Best add on to add

  • Bradley Haney
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
      I think the best add on I would like to see is the software. Be able to shade in the area's of severe weather that is approaching.

      Sent from my BlackBerry®
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
        Bradley Haney wrote:
        > I think the best add on I would like to see is the software. Be able to shade in the area's of severe weather that is approaching.

        I've been reading about it, and have now added it to the ToDo list.
        Thanks for the suggestion!

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
          If transparency can be adjusted that would be good too.

          Fred (I) - N7FMH - Happy user of APRSIS32

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
            Just to be clear, you mean an independent transparency setting for the
            weather overlays, right?

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
              Hi Lynn,

              Another feature request:
              Show position while moving cursor about the map.
              Show position at current GPS position.

              Allow user to select which position format; DDD.ddddd, DDMM.mmmm, Maidenhead (min 6 places). Multiple formats at a time would be a extra option, such as, DDD.ddddd and Maidenhead.

              Just like Lays potato chips, can't have just one:
              The ability to click on a point on the map to add; waypoint (save to GPX file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
              The ability to add at the current GPS position; waypoint (save to GPX file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).

              Semi-permanent means one that is sent on a regular basis until it is deleted. This could be a field day set up, repeater, etc.
              Temporary means an object that is sent a couple of times (to insure throughput) to indicate something of temporary status, such as an traffic accident or fire.

              Thanks!

              Best regards,
              Fred
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
                Yes.

                I have used a weather overlay once on a website and when it showed an area of concern, no detail under the overlay was viewable. The user had to have intimate details of the area.

                Best regards,
                Fred

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
                  Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                  > Another feature request:
                  > Show position while moving cursor about the map.
                  > Show position at current GPS position.

                  Show position where exactly? The screen is getting pretty crowded. As
                  for the "current GPS position", just bring up the Station Info popup on
                  Me? or you want to be able to see it without having Me on the map?
                  Would, say, adding it to the Dilution of Precision popup (double-click
                  the Altitude box) be good enough for the current GPS position?

                  > Allow user to select which position format; DDD.ddddd, DDMM.mmmm,
                  > Maidenhead (min 6 places). Multiple formats at a time would be a extra
                  > option, such as, DDD.ddddd and Maidenhead.

                  Maybe, but there's enough confusion around already that I'm really
                  tending to keep it all ddd mm.mm in true APRS fashion. I'll think about
                  it. I already have Maidenhead on the list (that's the same as Grid
                  Locator, right? I though 6 was the maximum? Like mine is EL97qx?)

                  > Just like Lays potato chips, can't have just one:
                  > The ability to click on a point on the map to add; waypoint (save to
                  > GPX file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
                  > The ability to add at the current GPS position; waypoint (save to GPX
                  > file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
                  >
                  > Semi-permanent means one that is sent on a regular basis until it is
                  > deleted. This could be a field day set up, repeater, etc.
                  > Temporary means an object that is sent a couple of times (to insure
                  > throughput) to indicate something of temporary status, such as an
                  > traffic accident or fire.

                  All part of Objects when I get to that one on the list. I'll keep your
                  e-mail around for details.

                  > Thanks!

                  You're welcome. Keep the ideas coming, I'll keep the list going and
                  they'll get done someday!

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                  > Best regards,
                  > Fred
                • Matthew Pulsts
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010

                    Id like to see UTM as one of the position formats. This would be very useful for SAR work…

                    > Show position while moving cursor about the map.
                    > Show position at current GPS position.

                    Show position where exactly? The screen is getting pretty crowded. As
                    for the "current GPS position", just bring up the Station Info popup on
                    Me? or you want to be able to see it without having Me on the map?
                    Would, say, adding it to the Dilution of Precision popup (double-click
                    the Altitude box) be good enough for the current GPS position?

                    > Allow user to select which position format; DDD.ddddd, DDMM.mmmm,
                    > Maidenhead (min 6 places). Multiple formats at a time would be a extra
                    > option, such as, DDD.ddddd and Maidenhead.

                    Maybe, but there's enough confusion around already that I'm really
                    tending to keep it all ddd mm.mm in true APRS fashion. I'll think about
                    it. I already have Maidenhead on the list (that's the same as Grid
                    Locator, right? I though 6 was the maximum? Like mine is EL97qx?)

                    > Just like Lays potato chips, can't have just one:
                    > The ability to click on a point on the map to add; waypoint (save to
                    > GPX file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
                    > The ability to add at the current GPS position; waypoint (save to GPX
                    > file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
                    >
                    > Semi-permanent means one that is sent on a regular basis until it is
                    > deleted. This could be a field day set up, repeater, etc.
                    > Temporary means an object that is sent a couple of times (to insure
                    > throughput) to indicate something of temporary status, such as an
                    > traffic accident or fire.

