Should IGate packets go out on RF as well?

  • k7rbw
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
      I noticed that when I send a message to and internet address (one that came in over the IS) the message goes out on the IS and the RF. Is that normal (or do I have something misconfigured)?

      It seems to me that the message would go out over RF if the station came in over RF, or through the IS if the station came in through the IS. If the station is not recognized (as in it hasn't been heard from either the IS or RF paths, then it might go out both in hopes to find the station somewhere.

      Just wondering.

      --bob
      K7RBW
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
        Right now, your observations are correct. Any message you send will be
        sent over all active interfaces. As part of the multi-interface
        generalization and Messaging enhancements, I'll be fixing this. First I
        need to track WHICH interface heard a station (the current version knows
        if it was heard on RF, but doesn't know which mode). Then I can be much
        more intelligent about sending messages back where the station was heard
        (even if more than one) as well as gating messages onto to that(those)
        same interface(s).

        I've got a ToDo item to "Select specific RF Interfaces for message
        transmission" which will allow you more direct control over which
        Interface(s) you want to direct the message via. This will allow
        RF-only contacts via things like APRS Messenger (APRS over PSK-63 on 30m).

        As part of my RF interface generalization, I'll be allowing the
        specification of a "Band" per interface to make it easy to remember if a
        particular interface is HF, VHF, UHF, -IS, or anything else the user
        wants to call them. These are the options that will be presented in the
        Message Send dialog along with individual interfaces (hopefully). If
        all goes as I hope, these Interface Bands will also be configurable for
        some parameters (like Path, Rate, Beacon Text, IGating and such) and
        Interfaces attached to the Band will inherit or override those
        settings. Of course, any setting not set at the Band level will inherit
        the base configuration settings still allowing a single configuration
        for simplicity.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Too many Ideas and Plans, never enough Time!