Tank set-up opinions wanted!!!!!!

  • Happy Happy Joy Joy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
      Okay.

      I was digging through garage sales last week looking for kids books,
      and I found a 30 gallon tank (36" x 12" x 16"), stand, filter, and
      light for $50.00 . I am scraping the VERY nice stand cause it
      doesnt have a spot for a 10 gallon hospital tank (My moms 50 gallon
      stand has that and I LOVE it), and building a new one. I am going
      to get a glass top and build a canopy. Add more lights. ANYWAY....
      I want to make it a PLANTED tank, something COMPLETELY new to me,
      and am open to all of ya'lls opinions. All of them. I admit I
      would like to start with at least semi hardy plant, but I want to
      start right so everyone yell at me and let me know what you think!!!

      THANKS!!!!

      Joy
    • JIM & BECKY PAYNE
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
        Enough light comes first. With out enough of that and you have no plant life for long.
        On a canopy I built I used outdoor lighting rubber sockets and wired them up easy. Then for bulbs I use the compact screw in bulbs that can realty put it out. Six equalivant to 150 watt bulbs over a 90 gallon tank. Aluminum foil tape lines the canopy.
        I would say get your lighting together and then we can all go from there helping you. By that time you can decide if you want exclusively plants or fish too. And a list of what fish you want.
        Some will eat plants and be a no no unless you intend to open a salad bar at the same time.
        Jim Payne
        I was digging through garage sales last week looking for kids books,
        and I found a 30 gallon tank (36" x 12" x 16"), stand, filter, and
        light for $50.00 . I am scraping the VERY nice stand cause it
        doesnt have a spot for a 10 gallon hospital tank (My moms 50 gallon
        stand has that and I LOVE it), and building a new one. I am going
        to get a glass top and build a canopy. Add more lights. ANYWAY....
        I want to make it a PLANTED tank, something COMPLETELY new to me,
        and am open to all of ya'lls opinions. All of them. I admit I
        would like to start with at least semi hardy plant, but I want to
        start right so everyone yell at me and let me know what you think!!!

        THANKS!!!!

        Joy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • Happy Happy Joy Joy
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
          Hi!!!

          *WOW* First day back to school for my 4 Y/O, after being out for a
          week sick. I am SO tired. grin.

          I think what I'm gonna get off my butt, and do is watch the 20
          gallon that's in the spot where I'm going to put the 30 gallon and
          moniter it's normal temp. Then take base lines of my water (cause
          I'm not gonna drive my self insane trying to change the water
          drasticlly for delicate, delicate plants & I have a pretty high
          Ph). Then check out what kind of plants are avalible for THOSE
          conditions, THEN figure out how much light THOSE plants need (so I
          dont start out with something too much or not enough). Grin. I
          LOVE the look of hair grass. Isn't that odd. The sad thing is the
          environment I'm wanting to recreate (as it turns out) HAS NO plants
          in it's substrate. It's just a small, but it has no bottom plant
          life. All of it's plant life is growing out of the creak (as in a
          SMALL creek...grin) bank. I really wanted to use plants (types at
          least) that were local to the creak, but since it has no water
          plants, the next best thing is what's on the ranch. There are
          PLENTY of bogs I could get plants from, but I haven't identified
          them yet, and as they are currently in a bog, they are probably not
          going to be good for a 30 gallon aquarium. I COULD check out whats
          at the bottom of the big (several acres) stock tanks (and I am EVER
          so curious to know whats on the bottom since my family have lived on
          this property for about some 200 odd years), but since I KNOW what
          LIVES in these bodies of water (snakes, large turtles, GAR, the
          occasional visiting alligator) ....ummmmmm NO. giggle. I just love
          life and my children too much to take that dive. (Though I am EVER
          curious).
          The creak has a silt and gravel bed, with lots of limestone. Thats
          not going to be very good for my tank (I don't think). I've thought
          about just mixing sand and pea gravel, but I didn't know if any
          plants could live in that, and how big a MESS it was gonna be to
          keep it relatively clear. I want SO MUCH to hear what people use
          for their substrate. I think that's the big thing that worries me
          the most right now. What is worth the mess it makes, and what
          isn't. I've heard that with flourite and bio complete, you just
          throw it in and go, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do, or
          not. I have a FULL MONTH to plan while I SOAK everything that I want
          to put in the tank to make sure it's not gonna "give off" anything.
          So I'm not gonna rush it. I'm gonna do all my research, and TRY to
          get what I WANT the FIRST time (yeah....like that EVER happens, no
          matter HOW much you research and plan!!! giggle). It should be
          interesting. grin. Give me a day or two to look at stuff, and I'll
          have some good, concret questions. Besides ......What substrate do
          you like the most????? grin.

          Thanks!!!

          Joy

          --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, "JIM & BECKY PAYNE"
          <rebecca.payne@g...> wrote:
          > Enough light comes first. With out enough of that and you have no
          plant life for long.
          > On a canopy I built I used outdoor lighting rubber sockets and
          wired them up easy. Then for bulbs I use the compact screw in bulbs
          that can realty put it out. Six equalivant to 150 watt bulbs over a
          90 gallon tank. Aluminum foil tape lines the canopy.
          > I would say get your lighting together and then we can all go from
          there helping you. By that time you can decide if you want
          exclusively plants or fish too. And a list of what fish you want.
          > Some will eat plants and be a no no unless you intend to open a
          salad bar at the same time.
          > Jim Payne

        • JIM & BECKY PAYNE
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            Some bog plants might live under water as an aquarium plant. A sword plant is an example that is able to live both ways. water sprite is another. The apenigatons ?? Spelling are others.
            Here is a good place to research.
            I am not sure of the name but do a search for aquarium plants and Arizona like all in one phase and try that in your search engine. There is one place in Tucson I believe it was that has a lot of information on their plants. There are some more that I have done business with.
            Don't knock an undergravel plate with powerheads. I would not have one any other way myself.. You can pot plants and place them down in the gravel. Reverse flow on the power heads keep things clean. The plants get the nutrients they need and you have a planted bottom that is still clean. hair grass can be a real headache. I bet you would love the chain sword. It grows along the bottom and puts off little plants like a spider plant. Java moss can give you a covering of green on things like rocks or tree branches.
            Since you say ranch I take it that you are on well water.
            Where are you located?
            Please contact me direct.
            I can probably help.
            Find out what those bog plants are. I would like to know.
            If I have something you might like in the way of plants I will make a deal you can't refuse.
            Jim Payne
            rebecca.payne@...

            <rebecca.payne@g...> wrote:
            > Enough light comes first. With out enough of that and you have no
            plant life for long.
            > On a canopy I built I used outdoor lighting rubber sockets and
            wired them up easy. Then for bulbs I use the compact screw in bulbs
            that can realty put it out. Six equalivant to 150 watt bulbs over a
            90 gallon tank. Aluminum foil tape lines the canopy.
            > I would say get your lighting together and then we can all go from
            there helping you. By that time you can decide if you want
            exclusively plants or fish too. And a list of what fish you want.
            > Some will eat plants and be a no no unless you intend to open a
            salad bar at the same time.
            > Jim Payne

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor