Re: [aprsisce] Filled station list with my call sign

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
      Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      > In the photo next to my boat (it has been raining a lot here!) there
      > is text saying you are here!

      If I'm seeing what you are talking about, it is like gray text right
      direct below and centered on the "Me" boat? It doesn't look like it
      said exactly "You are here", but maybe 4 words? I just searched the
      source and don't see anything like that. Is it possible that you have a
      map tile or something in the background that says that? I even zoomed
      in with OSM and don't see anything like that.

      I'm lost on that message.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
        It may only relate to being 1st of April.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
          On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          > The station list is filled with my call sign. It has never done that before.
          > I would be happy if this was because I kept hearing myself but I know that
          > wasn't the case. If it was, I would see a lovely track for N7FMH-9 (same
          > radio and TNC) as well.

          That's supposedly from the telemetry collection routine, even if it
          doesn't go out over the air/APRS-IS.

          > Another thing, why did you add "You are here!"? Usually I know where I am.

          Some people asked for it... they must not be able to find their @$$
          with both hands! (Okay, calm down that was a joke.) Actually there is
          something to be said for putting an icon at the last reported
          location, or having a track as well.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
            Some people asked for it... they must not be able to find their @$$
            with both hands! (Okay, calm down that was a joke.) Actually there is
            something to be said for putting an icon at the last reported
            location, or having a track as well.

            I Goggled the "You are here!" issue and ended up in Topeka! I am now back in Kansas and am all fine!

            Best regards,
            Fred
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
              Ah, NOW I see what the issue is! You thought it was trying to tell you
              you were in Maine (ME), when you were actually in Massachusetts (MA),
              but by the time I looked at it, it was blurry and when the fog finally
              cleared, I was in KS (Topeka to be exact). Even with all of my GPSs
              (Let's see, at last count it was eight, no NINE not counting the rest of
              the family's), I'm STILL not sure I nkow where I am.

              I can't even find my favorite search engine today!

              Lynn (D - KJ4ERJ

              PS. Have you tried http://www.Topeka.com? Yep, they did a complete
              number on it!

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
                Ah, NOW I see what the issue is! You thought it was trying to tell you
                you were in Maine (ME), when you were actually in Massachusetts (MA),
                but by the time I looked at it, it was blurry and when the fog finally
                cleared, I was in KS (Topeka to be exact). Even with all of my GPSs
                (Let's see, at last count it was eight, no NINE not counting the rest of
                the family's), I'm STILL not sure I nkow where I am.

                I can't even find my favorite search engine today!

                Lynn (D - KJ4ERJ

                PS. Have you tried http://www.Topeka.com? Yep, they did a complete
                number on it! Just like Fred did to me (us)!

                Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                > Some people asked for it... they must not be able to find their @$$
                > with both hands! (Okay, calm down that was a joke.) Actually there is
                > something to be said for putting an icon at the last reported
                > location, or having a track as well.
                >
                > James
                > VE6SRV
                >
                > I Goggled the "You are here!" issue and ended up in Topeka! I am now
                > back in Kansas and am all fine!
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Fred

              • Broncus
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010

                  > Check your configuration file for <Telemetry.Interval> and make sure it
                  > is set to something reasonable like 15 minutes. It may be set for 1 minute.

                  It is set to 15 minutes. It is also not enabled.

                  > Otherwise, we'll have to wait for the next release (unless you want to
                  > brave the development release) to find out what Packets it is processing
                  > into the station list.

                  Hmm, maybe I'll try a bleeding edge approach Saturday. ;)

                  > Does it keep doing it, or was it a single burst? Do you happen to have
                  > an APRSIS32nn.LOG set that you can zip up and send me? I'm not sure if
                  > there'll be anything in there, but it might be interesting.

                  When it is started, I get 5 entries. After that it is often. I have not timed it and it does not seem to coincide to any other event that I can see.

                  I'll have to see if I can get some testing time this weekend.

                  Thanks!

                  Best regards,
                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
                    > > The station list is filled with my call sign. It has never done that before.
                    > > I would be happy if this was because I kept hearing myself but I know that
                    > > wasn't the case. If it was, I would see a lovely track for N7FMH-9 (same
                    > > radio and TNC) as well.
                    >
                    > That's supposedly from the telemetry collection routine, even if it
                    > doesn't go out over the air/APRS-IS.
                    >

                    > James
                    > VE6SRV

                    Hmm, it seems that list should only be stations heard. But I could be wrong.

                    Fred
                    N7FMH
                  • David Shrum
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
                      I too have complained before about this, I did check and one time it was set
                      for 1 minute, but when I changed it to 15 minutes, it didn't make any
                      difference on the frequency of me seeing my call in the stations heard list.
                      I don't need to see my call in the list because I'm the one running the
                      program. Now I would hope I would see it about every fifteen minutes when
                      I'm running a second copy of the program on a different computer, which I do
                      on occasion. The thing is I think it is only sending a beacon about 15
                      minutes according to my other computer. If you see N8PU-20 and N8PU-21 I
                      have both running. "20" is my desktop copy and "21" is my laptop; both less
                      than an arm's distance apart, usually. It's like there is an echo set to
                      send to the screen on 1 minute intervals.

                      N8PU

                      > Check your configuration file for <Telemetry.Interval> and make sure it
                      > is set to something reasonable like 15 minutes. It may be set for 1
                      minute.

                      It is set to 15 minutes. It is also not enabled.

                      > Otherwise, we'll have to wait for the next release (unless you want to
                      > brave the development release) to find out what Packets it is processing
                      > into the station list.

                      Hmm, maybe I'll try a bleeding edge approach Saturday. ;)

                      14:32:00
                    • Gary Sanders
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
                        Broncus wrote:

                        > > > The station list is filled with my call sign. It has never done
                        > that before.
                        > > > I would be happy if this was because I kept hearing myself but I
                        > know that
                        > > > wasn't the case. If it was, I would see a lovely track for N7FMH-9
                        > (same
                        > > > radio and TNC) as well.
                        > >
                        > > That's supposedly from the telemetry collection routine, even if it
                        > > doesn't go out over the air/APRS-IS.
                        > >

                        > > James
                        > > VE6SRV
                        > >

                        > Hmm, it seems that list should only be stations heard. But I could be wrong.
                        >
                        > Fred
                        > N7FMH

                        I have a second computer running ui-view32 (it actually acts as the
                        server for the aprsisce32 box, because I already have the radio
                        connected to it, and I'm too lazy to move it). I also see my call
                        repeated several time on the aprsisce32 box at startup.

                        I happened to be looking at the ui-view screen the other day and saw a
                        text box displaying telemetry setup and scaling info sent from the
                        aprsisce32 box. So, I'm relatively sure the stuff we're seeing at
                        startup is telemetry info being sent.

                        It is strange, because I've never setup anything on aprsisce32
                        pertaining to telemetry. (And, I don't even have the transmitter enabled
                        on the ui-view32 box:) ). So it appears to default to enabled.

                        Gary Sanders
                        WB0BZR