                    All part of Objects when I get to that one on the list. I'll keep your
                    e-mail around for details.

                    > Thanks!

                    You're welcome. Keep the ideas coming, I'll keep the list going and
                    they'll get done someday!

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    > Best regards,
                    > Fred

                  • Broncus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010

                      > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                      > > Another feature request:
                      > > Show position while moving cursor about the map.
                      > > Show position at current GPS position.
                      >
                      > Show position where exactly? The screen is getting pretty crowded. As
                      > for the "current GPS position", just bring up the Station Info popup on
                      > Me? or you want to be able to see it without having Me on the map?
                      > Would, say, adding it to the Dilution of Precision popup (double-click
                      > the Altitude box) be good enough for the current GPS position?

                      Well, it could be one of those things the user selects to view or not, like the satellite info. Above or below the satellite data would work for me. I rarely view the satellite information anyway. I would only like the data for the cursor position.

                      > > Allow user to select which position format; DDD.ddddd, DDMM.mmmm,
                      > > Maidenhead (min 6 places). Multiple formats at a time would be a extra
                      > > option, such as, DDD.ddddd and Maidenhead.
                      >
                      > Maybe, but there's enough confusion around already that I'm really
                      > tending to keep it all ddd mm.mm in true APRS fashion. I'll think about
                      > it. I already have Maidenhead on the list (that's the same as Grid
                      > Locator, right? I though 6 was the maximum? Like mine is EL97qx?)

                      I suspect that if you are doing distance calculations, then you are using DDD.ddddd anyway. Adding that to the list just means more education for those that don't get it. I am willing to help there.

                      A GPS will provide location in a plethora of formats. I use the three above the most and occasionally UTM.

                      With maidenhead, the number of characters is only limited by how much one wants to code. I have calculated out to at least 8 and maybe 10. The more places, the more precision. Of course there not any reason to calculate beyond the precision of the data source (GPS). If I had my wish, the number of characters would match the GPS and the user could than select 4, 6, 8 or ... depending on need. I actually have MH selected on my PS right now and it displays 6 characters. I would like 8. :)

                      > > Just like Lays potato chips, can't have just one:
                      > > The ability to click on a point on the map to add; waypoint (save to
                      > > GPX file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
                      > > The ability to add at the current GPS position; waypoint (save to GPX
                      > > file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
                      > >
                      > > Semi-permanent means one that is sent on a regular basis until it is
                      > > deleted. This could be a field day set up, repeater, etc.
                      > > Temporary means an object that is sent a couple of times (to insure
                      > > throughput) to indicate something of temporary status, such as an
                      > > traffic accident or fire.
                      >
                      > All part of Objects when I get to that one on the list. I'll keep your
                      > e-mail around for details.
                      >
                      > > Thanks!
                      >
                      > You're welcome. Keep the ideas coming, I'll keep the list going and
                      > they'll get done someday!
                      >
                      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                      Thanks!

                    • Kurt Savegnago
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
                        !

                        > You're welcome. Keep the ideas coming, I'll keep the list going and
                        > they'll get done someday!
                        >
                        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                        Make the transparency feature so one can make the maps as solid as the
                        stations. On a laptop the screen may be hard to see in brighter light.

                        Kurt KC9lDH
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2, 2010
                          Kurt Savegnago wrote:

                          > Make the transparency feature so one can make the maps as solid as the
                          > stations. On a laptop the screen may be hard to see in brighter light.
                          >
                          > Kurt KC9lDH

                          Maps can already do that. Just press right arrow lots of times and
                          they'll darken right up. Left arrow increases the transparency until
                          they disappear and the Mercator Projection goes away with them. At
                          that point, all stations are plotted as a distance and bearing from the
                          center of the screen (Azimuthal Projection). Makes an interesting
                          effect if you have a full feed and are zoomed out to see the whole world.

                        • Colin Catlin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 2010
                            On 02/04/2010 22:49, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:

                            > Maybe, but there's enough confusion around already that I'm really
                            > tending to keep it all ddd mm.mm in true APRS fashion. I'll think about
                            > it. I already have Maidenhead on the list (that's the same as Grid
                            > Locator, right? I though 6 was the maximum? Like mine is EL97qx?)

                            I agree with Fred, 6 minimum. I think the Max is 10 (at least that is
                            the most I have ever got aprs.fi to work with) as here:
                            http://aprs.fi/?addr=IO84GN00SB&mt=m&z=NaN&timerange=3600

                            73,
                            Colin.