TraceLocks debug windows

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      Oh, and for those brave souls testing the development Win32 release, you
      can either close or minimize the temporary TraceLocks window. I was
      having some issues with the scrolling diagnostics (Enables / View Logs /
      ...) and needed that to help track it down. A short intro to the
      functionality might be in order. I'll just copy/paste it into the
      release notes later.

      The old Enables / Debug Logging option has been substantially enhanced
      and brought out for on-line visibility. Debug logs are now separated by
      category and will dynamically add themselves to cascading menus under
      Enables / Logging and Enables / View Logs. Enables / Logging, if
      checked, indicates that the program is buffering diagnostic data in that
      particular category. This data will also be going to the
      APRSISCE/32.LOG file while enabled. Enables / View Logs brings up a
      specific category's window and implicitly enables it as well. Enables /
      View Logs / All brings up and enables ALL currently known diagnostic
      categories. Categories are dynamic. If no data has ever been logged in
      a category, that category will not exist in the menus.

      Memory considerations: When a category is enabled, it is buffering text
      data in memory for some period of time (to be configurable before
      release, currently
      10 minutes) or maximum space usage (also to be configurable, but
      currently 512KB). However, the space constraint will be ignored if it
      would mean deleting data that is too new (...currently 5 minutes). So,
      this will consume more memory than you're used to, but overnight on my
      laptop with the full feed, it only grew to 40MB according to Task Manager.

      HOWEVER, have a window open is a different story! The scrolling windows
      are actually multi-line edit controls (think NotePad) into which the
      buffered and new events are inserted. This means that they buffer ALL
      events from the time they were opened until they are closed (not
      minimized). In that same full-feed instance, overnight the client was
      occupying approximately 150MB of RAM. When I closed all of the windows
      (particularly Packets), the usage dropped immediately to more typical
      levels. So, open the window and minimize it if you want to capture a
      lot of history. But if you don't, go ahead and close the window knowing
      that when you re-open it, it will have at least the past 5 minutes of
      data, provided that you kept the category enabled.

      If you try to scroll back an active window, you'll quickly get
      frustrated as new data arrives at the bottom and jumps the scrollbar
      back down. Simply select some portion of text and new additions are
      suspended. They're still buffered and will be inserted when you finally
      click somewhere to remove the selection.

      Oh, and the Copy menu option doesn't do anything yet. It will
      eventually copy the entire window contents to the clipboard. I'm also
      planning Save. You can already select a chunk of text, Right Click and
      choose Copy to get it into the clipboard if you want.

      I'm still working on some additional features, including how to control
      which data goes to disk and which doesn't. Right now, I think all
      enabled data goes to the APRSISxx.LOG file.

      Finally, you'll notice that some categories show up with data even when
      they were not enabled. The program considers some data to be especially
      pertinent, so it buffers it regardless of the Enable setting. This was
      true in the past for the APRSISxx.LOG file with the ***** entries.