Re: [aprsisce] Club Presentation

    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 3:35 AM
      I happen to know that Fred, N7FMH, just did a presentation to h is club
      last night. Maybe he can offer suggestions or an outline?

      The only thing I learned in the two APRS presentations I've done for
      local clubs is that they really didn't want to know about APRSISCE/32,
      but about APRS in general. And one club had been 80% exposed to packet
      and were very disillusioned while the other club had no previous
      packet/APRS exposure and were stuck on the "why". We did better at the
      first than the second. I've discovered that I'm better at presenting
      what the client can do rather than what you might want to do with the
      client, but that should be understandable given how little I actually
      get out into the field with it!

      On 5/4/2011 6:09 AM, vk2asy wrote:
      > Doing a presentation to the local Radio Club on Friday night, any suggestions..
      >
      > Lynn, Could you please generate a code for VK2ER Ross.. send to me off list...
      >
      > Thanks 73 Kim
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 5:43 AM
        I've done a few APRS presentations and found that the best received presentation had a very high level outline of:

        1.  Brief Discussion of APRS itself
        2. Setting up a station
            I litterally pulled out radio, coax, j-pole antenna, TNC, connection cables, etc.
                 and connected them up
            Next, started a computer, installed and setup the application (APRSISce/32 of course)
            Talked through the pitfalls (whether they happened or not):
                  > TX audio level and PTT functionality mainly
                  > RX audio level or decoding (with TT4)
            I also had a MicroTrak8000 setup in the back of the room by a window with GPS
        3. APRS-IS connection setup and filter.
            setup was receive only for most, with added discussion for those interested after
            the formal presentation.
        4. Any special features of the APRS that may have been requested or

        I also create a 1-page handout with (what I call) the most common APRS filters described on 1 side, and the other side has common APRS Website and equipment options (brief discriptions and Websites).

        That seems to have gone over quite well here.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        I happen to know that Fred, N7FMH, just did a presentation to h is club
        last night. Maybe he can offer suggestions or an outline?

        The only thing I learned in the two APRS presentations I've done for
        local clubs is that they really didn't want to know about APRSISCE/32,
        but about APRS in general. And one club had been 80% exposed to packet
        and were very disillusioned while the other club had no previous
        packet/APRS exposure and were stuck on the "why". We did better at the
        first than the second. I've discovered that I'm better at presenting
        what the client can do rather than what you might want to do with the
        client, but that should be understandable given how little I actually
        get out into the field with it!

        On 5/4/2011 6:09 AM, vk2asy wrote:
        > Doing a presentation to the local Radio Club on Friday night, any suggestions..
        >
        > Lynn, Could you please generate a code for VK2ER Ross.. send to me off list...
        >
        > Thanks 73 Kim

      • Brian Webster
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 6:04 AM

          For a presentation of why and what you can do with APRS, I like to use the aprs.fi web site. This is a quick way to show someone and get them interested without having to set up a radio and client package. Once they have the interest in what APRS is doing, they have a much easier time in learning about a radio and tnc package as well as setting up a client software package. APRS can do so much that it can be overwhelming to those who have never been exposed to it. A simple web interface is a nice way to start and is so much less intimidating. It makes for a very easy method to casually investigate APRS. Too many times to investigate a new facet in ham radio takes a lot of work to set up and play with, to then find out you really don’t refer to do that mode.

          These two web sites look very impressive and will make a great first impression to those that have never seen what APRS can do or who have not looked at it in a long time:

          http://aprs.fi/

          http://www.openaprs.net/

          Brian, N2KGC

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 10:47 AM
            Hi Kim,

            ,NE1B invited me to join him in his APRS presentation at a local NARC club meeting last night. It was fun and the second time I joined him. Last night, I only demonstrated APRSIS32 and APRSISCE and talked briefly about my personal equipment.

            I have done my own once and created my own presentation for it.

            ---
            For my own presentation (up to the line with "Last night" in it), I knew that the audience was more geared toward an overview rather than a detailed look into more technical items, such as deviation, hops, etc. As an overview, none of the details are really important. However, you will likely get questions about some of the details. In that case you just answer quickly and move on. Sometime the answer is best put off until later after the presentation. I like answering all questions so I find this very difficult. Just remember, time is against you. You will be done before you realize it and an hour will have passed.

            I started with a bit of history of APRS and very briefly how I became interested. I like knowing about the roots (or history). Finding little interesting tidbits like the connection between RTTY and APRS can often get an uninterested individual listening.

            Digging into WB4APR's material was very helpful. The RTTY tidbit was one item found. Got you interested enough to find the connection yet?

            My focus was to "parrot" WB4APR. I don't believe it is useful to present dissenting views in a generic presentation. There are times for that but not with a generic group.

            Purpose was my next point. What is WB4APR's purpose? Make it plain. Tracking oneself, while it is cool and very likely the hook of interest, is of secondary interest. I do show it first though with a lead into the big picture.

            Popularity is important as well. Most would rather not be on the fore front. Lynn has coverage maps that show use for several time frames. I use one for the US for 24 hours and 1 month.

            Once the purposes are covered, I moved to actual views of trackers running. As much as self-tracking is a side purpose, this still gets a lot of attention. I had a slide for a return trip back home (1500 miles). I had a couple of slides from a local hiker friend. These files actually came from Lynn and his usage coverage files. In his file system you can find a file for N7FMH and KA1THZ (hiker). Look back to the US coverage maps and you will see aircraft and possibly balloons. Those are attention getters.

