Improving plant health?

  • Scott Stahnke
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi,
      I have a 20 Gallon Long tank with 40 watts of light, and 40 lbs. of
      eco-complete planted aquarium substrate. I added 7 plants about a week
      ago: 2 crypts, 3 wisteria, 1 Indian stargrass (heteranthera
      zosterifolia), and 1 water sprite (floating). As far as fish I currently
      have just 6 rasboras, but will be adding more fish in coming weeks. Two
      of the wisteria are doing fair and the stargrass is not doing well at
      all. I don't have any co2 system. I can't afford it. I have looked into
      the DIY method listed on thekrib.com and have also looked at Jungle Labs
      Fizz Factory system as a cheaper co2 alternative. Does anyone have any
      recommendations for how I could improve the health of my plants without
      a large financial investment?

      Thanks,
      Scott
    • greggc68
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, Scott Stahnke <scott@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I have a 20 Gallon Long tank with 40 watts of light, and 40 lbs.
        of
        > eco-complete planted aquarium substrate. I added 7 plants about a
        week
        > ago: 2 crypts, 3 wisteria, 1 Indian stargrass (heteranthera
        > zosterifolia), and 1 water sprite (floating). As far as fish I
        currently
        > have just 6 rasboras, but will be adding more fish in coming
        weeks. Two
        > of the wisteria are doing fair and the stargrass is not doing well
        at
        > all. I don't have any co2 system. I can't afford it. I have looked
        into
        > the DIY method listed on thekrib.com and have also looked at
        Jungle Labs
        > Fizz Factory system as a cheaper co2 alternative. Does anyone have
        any
        > recommendations for how I could improve the health of my plants
        without
        > a large financial investment?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Scott

        Is this a brand new setup? How old is your substrate? To improve
        your plants health without CO2 fert you should probably stay away
        from high light plants such as stargrass. Stargrass is not
        particularly hard to grow but it does need brighter light and
        benefits from CO2 Now..brighter lights without CO2 begs for algaes
        so that would not be a good idea. One of my tanks is a no CO2 tank.
        I have 1.5W/gal of fluorescent light there and grow a nice carpet of
        java moss, java fern, anubias,and crypts so all low light plants.
        The growth is very slow but the plants are healthy.
      • DrDaveFFO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
          I don't recommend any additional CO2 additions if you plan on keeping your
          fish healthy. They will do their part in balancing out the plants needs for
          CO2.
          ---Dr. Dave
          Freshwater Farms of Ohio, Inc.
          _www.fwfarms.com_ (http://www.fwfarms.com)