Re: [aprsisce] Re: wake up from battery save mode

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2009
      Very good info and I'll give "ScreenOff" a try. I've been looking for
      something like that.

      One correction though. The power button doesn't suspend APRSISCE (at
      least on my Tilt). It DOES shut off the GPS. I do this routinely when
      I walk inside a building. The APRS-IS incoming stream continues to
      operate as I've received APRS-IS messages after turning off the phone.
      I know that beaconing stops because the GPS no longer reports a fix.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      Kevin Jensen wrote:
      > Okay did further testing to find a way to run APRSISCE continuous, on
      > battery power only, and found:
      >
      > 1) Never, never, never hit the power button on your cellphone to
      > blank the screen. Even though in theory, the phone under WM6 should
      > keep the applications running in the background; instead it puts all
      > applications in SUSPEND, thus turning off applications. This is no
      > good for APRSISCE, as it turns it off. Even with the S2U2
      > application, and APRSISCE loaded as a excepted application to S2U2,
      > somehow APRSISCE goes into suspend.
      >
      > 2) Instead, to save on battery power, install the applications
      > "ScreenOff", and map a button to the application. This tool will just
      > turn the screen off, and do nothing else. Everything else on your WM6
      > phone will keep working. If you want the screen back on gain hit the
      > power on button for your phone, and the phone comes back on. Even the
      > data stream keeps running while the screen is blanked with ScreenOff.
      >
      > 3) Also would like to recommend the WM6 application "LvmTopBat" as it
      > will keep a thin battery power status bar at the top of every
      > application. This is great for watching the battery decrease in power
      > while running APRSISCE.
      >
      > Just tried this all on my drive to work today. The whole trip was
      > beaconing and it all recorded and was displayed on a APRS.FI web page.
      > All while the phone was on battery power only, and the screen was
      > turned off. No issues for the 1/2 hour drive.

    • n1kcg
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2009
        understood. turning off the GPS is a application stopper also.

        At least it is clear how this all seems to work under WM6. I tried the test again this afternoon. Activated APRDISCE and hit the ScreenOff button. everything kept working smoothly.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2009
          Lynn -

          1) is the APRSIS-CE application constantly maintaining a DATA STREAM connectivity to the internet, via my data plan on my phone? In other words, while I am beaconing, do I have a connection via my data plan, that never disconnects?

          2) Or does APRSIS-CE make a connection,; send a beacon; and then disconnect?

          3) I assume that I need to have a constant functioning of my GPS circuit in my cellphone, in order for APRSIS-CE to work. Is that correct?
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 2009
            n1kcg wrote:
            > Lynn -
            >
            > 1) is the APRSIS-CE application constantly maintaining a DATA STREAM connectivity to the internet, via my data plan on my phone? In other words, while I am beaconing, do I have a connection via my data plan, that never disconnects?

            Yes, for APRS-IS to function correctly by displaying all activity, a
            constant TCP connection to the APRS-IS server is necessary. This is
            true even if you are NOT beaconing. The incoming connection is
            controlled by Enables/APRS-IS Enabled. The transmission of your current
            location is a combination of GPS Enabled and Tracking Enabled.
            Telemetry can also be independently enabled in the current version.
            > 2) Or does APRSIS-CE make a connection,; send a beacon; and then disconnect?

            This would be the equivalent of a transmit-only tracker and is not
            supported by APRSISCE. The whole purpose of the client is to provide
            visibility to what's around you as well as providing visibility of you
            to others. That's why I recommend an unlimited data plan.
            > 3) I assume that I need to have a constant functioning of my GPS circuit in my cellphone, in order for APRSIS-CE to work. Is that correct?

            Sort of. In order to transmit your position, yes, you have to keep the
            GPS enabled. However, to conserve battery life (the GPS eats more than
            the data connection), I routinely disable my GPS (double-click on the
            gps fix status box) when going indoors. This allows the client to keep
            the current picture up-to-date with respect to others, but saves power
            by not running the GPS when you're not significantly moving.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile