Re: [aquatic-plants] current postings?

  • Vincent Tan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi,

      nice job on moving.

      I am planning to set up a new 90gal tank. I am search
      through whatever archives available to get the best
      practises on setting up a large tank.

      Cheerios
      Vincent

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • jon
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
        I know that you have said that you bought new Co2 systems, but did
        you try making your own? Those systems are good for 20gal's each if
        they are the ones that I am thinking of. You can also use sugar and
        yeast instead of buying the pouches for them.

        JT

        --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, "trampas graham"
        <lauderdalemuscle@y...> wrote:
        > I joined in March and have enjoyd reading all of the archived
        files,
        > but I've been checking for new messages but to no avail, then
        decided
        > I would post one. I live in San Diego (recently relocated from
        Fla.)
        > with a 55gal planted tank. I managed to successfully move my
        angels,
        > clown loaches, redtail shark, and one african frog on my last move
        > along with my plants, gravel and even snails. When I got here and
        > set everything up, I thought the snails had died but they came out
        > after about a week. The plants had the hardest time, apparently;
        > I've lost many leaves on my amazons, much to my dismay, and my java
        > ferns came apart from the wood they had attached themselves to, in
        > what I've since read as a desperate attempt to survive under
        stress;
        > my java moss was fine--I don't think I could kill it if I tried--
        and
        > my ozelot sword seemed to benefit. So, to make everyone feel
        better
        > I went and bought the new CO2 natural system from Hagen--actually
        two
        > of them--and now everything seems to be coming together nicely. My
        > only complaint is that my amazon leaves are much smaller than the
        old
        > leaves--there's more leaves, but they are half the size of my
        > originals, and I finally had to trim back the shoots, take the
        babies
        > off and plant them because they were getting more and more ragged
        as
        > each day passed. I've been fertilizing once a week, so I don't
        know
        > what to do except go and buy a new light. I think sometimes the
        reds
        > and blues in these lights fade, so that's the next goal. But moves
        > are expensive, so all in due time.
        > Meanwhile if anyone ever wants any tips on moving hundreds of miles
        > through LA traffic, feel free to email me: TCGraham72@a... I
        > never said it was easy, but it was successful with no casualties at
        > all.
      • David Carson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
          I know that this will sound like heresy, but the dyi co2 system is for
          the birds. Go out and spend $150 and get a tank and regulator. It will
          last for over a year and produces a consistent flow. Put the output
          hose into the filter intake and you have a great system without the fuss
          and mess. Of course you do miss out on the fine beverage that the dyi
          system makes.
          dsc

          <lauderdalemuscle@y...> wrote:
          > I joined in March and have enjoyd reading all of the archived
          files,
          > but I've been checking for new messages but to no avail, then
          decided
          > I would post one. I live in San Diego (recently relocated from
          Fla.)
          > with a 55gal planted tank. I managed to successfully move my
          angels,
          > clown loaches, redtail shark, and one african frog on my last move
          > along with my plants, gravel and even snails. When I got here and
          > set everything up, I thought the snails had died but they came out
          > after about a week. The plants had the hardest time, apparently;
          > I've lost many leaves on my amazons, much to my dismay, and my java
          > ferns came apart from the wood they had attached themselves to, in
          > what I've since read as a desperate attempt to survive under
          stress;
          > my java moss was fine--I don't think I could kill it if I tried--
          and
          > my ozelot sword seemed to benefit. So, to make everyone feel
          better
          > I went and bought the new CO2 natural system from Hagen--actually
          two
          > of them--and now everything seems to be coming together nicely. My
          > only complaint is that my amazon leaves are much smaller than the
          old
          > leaves--there's more leaves, but they are half the size of my
          > originals, and I finally had to trim back the shoots, take the
          babies
          > off and plant them because they were getting more and more ragged
          as
          > each day passed. I've been fertilizing once a week, so I don't
          know
          > what to do except go and buy a new light. I think sometimes the
          reds
          > and blues in these lights fade, so that's the next goal. But moves
          > are expensive, so all in due time.
          > Meanwhile if anyone ever wants any tips on moving hundreds of miles
          > through LA traffic, feel free to email me: TCGraham72@a... I
          > never said it was easy, but it was successful with no casualties at
          > all.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • jon
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
            I agree, But when you have marine reef setups (more than one) and FW
            setups (more than one) I am running out of reasons for not buying the
            kid shoes, because "_______" was more important. So for the little
            bit of work that it takes to keep mixing the sludge, it is worth it.

            JT

            --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, "David Carson" <dcarson@b...>

          • rjga@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
              I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room that I don't need and would
              like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top but the other is good. I
              can check them out this weekend and provide details of what I have. Respond
              directly to me (not the group) if interested, and I'll get back to you next
              week.

              Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
              Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
              Environmental Consultants
              8480 Garvey Drive
              Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
              tel (919) 872-1174
              fax (919) 872-9214
              URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
              e-mail rgoldstein@...

            • Vincent Tan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                Hi,

                I can get a 2 litre tank with a regulator, a bubble
                counter, a atomizor, a ph/kh test kit, base
                fertilizers and trace elements, all for USD 60.

                Made in Taiwan.

                Cheerios
                Vincent

                --- rjga@... wrote:
                > I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room
                > that I don't need and would
                > like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top
                > but the other is good. I
                > can check them out this weekend and provide details
                > of what I have. Respond
                > directly to me (not the group) if interested, and
                > I'll get back to you next
                > week.
                >
                > Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                > Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                > Environmental Consultants
                > 8480 Garvey Drive
                > Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                > tel (919) 872-1174
                > fax (919) 872-9214
                > URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                > e-mail rgoldstein@...

                > removed]

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • trampas graham
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Well I'm starting to think you guys might be right, that this Hagen
                  natural system is for the birds, because my growth is nothing
                  phenomenal--in fact it is the same as without the system--even though
                  I've checked to make sure it is working properly, have two systems
                  according to my tank size, etc. I am in my second month of using it
                  (cleaning out sludge isn't bad for me, as I was raised on a farm, I
                  guess) but at this point I would agree with many others in simply
                  making their own; there are enough archives in this group alone that
                  can show others what to do, and buy the yeast at Albertson's or
                  wherever you live. I'm going to give these little systems another
                  two months and then try something new, I guess.
                  Trampas C. Graham

                  --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Tan <hairy_troll@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I can get a 2 litre tank with a regulator, a bubble
                  > counter, a atomizor, a ph/kh test kit, base
                  > fertilizers and trace elements, all for USD 60.
                  >
                  > Made in Taiwan.
                  >
                  > Cheerios
                  > Vincent
                  >

                  > --- rjga@a... wrote:
                  > > I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room
                  > > that I don't need and would
                  > > like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top
                  > > but the other is good. I
                  > > can check them out this weekend and provide details
                  > > of what I have. Respond
                  > > directly to me (not the group) if interested, and
                  > > I'll get back to you next
                  > > week.
                  > >
                  > > Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                  > > Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                  > > Environmental Consultants
                  > > 8480 Garvey Drive
                  > > Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                  > > tel (919) 872-1174
                  > > fax (919) 872-9214
                  > > URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                  > > e-mail rgoldstein@r...

                  > > removed]

                  > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • jon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                    how recent was the move? plant take some time to re-adjust. When I
                    moved my mother two blocks north of her old place, it took almost a
                    month before signs of life. Now she is triming the plants once a week.

                    Oh, what type of light do you have and how old is it?

                    <lauderdalemuscle@y...> wrote:
                    > Well I'm starting to think you guys might be right, that this Hagen
                    > natural system is for the birds, because my growth is nothing
                    > phenomenal--in fact it is the same as without the system--even
                    though
                    > I've checked to make sure it is working properly, have two systems
                    > according to my tank size, etc. I am in my second month of using
                    it
                    > (cleaning out sludge isn't bad for me, as I was raised on a farm, I
                    > guess) but at this point I would agree with many others in simply
                    > making their own; there are enough archives in this group alone
                    that
                    > can show others what to do, and buy the yeast at Albertson's or
                    > wherever you live. I'm going to give these little systems another
                    > two months and then try something new, I guess.
                    > Trampas C. Graham
                    >
                    > --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Tan
                    <hairy_troll@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > I can get a 2 litre tank with a regulator, a bubble
                    > > counter, a atomizor, a ph/kh test kit, base
                    > > fertilizers and trace elements, all for USD 60.
                    > >
                    > > Made in Taiwan.
                    > >
                    > > Cheerios
                    > > Vincent
                    > >

                    > > --- rjga@a... wrote:
                    > > > I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room
                    > > > that I don't need and would
                    > > > like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top
                    > > > but the other is good. I
                    > > > can check them out this weekend and provide details
                    > > > of what I have. Respond
                    > > > directly to me (not the group) if interested, and
                    > > > I'll get back to you next
                    > > > week.
                    > > >
                    > > > Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                    > > > Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                    > > > Environmental Consultants
                    > > > 8480 Garvey Drive
                    > > > Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                    > > > tel (919) 872-1174
                    > > > fax (919) 872-9214
                    > > > URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                    > > > e-mail rgoldstein@r...

                    > > > removed]

                    > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
                    > > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                  • trampas graham
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                      The move occured just over one month, and I've done one trimming; but
                      thanks for helping me realize that a move requires adjustment; I also
                      had to use Cycle, which always thins out plant leaves, because San
                      Diego water is extremely hard (8.3+) as well as PH Down in order to
                      start everything the tank out right. But I didn't lose any fish, I'm
                      proud to say. The amazons are half the size they once were, but the
                      new leaves are growing quickly.
                      Thanks, Trampas C Graham

                    • trampas graham
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                        Oh--to answer the question about the light: it's old and needs to be
                        replaced, I'm sure. I have two lights, and one is for saltwater
                        because I like the effects. The other is a standard aquarium plant
                        light and I'm going to Aquatic Warehouse this weekend to buy a new
                        one; they are like Costco for fish and plants, they are so big.

                      • trampas graham
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 7, 2003
                          I bought the new light today, and got a power-glow 15W; that, along
                          with a marine light I use for effect should be enough to do the
                          trick. I also bought a bottle of Kent Botanica Grow instead of the
                          cheaper stuff I'd been using. Oh, and I just bought a huge Bolbitus
                          fern, which I spent the afternoon threading into a large piece of
                          african wood that has java moss around the front. The fern is now
                          attached to the back, and really looks great. This is a new plant to
                          me so I've been reading alot about it. I've just never seen an
                          aquatic fern so large in size. So, now I'll sit back and trim for
                          the next couple of months. Even though I won't be posting probably,
                          I will be reading.
                          Trampas C. Graham