Re: [aquatic-plants] What substrate to use?

  • Bob Ashcraft
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 5:48 AM
      Profile Aquatic Plant Soil. It's produced for pond use, but works
      exceptionally well in aquariums. I have a 72g with a 4 year old Profile
      substrate and have never had a problem with it. I think I paid $8.00 for 10
      lb. and used 3 bags.

      Bob

      Scott Lewis wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm getting set to get back into the aquarium game after a hiatus
      > of some 30 years. There are a lot of new (to me anyway)
      > knowledge about the care and feeding of the fish and plants.
      > Right now I'm putting together a shopping list for my first tank.
      >
      > This tank will be 72+ gallons with killifish and compatible tank
      > mates. I want to plant it pretty heavily. I don't know what
      > plants I'll be using as I'm still working on a plan and may be
      > back with questions about them.
      >
      > But, to get to the point. What would be a good base (substrate?)
      > to lay down for good plant growth? I'm thinking something like 3
      > inches total with 1" gravel, 1" to 1.5" rooting material and 0.5"
      > to 1" of gravel on top. I'll probably slope it toward the front
      > a bit and possibly do some terracing. BTW, there will be no UGF
      > involved.
      >
      > Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've done some surfing
      > on the 'soil' for the plants and come away more confused than
      > when I started.
      >
      > --
      > Scott
      >
      > -- Microsoft Outlook, the hacker's path to your hard disk.

    • Don Tuleja
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 7:49 AM
        Check out Seachem's Fluorite. It comes in two colors: regular (dark
        brownish/black color) and Red. I used red in my 30 and love it.

        Fair warning though. No matter how well you rinse it, it will take a coupla
        days for your tank to clear after you fill it. :-)

        Great stuff though.

        Don

        ----Original Message Follows----

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 7:58 AM
          I use profile, which is used for an aqautic plant soil and general soil
          conditioner. It is hard to work with sometimes when it comes to vacuuming the
          bottom, but plants love it.

          TV

          What is our aim? Victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of
          all terror;
          Victory how ever long and hard the road may be.
          Sir Winston Churchill
        • FocaiPoint@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1 8:01 AM
            Fluorite !!!
            The best, no muss substrate around.
          • David Carson
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1 8:01 AM
              I think that this whole question really revolves around how the tank is
              going to be set up. I set my 55 up with an under gravel heater. On top of
              that I put about 1" of gravel. Then laterite with another 1.5" of gravel.
              The plants seem to like that. I also have a co2 system in place. I
              sparingly use additional fertilizer. Of course with this set up you cannot
              get to aggressive with bottom cleaning. Fluorite is an alternative and
              allows more messing with the bottom. It is available at Pet Warehouse.
              David

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1 6:15 PM
                > Check out Seachem's Fluorite. It comes in two colors: regular (dark
                > brownish/black color) and Red. I used red in my 30 and love it.

                So far, I've got Fluorite, Laterite and Profile.

                I've been bouncing all over on the net reading on too many
                subjects. I thought I recalled Fluorite and/or Laterite being
                additives rather than 'soils' in their own right.

                I'm sure everyone has their own layering schemes. I was thinking
                about 1/1.5/0.5-1 inches of gravel/soil/top gravel. Am I in the
                ballpark and is 0.5" of gravel too thin for the top layer?

                BTW, I'm really not interested in going with a UGF. My tank will
                be strictly external filters/accessories with the exception of
                filter intake/return/spray bar and probably air.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4 5:59 AM
                  Scott Lewis wrote:

                  > BTW, I'm really not interested in going with a UGF. My tank will
                  > be strictly external filters/accessories with the exception of
                  > filter intake/return/spray bar and probably air.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott

                  No one uses UG's anymore. They really have no benefit.

                  If, by air, you mean bubbles, you don't want them. Especially if you plan on
                  using co2.

                  Bob
                • Don Tuleja
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4 7:58 AM
                    I use Fluorite and regular gravel in a 50/50 mix. Only because I didn't
                    wanna buy another $20 bag of fluorite. ;-)

                    It can be used by itself. Check out Seachem's website
                    http://www.seachem.com/en_products/product_pages/371_flourite_red.html
                    and you'll see more.

                    Don

                  • Scott Lewis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4 7:01 PM
                      Bob Ashcraft wrote:

                      > Scott Lewis wrote:
                      >

                      > > BTW, I'm really not interested in going with a UGF. My tank will
                      > > be strictly external filters/accessories with the exception of
                      > > filter intake/return/spray bar and probably air.
                      >
                      > No one uses UG's anymore. They really have no benefit.
                      >
                      > If, by air, you mean bubbles, you don't want them. Especially if you plan on
                      > using co2.

                      I don't know why I added the 'air'. Don't know what I was
                      thinking other than that I just wanted to point out that I wasn't
                      going the UGF route.

                      In fact, I've been looking at and thinking about CO2. If I did,
                      the spray bar would definitely have to go. Makes me wonder how
                      much difference in gas exchange at the water surface there is
                      between a overflow vs. underwater outlet to the filter. I
                      haven't ordered the tank yet. There is an available option of
                      the corner overflow outlets available in the size/style I want.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5 5:32 AM
                        Scott Lewis wrote:

                        > > If, by air, you mean bubbles, you don't want them. Especially if you plan on
                        > > using co2.
                        >
                        > I don't know why I added the 'air'. Don't know what I was
                        > thinking other than that I just wanted to point out that I wasn't
                        > going the UGF route.
                        >
                        > In fact, I've been looking at and thinking about CO2. If I did,
                        > the spray bar would definitely have to go.

                        The spray bar will work very well if it's placed under the surface. Mine is
                        located in the back, at the very bottom, spraying forward.

                        > Makes me wonder how
                        > much difference in gas exchange at the water surface there is
                        > between a overflow vs. underwater outlet to the filter. I
                        > haven't ordered the tank yet. There is an available option of
                        > the corner overflow outlets available in the size/style I want.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Scott

                        If you can see the surface of the water being disturbed, co2 is being outguessed.

                        Bob