Re: [aprspoint] Re: APRSPoint

  • N9FEB
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 16, 2007
      I am trying to install APRSPoint on a second machine.
      MapPoint is working.
      APRSPoint says "Failed to initialize Mappoint North America" then "error 35601"

      Help, please.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
        What OS is this on? Try open a dos prompt, and change the current folder to where you installed mappoint, then run 'regsvr32 mappointcontrol.ocx'. See if this fixes the problem.

        http://www.aprspoint.com
        KF6ZDM, Michael H. Cai

        If the 339 error msg is about mappointcontrol. ocx, make sure you have installed mappoint and you can run mappoint ok by itself. If it's complaining about 'comdlg32.ocx' or 'tabctl32.ocx' , get the vista.bat file from the files section and run it.

        http://www.aprspoin t.com
        KF6ZDM, Michael H. Cai

        Cai I get an error code of 339 and now I am using Windows Vista
        I purchased the 2 Disc APRSPOINT with Microsoft MapPoint
        Can you help ?
        Sincerely,
        Philip Koban old Call was KA0PEK now K0BAN
        73's for now

        > What problem are you having? Can you be more specific about the
        steps or error messages you were getting?

        > http://www.aprspoin t.com
        > KF6ZDM, Michael H. Cai

      • michael c sanford
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
          it's on windows xp and filters are off and the is no data in 'veiw window' on aprs.  after alot of digging on the net and asking others using this packet engine we decided the sigmatel sound card was not compatible, ordered a external sound card that will work. thank you for your help, aprspoint is fantastic in tcpip and hope the same when rf. mike

          Aprspoint <aprspoint@...> wrote:
          What OS is this on? Try open a dos prompt, and change the current folder to where you installed mappoint, then run 'regsvr32 mappointcontrol.ocx'. See if this fixes the problem.

          http://www.aprspoint.com
          KF6ZDM, Michael H. Cai

          If the 339 error msg is about mappointcontrol. ocx, make sure you have installed mappoint and you can run mappoint ok by itself. If it's complaining about 'comdlg32.ocx' or 'tabctl32.ocx' , get the vista.bat file from the files section and run it.

          http://www.aprspoin t.com
          KF6ZDM, Michael H. Cai

          Cai I get an error code of 339 and now I am using Windows Vista
          I purchased the 2 Disc APRSPOINT with Microsoft MapPoint
          Can you help ?
          Sincerely,
          Philip Koban old Call was KA0PEK now K0BAN
          73's for now

          > What problem are you having? Can you be more specific about the
          steps or error messages you were getting?

          > http://www.aprspoin t.com
          > KF6ZDM, Michael H. Cai

        • Stephen H. Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 17, 2007
            michael c sanford wrote:
            it's on windows xp and filters are off and the is no data in 'veiw window' on aprs.  after alot of digging on the net and asking others using this packet engine we decided the sigmatel sound card was not compatible, ordered a external sound card that will work. thank you for your help, aprspoint is fantastic in tcpip and hope the same when rf. mike

            The original sound system appears to be one of those brain-dead low-end motherboard-based sound systems.

            The low-cost integrated sound systems in modern price-sensitive PCs have almost no hardware in them. They substitute massive software drivers and dump the sound processing tasks on the main CPU instead of using dedicated precisely-timed hardware.  The sampling rate is determined by the (rather cheap and poorly calibrated) main CPU clock and the system interrupts it generates. ("Real" sound cards have a separate accurately-calibrated crystal-controlled timebase.)

            Worse, the audio sampling rate will actually vary, depending on the CPU loading, and how many other programs are running in the computer at the same time. This includes background stuff like antivirus scanners, TCP/IP communications activity, firewalls,  printer drivers, stupid gadgets in the systray, etc.

            AGW is notorious for being intolerant of incorrect and varying timing.    It works far better on "real" sound cards (or external USB-connected sound devices) that have their own accurate and constant timebase.

            The ultimate irony is that older, slower laptops (i.e. Pentium II era before the rush to reduce parts count and cost) usually had dedicated sound card hardware chips (complete with their own crystal-controlled timebases) identical to the ones on plug-in PCI cards for desktop machines.  These older, slower machines worked far better with AGW than today's superfast but brain-dead hotrods.

            Late PII or P-III era machines are to be valued as ham terminals because they had decent sound systems -AND- they usually had REAL serial ports......

            --

            Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
            EchoLink Node:      14400    [Think bottom of the 2M band]

            NEW!   World Digipeater Map
              http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps

            JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide

            "APRS 101"  Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
              http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

            Updated "Rev H" APRS            http://wa8lmf.net/aprs
            Symbols Set for UI-View,
            UIpoint and APRSplus:

          • Dave Tyler
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2015
              Are you looking for the APRS Point program or MapPoint?

              Dave KF6DQ