Re: [aprsisce] Filled station list with my call sign [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
      Check your configuration file for <Telemetry.Interval> and make sure it
      is set to something reasonable like 15 minutes. It may be set for 1 minute.

      Otherwise, we'll have to wait for the next release (unless you want to
      brave the development release) to find out what Packets it is processing
      into the station list.

      Does it keep doing it, or was it a single burst? Do you happen to have
      an APRSIS32nn.LOG set that you can zip up and send me? I'm not sure if
      there'll be anything in there, but it might be interesting.

      Also, which "You are here!" are you referring to? I don't catch the
      reference and don't remember adding anything like that?

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      PS. Cute web page...Something about only clicking links from people you
      trust....

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hi Lynn,

        I will check that. I don't think I have telemetry even enabled. I see no evidence anything was sent via RF at least.

        In the photo next to my boat (it has been raining a lot here!) there is text saying you are here!

        Best regards,
        Fred

        PS. Yum!

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
          I just checked my APRS-IS logs and don't see anything strange in there,
          so here's my theory:

          1) The newer releases sends Telemetry data to itself internally, even if
          Enables / Telemetry Enabled is not checked. The Enable simply prevents
          transmitting the telemetry.

          2) The newer releases also periodically transmit their Telemetry
          definitions. In earlier releases, this was done once per telemetry
          format change, but is now done (I think) once per day. This is so other
          "interested" clients can know how to interpret, scale, and display the
          telemetry.

          3) You should have a "Telemetry" popup menu option on Me. If you do,
          bring that up and check the Interval: setting. I'm suspecting it is 1
          minute rather than the 15 minute default.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
            Fred Hillhouse wrote:
            > In the photo next to my boat (it has been raining a lot here!) there
            > is text saying you are here!

            If I'm seeing what you are talking about, it is like gray text right
            direct below and centered on the "Me" boat? It doesn't look like it
            said exactly "You are here", but maybe 4 words? I just searched the
            source and don't see anything like that. Is it possible that you have a
            map tile or something in the background that says that? I even zoomed
            in with OSM and don't see anything like that.

            I'm lost on that message.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
              It may only relate to being 1st of April.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
                On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                > The station list is filled with my call sign. It has never done that before.
                > I would be happy if this was because I kept hearing myself but I know that
                > wasn't the case. If it was, I would see a lovely track for N7FMH-9 (same
                > radio and TNC) as well.

                That's supposedly from the telemetry collection routine, even if it
                doesn't go out over the air/APRS-IS.

                > Another thing, why did you add "You are here!"? Usually I know where I am.

                Some people asked for it... they must not be able to find their @$$
                with both hands! (Okay, calm down that was a joke.) Actually there is
                something to be said for putting an icon at the last reported
                location, or having a track as well.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Some people asked for it... they must not be able to find their @$$
                  with both hands! (Okay, calm down that was a joke.) Actually there is
                  something to be said for putting an icon at the last reported
                  location, or having a track as well.

                  I Goggled the "You are here!" issue and ended up in Topeka! I am now back in Kansas and am all fine!

                  Best regards,
                  Fred
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
                    Ah, NOW I see what the issue is! You thought it was trying to tell you
                    you were in Maine (ME), when you were actually in Massachusetts (MA),
                    but by the time I looked at it, it was blurry and when the fog finally
                    cleared, I was in KS (Topeka to be exact). Even with all of my GPSs
                    (Let's see, at last count it was eight, no NINE not counting the rest of
                    the family's), I'm STILL not sure I nkow where I am.

                    I can't even find my favorite search engine today!

                    Lynn (D - KJ4ERJ

                    PS. Have you tried http://www.Topeka.com? Yep, they did a complete
                    number on it!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2010
                      Ah, NOW I see what the issue is! You thought it was trying to tell you
                      you were in Maine (ME), when you were actually in Massachusetts (MA),
                      but by the time I looked at it, it was blurry and when the fog finally
                      cleared, I was in KS (Topeka to be exact). Even with all of my GPSs
                      (Let's see, at last count it was eight, no NINE not counting the rest of
                      the family's), I'm STILL not sure I nkow where I am.

                      I can't even find my favorite search engine today!

                      Lynn (D - KJ4ERJ

                      PS. Have you tried http://www.Topeka.com? Yep, they did a complete
                      number on it! Just like Fred did to me (us)!

