(2) Creation and time

  • JMiguez@xx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
      Y2K has come and gone, but the world is still here. This brings us to a
      reflection on time. And so let us consider what St. Thomas Aquinas, in
      conjunction with creation, thought of the nature of time. Now, according to
      Aquinas what specifically belongs to TIME (secundum quod est) is nothing but
      a simple NOW.

      ("Nihil autem est temporis nisi nunc" [STh I, 46, 3, ad 3]).

      In a previous post, "Creation and Existence" 12-31-99, it was pointed out
      that creation has everything to do with ESSE, or the act "to be".

      Here it is necessary perhaps to have some kind of working or experiential
      knowledge of ESSE--if one is to understand what I am saying.

      In any case, it was also shown--in the previous post that this ESSE, or "to
      be" of creation takes place without any movement at all in the elements of
      time and space. Hence it is that we find, when all is said and done, a
      simple and non-discursive NOW as the constitutive element of time.

      For in those things which are made without motion, to "become" and to "be
      made" is a simultaneous development, or event.
      (I, 45, 2, ad 3).

      It is only after ESSE, or existence has made progress in the duration of an
      event--one that is transpiring in the matrix of both time and space--that we
      are led to form a series of concepts to describe this progression. Now these
      partial concepts are brought about through a reflection in our consciousness
      of the divisibility of the cosmic event. And would have to be from these
      first and partial insights into the progression of time as it is found in the
      memory banks of our time-and-space-bound consciousness, that we are led to
      form an overall concept of TIME as history.

      But simply speaking, according to Aquinas, time is first made of a simple
      NOW. And this account goes well with the view of creation as the ESSE of the
      universe.

      Sincerely in Christ,

      James Miguez
    • JMiguez@xx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
        In a message dated 1/2/2000 10:25:02 AM Central Standard Time, JMiguez@...
        writes:

        > And would have to be from these
        > first and partial insights into the progression of time as it is found in
        > the
        > memory banks of our time-and-space-bound consciousness, that we are led to
        > form an overall concept of TIME as history.

        The above sentence should read:

        And it would have to be from these first and partial insights into the
        progression of time as they are found in the memory banks of our
        time-and-space-bound consciousness, that we are led to form an overall
        concept of TIME as history.

        Sincerely,

        James Miguez