads progressively to a fruitful dialogue capable of bringing about a truly Christian reconciliation. Today, belonging to different Christian traditions must not constitute a source of opposition or tension. On the contrary, the love of Christ that we share must inspire in us a continual search for the way to complete unity. --Homily delivered during a vigil with young people, Paris, August 23, 1997

      WHERE THERE IS LOVE, THERE IS GOD (Track 7)
      Words
      If you love God above all things, and love your neighbour as yourself, if you love truly and sincerely, then certainly you will not "wrong," or "oppress," or "abuse" anyone, in particular "any widow or orphan." You will not "act like a moneylender," and "if you take...in pawn, you will restore...." --Exodus 22:20-26; Matthew 22:37-39 Catechism at the Parish of Gesù Divino Lavoratore, Rome, October 25, 1981
      Where charity and love are found, there is God. The love of Christ has gathered us together into one. Let us rejoice and be glad in him. Let us fear and love the living God, and love each other from the depths of our heart.
      Where charity and love are found, there is God. Therefore when we are together, let us take heed not to be divided in mind. Let there be an end to bitterness and quarrels, an end to strife, and in our midst be Christ our God.
      Let us rejoice and be glad in him. Let us fear and love the living God, pure and unbounded joy, for ever and for ever. (Amen)
      --Sequence from the liturgy for the "washing of the disciples' feet" on Thursday in Holy Week

      Related Links:

      Christian Unity

      For Kids (: \o/ :)    >>>>>

      Songs that teach, songs that praise!

      His Kids Radio - Children's Sonshine Network (RealAudio)
      http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/ramhurl?f=/live/csn.rm

      Catholic Kids Net

      Scripture Union for Kids Only

      Amazing Book: The Bible - Kid Explorer
      http://www.christiananswers.net/kids/amzbk-0.html

      The Children's Online Bible - International Bible Society
      http://www.childrensbible.com/

      Download Arabic Children's Multimedia Bible
      Special thanks to: The Bible Society of Egypt
      http://www.zeitun-eg.org/chbible.html

      St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church, Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt
      Nice animated GIF story for children and other material for Sunday Schools (Arabic)

      Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

      Luke 18:15-17 Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

      Greed    >>>>>

      Source: Christian Storytelling @ the Catholic Society of the Divine Word Web Site (USA)
      http://www.svd-ca.com/stories/today.htm (updated Monday through Friday)

      One summer afternoon on the Mississippi River in America a steamer crowded with passengers suddenly struck a submerged rock. In a moment the deck was a wild confusion. The lifeboats were able to take off only one-fourth of all the passengers. The rest tore off their clothes, and swam ashore.

      After everyone had deserted the overturned ship, a man suddenly appeared on the leaning deck. He grabbed a loose piece of wood and then jumped into the river. But he sank like a stone.

      When his body was recovered, it was found that while the other passengers were busy escaping, he was busy breaking open and robbing their trunks and baggage. Many of them were miners returning home with their treasure. This thief gathered their gold, tied little bags of it around his waist and within a quarter of an hour he had won more gold than most men do in a lifetime.

      But it dragged him to the bottom of the river in an instant.

      Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

      Luke 12:16-21 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, "What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?' So he said, "I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry."' But God said to him, "Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?' "So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

      Writings of Pope St. Kyrillos VI: Against Favouritism    >>>>>

      Pope St. Kyrillos VI (Kyrollos or Cyril the Sixth) is the 116th Pope of Alexandria and See of St. Mark (Coptic Orthodox Patriarch), whose papacy has been marked by the unprecedented Apparitions of the Blessed Holy Virgin Mary in Zeitun, Egypt.

      Against Favouritism
      "Do not give an advantage to a high ranking person over a less important person. That is, do not keep a poor man waiting while you attend to a dignitary. This should not be so. If you meet such a situation, finish the poor man's work before turning to help the dignitary. You can, of course, show respect by bringing him a chair to sit and offering a coffee while he waits. Do not cheat your conscience."

      James 2:2-4 For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?

      Related Link:
      Pope St. Kyrillos VI Web Gallery

      To Wives - From the Writings of Maria Valtorta    >>>>>

      (Maria Valtorta is an Italian mystic writer who died in 1961)

      But I wish to draw the attention of wives to one point. Too many marriages break up through the fault of women, who do not possess that love, which is everything: kindness, pity and solace to their husbands. The physical suffering that lies heavy on women does not lie heavily on men. But all the moral worries do: necessities of work, decisions to be taken, responsibilities before the established authorities and one's own family… oh! how many things weigh on man! And how much comfort he also needs! And yet, a woman's selfishness is such that she adds the weight of useless and sometimes unfair complaints, to the burden of her tired, disheartened, worried husband. And all this because she is selfish. She does not love. Love is not the satisfaction of one's senses and utility. To love is to satisfy him whom we love, beyond senses and utility, giving him the help he needs, so that he may always be able to keep his wings open, in the skies of hope and peace…

      Proverbs 14:1 The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands.

      Proverbs 31:12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

      Luke 6:37, 38 "Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."

      The Popes' Wednesday's Audiences    >>>>>

      Pope John Paul II Wednesday's Audience (31 October 2001)
      "Truly you are a hidden God!" (Isaiah 45:15). Reflecting on Chapter 45 of the Book of Isaiah, the Holy Father continued his yearlong series of meditations on the Psalms and canticles of the Liturgy of the Hours. John Paul II borrowed language from the theater, a passion of his youth, to present God as the "mysterious and invisible director" who moves "behind the scenes" in human history, respecting the liberty of His creatures, but at the same time holding the thread of the world's events. "The certainty of the providential action of God is a source of hope for the believer, who knows he can count on His constant presence," the Holy Father said. The Pope addressed the 12,000 pilgrims who attended his weekly general audience, held in St. Peter's Square.
      http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/2001/index.htm (Abstract in
      6 languages)
      http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/resolve.asp?rafile=pope.ra (RealAudio - English)

      Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda III Wednesday's Audience (31 October 2001)
      And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41, 42)
      http://copticpope.org/Audio/31102001.zip (Zipped RealAudio - Arabic)
      (Other audiences in RealAudio - Arabic)

      Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Matthew 7:22 Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' Matthew 9:36-38 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the labourers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into His harvest."
      Luke 5:4 "Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch."

      Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. Blessed Padre Pio "Pray, hope and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear our prayer… Prayer is the best weapon we possess; it is the key to God's heart."

      Bonus Link - Theological & Biblical Informatics: http://www.zeitun-eg.org/ThBibInformatics_idx.htm

      Glory be to Jesus Christ.

      In Christ's everlasting love, joy and peace (the fruits of the Holy Spirit),
      --Zeitun-eg.org (
      Our Lady of Zeitun Online/The Holy Bible Web Site - 1996-2001)
      Zeitun-eg.org is an interdenominational ministry.

      This message is permanently archived at:
      To subscribe, send e-mail to:
      arbible-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: