current postings?

  • trampas graham
    Message 1 of 12 , May 29, 2003
      I joined in March and have enjoyd reading all of the archived files,
      but I've been checking for new messages but to no avail, then decided
      I would post one. I live in San Diego (recently relocated from Fla.)
      with a 55gal planted tank. I managed to successfully move my angels,
      clown loaches, redtail shark, and one african frog on my last move
      along with my plants, gravel and even snails. When I got here and
      set everything up, I thought the snails had died but they came out
      after about a week. The plants had the hardest time, apparently;
      I've lost many leaves on my amazons, much to my dismay, and my java
      ferns came apart from the wood they had attached themselves to, in
      what I've since read as a desperate attempt to survive under stress;
      my java moss was fine--I don't think I could kill it if I tried--and
      my ozelot sword seemed to benefit. So, to make everyone feel better
      I went and bought the new CO2 natural system from Hagen--actually two
      of them--and now everything seems to be coming together nicely. My
      only complaint is that my amazon leaves are much smaller than the old
      leaves--there's more leaves, but they are half the size of my
      originals, and I finally had to trim back the shoots, take the babies
      off and plant them because they were getting more and more ragged as
      each day passed. I've been fertilizing once a week, so I don't know
      what to do except go and buy a new light. I think sometimes the reds
      and blues in these lights fade, so that's the next goal. But moves
      are expensive, so all in due time.
      Meanwhile if anyone ever wants any tips on moving hundreds of miles
      through LA traffic, feel free to email me: TCGraham72@.... I
      never said it was easy, but it was successful with no casualties at
      all.
    • Vincent Tan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi,

        nice job on moving.

        I am planning to set up a new 90gal tank. I am search
        through whatever archives available to get the best
        practises on setting up a large tank.

        Cheerios
        Vincent

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • jon
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
          I know that you have said that you bought new Co2 systems, but did
          you try making your own? Those systems are good for 20gal's each if
          they are the ones that I am thinking of. You can also use sugar and
          yeast instead of buying the pouches for them.

          JT

          --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, "trampas graham"
          <lauderdalemuscle@y...> wrote:
          > I joined in March and have enjoyd reading all of the archived
          files,
          > but I've been checking for new messages but to no avail, then
          decided
          > I would post one. I live in San Diego (recently relocated from
          Fla.)
          > with a 55gal planted tank. I managed to successfully move my
          angels,
          > clown loaches, redtail shark, and one african frog on my last move
          > along with my plants, gravel and even snails. When I got here and
          > set everything up, I thought the snails had died but they came out
          > after about a week. The plants had the hardest time, apparently;
          > I've lost many leaves on my amazons, much to my dismay, and my java
          > ferns came apart from the wood they had attached themselves to, in
          > what I've since read as a desperate attempt to survive under
          stress;
          > my java moss was fine--I don't think I could kill it if I tried--
          and
          > my ozelot sword seemed to benefit. So, to make everyone feel
          better
          > I went and bought the new CO2 natural system from Hagen--actually
          two
          > of them--and now everything seems to be coming together nicely. My
          > only complaint is that my amazon leaves are much smaller than the
          old
          > leaves--there's more leaves, but they are half the size of my
          > originals, and I finally had to trim back the shoots, take the
          babies
          > off and plant them because they were getting more and more ragged
          as
          > each day passed. I've been fertilizing once a week, so I don't
          know
          > what to do except go and buy a new light. I think sometimes the
          reds
          > and blues in these lights fade, so that's the next goal. But moves
          > are expensive, so all in due time.
          > Meanwhile if anyone ever wants any tips on moving hundreds of miles
          > through LA traffic, feel free to email me: TCGraham72@a... I
          > never said it was easy, but it was successful with no casualties at
          > all.
        • David Carson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
            I know that this will sound like heresy, but the dyi co2 system is for
            the birds. Go out and spend $150 and get a tank and regulator. It will
            last for over a year and produces a consistent flow. Put the output
            hose into the filter intake and you have a great system without the fuss
            and mess. Of course you do miss out on the fine beverage that the dyi
            system makes.
            dsc

            <lauderdalemuscle@y...> wrote:
            > I joined in March and have enjoyd reading all of the archived
            files,
            > but I've been checking for new messages but to no avail, then
            decided
            > I would post one. I live in San Diego (recently relocated from
            Fla.)
            > with a 55gal planted tank. I managed to successfully move my
            angels,
            > clown loaches, redtail shark, and one african frog on my last move
            > along with my plants, gravel and even snails. When I got here and
            > set everything up, I thought the snails had died but they came out
            > after about a week. The plants had the hardest time, apparently;
            > I've lost many leaves on my amazons, much to my dismay, and my java
            > ferns came apart from the wood they had attached themselves to, in
            > what I've since read as a desperate attempt to survive under
            stress;
            > my java moss was fine--I don't think I could kill it if I tried--
            and
            > my ozelot sword seemed to benefit. So, to make everyone feel
            better
            > I went and bought the new CO2 natural system from Hagen--actually
            two
            > of them--and now everything seems to be coming together nicely. My
            > only complaint is that my amazon leaves are much smaller than the
            old
            > leaves--there's more leaves, but they are half the size of my
            > originals, and I finally had to trim back the shoots, take the
            babies
            > off and plant them because they were getting more and more ragged
            as
            > each day passed. I've been fertilizing once a week, so I don't
            know
            > what to do except go and buy a new light. I think sometimes the
            reds
            > and blues in these lights fade, so that's the next goal. But moves
            > are expensive, so all in due time.
            > Meanwhile if anyone ever wants any tips on moving hundreds of miles
            > through LA traffic, feel free to email me: TCGraham72@a... I
            > never said it was easy, but it was successful with no casualties at
            > all.

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • jon
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
              I agree, But when you have marine reef setups (more than one) and FW
              setups (more than one) I am running out of reasons for not buying the
              kid shoes, because "_______" was more important. So for the little
              bit of work that it takes to keep mixing the sludge, it is worth it.

              JT

              --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, "David Carson" <dcarson@b...>

            • rjga@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room that I don't need and would
                like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top but the other is good. I
                can check them out this weekend and provide details of what I have. Respond
                directly to me (not the group) if interested, and I'll get back to you next
                week.

                Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                Environmental Consultants
                8480 Garvey Drive
                Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                tel (919) 872-1174
                fax (919) 872-9214
                URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                e-mail rgoldstein@...

              • Vincent Tan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Hi,

                  I can get a 2 litre tank with a regulator, a bubble
                  counter, a atomizor, a ph/kh test kit, base
                  fertilizers and trace elements, all for USD 60.

                  Made in Taiwan.

                  Cheerios
                  Vincent

                  --- rjga@... wrote:
                  > I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room
                  > that I don't need and would
                  > like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top
                  > but the other is good. I
                  > can check them out this weekend and provide details
                  > of what I have. Respond
                  > directly to me (not the group) if interested, and
                  > I'll get back to you next
                  > week.
                  >
                  > Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                  > Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                  > Environmental Consultants
                  > 8480 Garvey Drive
                  > Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                  > tel (919) 872-1174
                  > fax (919) 872-9214
                  > URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                  > e-mail rgoldstein@...

                  > removed]

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • trampas graham
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Well I'm starting to think you guys might be right, that this Hagen
                    natural system is for the birds, because my growth is nothing
                    phenomenal--in fact it is the same as without the system--even though
                    I've checked to make sure it is working properly, have two systems
                    according to my tank size, etc. I am in my second month of using it
                    (cleaning out sludge isn't bad for me, as I was raised on a farm, I
                    guess) but at this point I would agree with many others in simply
                    making their own; there are enough archives in this group alone that
                    can show others what to do, and buy the yeast at Albertson's or
                    wherever you live. I'm going to give these little systems another
                    two months and then try something new, I guess.
                    Trampas C. Graham

                    --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Tan <hairy_troll@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I can get a 2 litre tank with a regulator, a bubble
                    > counter, a atomizor, a ph/kh test kit, base
                    > fertilizers and trace elements, all for USD 60.
                    >
                    > Made in Taiwan.
                    >
                    > Cheerios
                    > Vincent
                    >

                    > --- rjga@a... wrote:
                    > > I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room
                    > > that I don't need and would
                    > > like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top
                    > > but the other is good. I
                    > > can check them out this weekend and provide details
                    > > of what I have. Respond
                    > > directly to me (not the group) if interested, and
                    > > I'll get back to you next
                    > > week.
                    > >
                    > > Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                    > > Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                    > > Environmental Consultants
                    > > 8480 Garvey Drive
                    > > Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                    > > tel (919) 872-1174
                    > > fax (919) 872-9214
                    > > URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                    > > e-mail rgoldstein@r...