                      Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                      > Some people asked for it... they must not be able to find their @$$
                      > with both hands! (Okay, calm down that was a joke.) Actually there is
                      > something to be said for putting an icon at the last reported
                      > location, or having a track as well.
                      >
                      > James
                      > VE6SRV
                      >
                      > I Goggled the "You are here!" issue and ended up in Topeka! I am now
                      > back in Kansas and am all fine!
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      > Fred

                    • Broncus
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010

                        > Check your configuration file for <Telemetry.Interval> and make sure it
                        > is set to something reasonable like 15 minutes. It may be set for 1 minute.

                        It is set to 15 minutes. It is also not enabled.

                        > Otherwise, we'll have to wait for the next release (unless you want to
                        > brave the development release) to find out what Packets it is processing
                        > into the station list.

                        Hmm, maybe I'll try a bleeding edge approach Saturday. ;)

                        > Does it keep doing it, or was it a single burst? Do you happen to have
                        > an APRSIS32nn.LOG set that you can zip up and send me? I'm not sure if
                        > there'll be anything in there, but it might be interesting.

                        When it is started, I get 5 entries. After that it is often. I have not timed it and it does not seem to coincide to any other event that I can see.

                        I'll have to see if I can get some testing time this weekend.

                        Thanks!

                        Best regards,
                        Fred

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
                          > > The station list is filled with my call sign. It has never done that before.
                          > > I would be happy if this was because I kept hearing myself but I know that
                          > > wasn't the case. If it was, I would see a lovely track for N7FMH-9 (same
                          > > radio and TNC) as well.
                          >
                          > That's supposedly from the telemetry collection routine, even if it
                          > doesn't go out over the air/APRS-IS.
                          >

                          > James
                          > VE6SRV

                          Hmm, it seems that list should only be stations heard. But I could be wrong.

                          Fred
                          N7FMH
                        • David Shrum
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
                            I too have complained before about this, I did check and one time it was set
                            for 1 minute, but when I changed it to 15 minutes, it didn't make any
                            difference on the frequency of me seeing my call in the stations heard list.
                            I don't need to see my call in the list because I'm the one running the
                            program. Now I would hope I would see it about every fifteen minutes when
                            I'm running a second copy of the program on a different computer, which I do
                            on occasion. The thing is I think it is only sending a beacon about 15
                            minutes according to my other computer. If you see N8PU-20 and N8PU-21 I
                            have both running. "20" is my desktop copy and "21" is my laptop; both less
                            than an arm's distance apart, usually. It's like there is an echo set to
                            send to the screen on 1 minute intervals.

                            N8PU

                            > Check your configuration file for <Telemetry.Interval> and make sure it
                            > is set to something reasonable like 15 minutes. It may be set for 1
                            minute.

                            It is set to 15 minutes. It is also not enabled.

                            > Otherwise, we'll have to wait for the next release (unless you want to
                            > brave the development release) to find out what Packets it is processing
                            > into the station list.

                            Hmm, maybe I'll try a bleeding edge approach Saturday. ;)

                            14:32:00
                          • Gary Sanders
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 2, 2010
                              Broncus wrote:

                              > > > The station list is filled with my call sign. It has never done
                              > that before.
                              > > > I would be happy if this was because I kept hearing myself but I
                              > know that
                              > > > wasn't the case. If it was, I would see a lovely track for N7FMH-9
                              > (same
                              > > > radio and TNC) as well.
                              > >
                              > > That's supposedly from the telemetry collection routine, even if it
                              > > doesn't go out over the air/APRS-IS.
                              > >

                              > > James
                              > > VE6SRV
                              > >

                              > Hmm, it seems that list should only be stations heard. But I could be wrong.
                              >
                              > Fred
                              > N7FMH

                              I have a second computer running ui-view32 (it actually acts as the
                              server for the aprsisce32 box, because I already have the radio
                              connected to it, and I'm too lazy to move it). I also see my call
                              repeated several time on the aprsisce32 box at startup.

                              I happened to be looking at the ui-view screen the other day and saw a
                              text box displaying telemetry setup and scaling info sent from the
                              aprsisce32 box. So, I'm relatively sure the stuff we're seeing at
                              startup is telemetry info being sent.

                              It is strange, because I've never setup anything on aprsisce32
                              pertaining to telemetry. (And, I don't even have the transmitter enabled
                              on the ui-view32 box:) ). So it appears to default to enabled.

                              Gary Sanders
                              WB0BZR