            In the pictures, it becomes obvious that digipeaters and I-Gates are useful. I used that to slide, into a discussion of each and the purpose they serve. Again, the gory details are not necessary.

            I like to show equipment. I don't have a lot of real equipment, so I depend on slides. And, they are viewed quickly with little explanation. My equipment is usually on a table next to me and not operational.

            I see software (computer type not TNC type) as an extra. To me APRS is mostly about RF. But, I do like viewing the world and so software is very cool. So, once all the above was covered, I branched into software. Personally, I like to stay neutral or positive about software I don't use. Each have positive points. I mention Xastir, UI-View and many others. Rather than anything negative on other packages, I focus on what I am using with no references to others. Besides, you won't have time to go into the other software anyway. I had 60-70 slides for an 40-45 minute presentation.

            My laptop was connected to the projector. Once the above portion was done, I could change the window to APRSIS32 with a click. I was connected to Wi-Fi. A couple of quick things are good to demonstrate. A cool presentation of objects is creating an object right there for the next club meeting. The club interest is immediate because they see their presence on the map and the ease to create it. Simple trick!

            Once the software demonstration was complete, I switched back to the slide presentation and wrapped it up with a question and answer period.

            ---
            Last night...

            I knew that some did fox hunting. I added objects before hand to demonstrate DF triangulation. It might be best to do it real time. I will do that next time.

            Be sure WX shape files are ready to use. There were some flood warnings and advisories last night so that made a positive impression.

            MultiTrack was used to track an individual picked somewhat at random.

            I didn't get into showing the other map types since I consider that outside the scope of overview.

            I was really trying to do a quick overview so I picked highlights to draw attention. I had about 20 minutes and showing off APRSIS32/CE in that short amount of time is impossible.

            My new-old Tilt was present as well. There was a video camera that could be plugged into the projector. The Tilt was bigger than life. One point I made was the things I did on the laptop can be done the same on the Tilt with the differences mainly being in the UI. I caught eyebrows moving in amazement. How often does the PC and WM version feel the same?

            I pointed out that the T2-301 I had with me will become connected to the Tilt, via bluetooth, and I explained how I will use it.

            ---
            The beauty about doing a presentation; once it is done, the next will be better. And, likely you will be invited back the following year. That is a good feeling!

            I enjoyed doing my presentation and being part of someone else's. In front of people is not my normal spot but I like APRS and don't mind talking about it.

            Enjoy!

            PS. I would send my PPT file but it is 38MB. I think it has something to do with using full-res photos but have not revisited it.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 4 4:01 PM
              Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas about the presentation, I did an overview presentation to them about 12 months ago, and that was well received. I know there are a few new people this time, so will need to do SOME overall stuff..

              I thought I would work toward getting some operating systems out of it, sort of a workshop approach, I have access to 5 or 6 PCs, and have asked people to bring along laptops and/or thumb drives if they have them..

              I thought with the deployment of the General Release the other day, it would be a good opportunity to introduce a few people to the software.. and have them walk their way through setting up an operating system..

              Sadly I don't have any radios suitably configured to show that part of the process...

              Depending upon time I may put a short presentation together, and/or setup a radio to use.. If I do get a presentation together and if it is relevant I will make it available to anyone who would like it..

              73 Kim

> [...]
              > How often does the PC and WM version feel the same?
              >
              > I pointed out that the T2-301 I had with me will become connected to the
              > Tilt, via bluetooth, and I explained how I will use it.
              >
              > ---
              > The beauty about doing a presentation; once it is done, the next will be
              > better. And, likely you will be invited back the following year. That is a
              > good feeling!
              >
              > I enjoyed doing my presentation and being part of someone else's. In front
              > of people is not my normal spot but I like APRS and don't mind talking about
              > it.
              >

              > Enjoy!
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Fred, N7FMH
              >
              > PS. I would send my PPT file but it is 38MB. I think it has something to do
              > with using full-res photos but have not revisited it.

            • LanceA
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4 4:14 PM
                If you have any kind of presentation material, could yyou post in the files area? I could use it for a presentation to a combined ARES / CERT meeting that is coming up in the near future
                at our local ARES meeting.

                Lance / KA2EJD
                e-mail: lanceaue@...

                Message 7 of 8 , May 4 4:35 PM

                  Well I just got informed that I am doing a club presentation on Tuesday, I offered ages ago, shame nobody bothered to inform me until just now.

                  I will be in an APRS lacking area apart from seeing M6AKN. I hope.

                  And no internet access.

                  Obviously I want to make a good impression I can do the talk but lack the live kit for portable and images to show. Will be less impressive.

                  Given a heads up would have been able to sort

                  Thanks for the help

> [...]

                  > secondary interest. I do show it first though with a lead into the big
                  > picture.
                  >
                  > Popularity is important as well. Most would rather not be on the fore
                  front.
                  > Lynn has
                  coverage maps that show use for several time frames. I use one for
                  > the US
                  for 24 hours and 1 month.

                  > Once the purposes are covered, I moved to actual views of trackers
                  running.
                  > As much as self-tracking is a side purpose, this still gets a lot of
                  > attention. I had a slide for a return trip back home (1500 miles). I had a
                  > couple of slides from a local hiker friend. These files actually came from
                  > Lynn and
                  his usage coverage files. In his file system you can find a file
                  > for N7FMH and KA1THZ (hiker). Look back to the
                  w:st="on">US coverage maps and you will