                    > > removed]

                    > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                  • jon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                      how recent was the move? plant take some time to re-adjust. When I
                      moved my mother two blocks north of her old place, it took almost a
                      month before signs of life. Now she is triming the plants once a week.

                      Oh, what type of light do you have and how old is it?

                      <lauderdalemuscle@y...> wrote:
                      > Well I'm starting to think you guys might be right, that this Hagen
                      > natural system is for the birds, because my growth is nothing
                      > phenomenal--in fact it is the same as without the system--even
                      though
                      > I've checked to make sure it is working properly, have two systems
                      > according to my tank size, etc. I am in my second month of using
                      it
                      > (cleaning out sludge isn't bad for me, as I was raised on a farm, I
                      > guess) but at this point I would agree with many others in simply
                      > making their own; there are enough archives in this group alone
                      that
                      > can show others what to do, and buy the yeast at Albertson's or
                      > wherever you live. I'm going to give these little systems another
                      > two months and then try something new, I guess.
                      > Trampas C. Graham
                      >
                      > --- In aquatic-plants@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Tan
                      <hairy_troll@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I can get a 2 litre tank with a regulator, a bubble
                      > > counter, a atomizor, a ph/kh test kit, base
                      > > fertilizers and trace elements, all for USD 60.
                      > >
                      > > Made in Taiwan.
                      > >
                      > > Cheerios
                      > > Vincent
                      > >

                      > > --- rjga@a... wrote:
                      > > > I believe I have two CO2 systems in my fish room
                      > > > that I don't need and would
                      > > > like to sell. One has a damaged plastic cylinder top
                      > > > but the other is good. I
                      > > > can check them out this weekend and provide details
                      > > > of what I have. Respond
                      > > > directly to me (not the group) if interested, and
                      > > > I'll get back to you next
                      > > > week.
                      > > >
                      > > > Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
                      > > > Robert J. Goldstein & Associates, Inc.
                      > > > Environmental Consultants
                      > > > 8480 Garvey Drive
                      > > > Raleigh, NC 27616 USA
                      > > > tel (919) 872-1174
                      > > > fax (919) 872-9214
                      > > > URL www.rjgaCarolina.com
                      > > > e-mail rgoldstein@r...

                      > > > removed]

                      > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
                      > > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                    • trampas graham
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                        The move occured just over one month, and I've done one trimming; but
                        thanks for helping me realize that a move requires adjustment; I also
                        had to use Cycle, which always thins out plant leaves, because San
                        Diego water is extremely hard (8.3+) as well as PH Down in order to
                        start everything the tank out right. But I didn't lose any fish, I'm
                        proud to say. The amazons are half the size they once were, but the
                        new leaves are growing quickly.
                        Thanks, Trampas C Graham

                      • trampas graham
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                          Oh--to answer the question about the light: it's old and needs to be
                          replaced, I'm sure. I have two lights, and one is for saltwater
                          because I like the effects. The other is a standard aquarium plant
                          light and I'm going to Aquatic Warehouse this weekend to buy a new
                          one; they are like Costco for fish and plants, they are so big.

                        • trampas graham
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 7, 2003
                            I bought the new light today, and got a power-glow 15W; that, along
                            with a marine light I use for effect should be enough to do the
                            trick. I also bought a bottle of Kent Botanica Grow instead of the
                            cheaper stuff I'd been using. Oh, and I just bought a huge Bolbitus
                            fern, which I spent the afternoon threading into a large piece of
                            african wood that has java moss around the front. The fern is now
                            attached to the back, and really looks great. This is a new plant to
                            me so I've been reading alot about it. I've just never seen an
                            aquatic fern so large in size. So, now I'll sit back and trim for
                            the next couple of months. Even though I won't be posting probably,
                            I will be reading.
                            Trampas C. Graham