Redmond magazine

  • Ed Bruette
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
      Hi,

      On Thurs. 16 Feb. I will be interviewed by Redmond Magazine for an article they are doing on MapPoint.  They contacted me because of input I provided regarding the usage of MapPoint and APRSPoint.  The writer said, "I'd like to get your thoughts on the product overall -- what's good about it, what's not so good, and anything you might have on your wishlist for it."

      The reason I bring this to the list is because I see this as an opportunity to get meaningful input into Microsoft.  We all use  MapPoint differently and I'd like to give the writer as much information as possible.  Please send your thoughts in time for me to review them before I go to bed Wed night.  Thanks.

      73,
      Ed, N7NVP
    • wa8lmf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
        On Thurs. 16 Feb. I will be interviewed by Redmond Magazine for an
        article they are doing on MapPoint. They contacted me because of input
        I provided regarding the usage of MapPoint and APRSPoint. The writer
        said, "I'd like to get your thoughts on the product overall -- what's
        good about it, what's not so good, and anything you might have on your
        wishlist for it."

        The reason I bring this to the list is because I see this as an
        opportunity to get meaningful input into Microsoft. We all use MapPoint
        differently and I'd like to give the writer as much information as
        possible. Please send your thoughts in time for me to review them
        before I go to bed Wed night. Thanks.

        =================

        Are you referring to input about APRSpoint or about MapPoint ?

        Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
        EchoLink Node: 14400 [Think bottom of the 2M band]
        Home Page: http://wa8lmf.com

        "APRS 101" Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
        http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

        Updated APRS Symbol Chart
        http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

        New/Updated "Rev G" APRS http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
        Symbols Set for UI-View,
        UIpoint and APRSplus:
      • W4HNK
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
          The only thing I can find wrong is their maps, and everyone else,
          including Google, does not have the latest info. I have been living at
          my address for the last five years and map search puts me in the wrong
          end of the circle. They all need to start using more up to date mapping
          info. Maybe getting the info from the individual county GIS people
          instead of where they get it from now.

          Ed Bruette wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > On Thurs. 16 Feb. I will be interviewed by Redmond Magazine for an
          > article they are doing on MapPoint. They contacted me because of
          > input I provided regarding the usage of MapPoint and APRSPoint. The
          > writer said, "I'd like to get your thoughts on the product overall --
          > what's good about it, what's not so good, and anything you might have
          > on your wishlist for it."
          >
          > The reason I bring this to the list is because I see this as an
          > opportunity to get meaningful input into Microsoft. We all use
          > MapPoint differently and I'd like to give the writer as much
          > information as possible. Please send your thoughts in time for me to
          > review them before I go to bed Wed night. Thanks.
          >
          > 73,
          > Ed, N7NVP

          > Craft hobby
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=YqiuyVwjnQFdynnsmMwVWg>
          > Hobby and craft supply
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=VduRJqNqUo9QkUiTI-knAA>
          > Ham radio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ham+radio&c=3&s=60&.sig=sl_TRqZTiP_WHSLe6P3ybA>

          John Place
          Amateur Radio
          W4HNK EM92vx
        • Jim Oleson KB0OIJ
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
            I strongly agree. Historically, the data that is shipped with MapPoint
            is years behind competitors. This product is difficult to justify when
            the user visits/lives in a new or rural area. The data in my area is > 7
            years old.

            Perhaps an easier way to import new layers/data (standard format?) so I
            can manage updates myself. I know there is a way to do this now but I've
            never been able to figure out how.

            Hey, if importing data is simple and just something I've missed please
            let me know 8>).

            73!

            Jim KB0OIJ