Re: [aquinas] Aquinas and Spirituality

  • Marco Vervoorst
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2005
      > Did St Thomas ever get more specific with his spirituality? Did he
      > prescribe, for instance, certain daily prayers or specific spiritual
      > practices such as lectio, meditation, etc? Did he write anything
      > specifically on prayer?

      S. Thomas was a Dominican and (if I remember correctly) mentions
      Compline in the Dominican Rite in the Summa. So his spirituality is
      Dominican and he (in one sense) embodies the Dominican charism of
      Prayer, Work, and Study.

      In Domino et Domina,
      The Rev'd Marco Vervoorst

      Rector, Parish of Loxton
      Parish Priest, Pastoral District of Pinnaroo
      Diocesan Master of Ceremonies

      Diocese of The Murray
    • alex.vallet
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
        Dear Ron,

        St. Thomas also wrote commentaries (or explanations) on the Credo, the Pater Noster and the Ave Maria. If these commentaries are not strictly speaking prayers, they can help a lot to understand (and even discover) the wonders of these prayers.

        St. Thomas also wrote the Office for the Feast of Corpus Christi.

        If you understand well latin, you can find all these texts on the following web site:
        www.corpusthomisticum.org

        Even if I do not answer exactly to your question, I hope it may help you.

        Regards, Alex

        > I'm looking for something a little more specific. Like did he
        > prescribe certain prayers? Meditation? Did he use or promote the
        > rosary?
        >
        > Ron
        >
        > --- In aquinas@yahoogroups.com, "Jude Chua Soo Meng"
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I remember that Aquinas wrote quite a bit about prayer as
        > secondary
        > > causation, in the Summa I think. He also argued that prayer
        > should be
        > > persistent.
        > >
        > > Jude

      • Ron Criss
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
          Alex,

          Unfortunately I don't understand latin well. I would like to see
          those works on the Our Father and Ave Maria. And I still wonder, did
          St Thomas receommend the rosary or say anything about it? Thanks.

          Ron

          --- In aquinas@yahoogroups.com, "alex\.vallet" <alex.vallet@l...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Ron,
          >
          > St. Thomas also wrote commentaries (or explanations) on the Credo,
          the Pater Noster and the Ave Maria. If these commentaries are not
          strictly speaking prayers, they can help a lot to understand (and
          even discover) the wonders of these prayers.

          > St. Thomas also wrote the Office for the Feast of Corpus Christi.
          >
          > If you understand well latin, you can find all these texts on the
          following web site:
          > www.corpusthomisticum.org
          >
          > Even if I do not answer exactly to your question, I hope it may
          help you.

          > Regards, Alex
          >
          > > I'm looking for something a little more specific. Like did he
          > > prescribe certain prayers? Meditation? Did he use or promote the
          > > rosary?
          > >
          > > Ron
          > >
          > > --- In aquinas@yahoogroups.com, "Jude Chua Soo Meng"
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I remember that Aquinas wrote quite a bit about prayer as
          > > secondary
          > > > causation, in the Summa I think. He also argued that prayer
          > > should be
          > > > persistent.
          > > >
          > > > Jude

        • Ron Criss
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
            Btw, I just picked up "Christian Perfection and Contemplation
            According to St Thomas Aquinas and St John of the Cross", by
            Garrigou-Legrange. Hopefully that will answer my questions.

          • uncljoedoc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
              Alex,

              Greetings and Salutations.

              I think St Thomas's dates are 1225 to 1274 and those of St. Dominic, to whom
              were imparted the blessings of the Rosary were 1170 to 1221. Perhaps the
              Rosary wasn't in full swing until well into Thomas' later years.

              Joe Ferrara

            • uncljoedoc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
                There is also a prayer ascribed to St. Thomas

                _http://www.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/etext/thomas.htm_
                (http://www.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/etext/thomas.htm)