hi i'm new to this club and newer to aquatic plants

  • John Lynn
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
      hi everyone, first let me introduce myself, my name is John, i'm a
      ordinary high school student, and had recently being addicted... to
      aquariums. I started off with a 20 gallon high tank with a power
      filter, undergravel filter, a floricent light, heater, u know, typical
      stuff, and I had that tank for about a month or two so, so I'm still a
      newbie with A LOT of knowledge :-). then recently I bought another 20
      gallon high tank, with almost the same setup except no undergravel
      filter. But I'm not too concern about those two tanks, because I'm
      planning on sticking with plastic plants for those two. But what I'm
      concern is my big tank (well not all that big)that's coming this
      thursday, a 55 gallon tank. for this tank I'm planning on using real
      plants, that's why I bought galss versa tops, along with twin-tubes
      floricent light (big investment there). What I want to know are
      pretty much the basics. Such as what kinda of plants should I start
      off with and their requirements? and what kind of fish I can put
      in with them? Should I put my plants after the cycle has been
      takin place? What extra equipments should I get for my plants? Is CO2
      injector really a necessary? normal aquarium water suitable for the
      plants? fish waste really enough fertalizing? and such and such. So
      guys please reply and help me with my going-to-be-soon 55 gallon
      beautiful planted tank, and sure enough, it will be dedicated to you
      guys :-) have a good day, sincerly, John
    • Kyle
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2000
        --- In aquatic-plants@egroups.com, "John Lynn" <john-memorial-hs@h...> wrote:
        > hi everyone, first let me introduce myself, my name is John, i'm a
        > ordinary high school student, and had recently being addicted... to
        > aquariums. I started off with a 20 gallon high tank with a power
        > filter, undergravel filter, a floricent light, heater, u know, typical
        > stuff, and I had that tank for about a month or two so, so I'm still a
        > newbie with A LOT of knowledge :-). then recently I bought another 20
        > gallon high tank, with almost the same setup except no undergravel
        > filter. But I'm not too concern about those two tanks, because I'm
        > planning on sticking with plastic plants for those two. But what I'm
        > concern is my big tank (well not all that big)that's coming this
        > thursday, a 55 gallon tank. for this tank I'm planning on using real
        > plants, that's why I bought galss versa tops, along with twin-tubes
        > floricent light (big investment there). What I want to know are
        > pretty much the basics. Such as what kinda of plants should I start
        > off with and their requirements? and what kind of fish I can put
        > in with them? Should I put my plants after the cycle has been
        > takin place? What extra equipments should I get for my plants? Is CO2
        > injector really a necessary? normal aquarium water suitable for the
        > plants? fish waste really enough fertalizing? and such and such. So
        > guys please reply and help me with my going-to-be-soon 55 gallon
        > beautiful planted tank, and sure enough, it will be dedicated to you
        > guys :-) have a good day, sincerly, John

        Hi John, when my 125g. was fairly new I had great success with Vallisneria gigantea(Giant Val), microsorium pteropus(Java fern) and dwarf water lilies(Nymphaea sp.). Various swordplants would be worth a try(Echinodorus sp.) also. I also had success with Cryptocorynes. Anubias fairly much just sat still for me.

        Giant Val and Java fern are pretty much foolproof in my experience. Good beginner plants, I think.