Re: [aprspoint] Is APRSPoint no longer supported?

  • Reg
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2011
      On 12 December 2011 15:46, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf@...> wrote:

      > On 12/12/2011 10:42 AM, Reg wrote:
      >

      > My dislike of AP is that it requires the bloated MP to run, so I only
      > use it at home.
      >
      > For mobile or portable use it would be good if those offering to take
      > over support, would use the freely available API with OziExplorer.
      > OziEx already supports AIS.
      >
      > Reg
      >

      > This would be virtually impossible since APRSpoint is essentially a plugin for MapPoint.  .It is completely dependent on MapPoint's internal functions.    There is no realistic way it could function with any other mapping products without being re-written from scratch.

      My point was that, _if_, AP has been abandoned by it's owner, then
      those who bought it could abandon it also. Then move over to OziEx.

      Darryl Smith, VK2TDS, wrote an add-on for OziEx which has also been abandoned:-

      <http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/netaprs.html>

      It displayed APRS on a OziExplorer map. Worldwide maps are freely
      available, especially for the USA.

      Reg
    • peter.summerhawk@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 12, 2011
        I for one would like to if the author has indeed abandoned APRSPoint to at least turn the licensing over to someone that would be willing to continue the work and develop it for better features and implement some other useful add-ons such as smart beacons. I know there are several on this list that would be willing to make this a community project to keep the software going.

        Peter Summerhawk

        From: Reg <lists.reg@...>
        Sender: aprspoint@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:12:32 +0000
        To: <aprspoint@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: aprspoint@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [aprspoint] Is APRSPoint no longer supported?

        On 12 December 2011 15:46, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf@...> wrote:

        > On 12/12/2011 10:42 AM, Reg wrote:
        >

        > My dislike of AP is that it requires the bloated MP to run, so I only
        > use it at home.
        >
        > For mobile or portable use it would be good if those offering to take
        > over support, would use the freely available API with OziExplorer.
        > OziEx already supports AIS.
        >
        > Reg
        >

        > This would be virtually impossible since APRSpoint is essentially a plugin for MapPoint.  .It is completely dependent on MapPoint's internal functions.    There is no realistic way it could function with any other mapping products without being re-written from scratch.

        My point was that, _if_, AP has been abandoned by it's owner, then
        those who bought it could abandon it also. Then move over to OziEx.

        Darryl Smith, VK2TDS, wrote an add-on for OziEx which has also been abandoned:-

        <http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/netaprs.html>

        It displayed APRS on a OziExplorer map. Worldwide maps are freely
        available, especially for the USA.

        Reg

      • Stephen H. Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2011
          On 12/12/2011 11:12 AM, Reg wrote:
          On 12 December 2011 15:46, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf@...> wrote:

          For mobile or portable use it would be good if those offering to take
          over support, would use the freely available API with OziExplorer.
          OziEx already supports AIS.

          Reg

          This would be virtually impossible since APRSpoint is essentially a plugin for MapPoint.  .It is completely dependent on MapPoint's internal functions.    There is no realistic way it could function with any other mapping products without being re-written from scratch.

          My point was that, _if_, AP has been abandoned by it's owner, then
          those who bought it could abandon it also.  Then move over to OziEx.

          This appears to me to make no sense at all.

          Why would one bother to  "take over" a development project, only to turn around and abandon it, and develop something entirely different?

          Why can't one develop something different directly, without wasting time and money taking over abandonware first?

          --

          Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
          Skype:        WA8LMF

          *****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
             http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

           Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
              http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

          HF APRS over PSK63
             http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

          "APRS 101"  Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
            http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths