Windows get's confused

  • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 6:54 AM
      I have a Windows issue.
      My TNC and GPS are both connecter via USB-Serial adapters.
      The adaptor on the GPS, an ugly Radioshack thing, gets incorrectly identified by Windows as a mouse/trackpoint device.
      I have to have APRSIS running before I plug it in or Windows assumes that the GPS sentences are random mouse movements.
      Windows is XP on an Atom netbook, I think the adaptor uses the Prolific chip.

      --
      Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
      Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 9:16 AM
        Google for "WINDOWS boot.ini +mouse +gps" and see if any of it applies
        toyou.

        On 5/1/2011 9:54 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
        > I have a Windows issue.
        > My TNC and GPS are both connecter via USB-Serial adapters.
        > The adaptor on the GPS, an ugly Radioshack thing, gets incorrectly identified by Windows as a mouse/trackpoint device.
        > I have to have APRSIS running before I plug it in or Windows assumes that the GPS sentences are random mouse movements.
        > Windows is XP on an Atom netbook, I think the adaptor uses the Prolific chip.

      • KB9RKU Kurt Clausen
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 3:43 PM
          Try this link to WA8LMF's website I had WinXP pro do the same thing.
          The Microsoft program fixed the problem.

          KB9RKU
          Kurt Clausen

          Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2011 11:16
          Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Windows get's confused

          Google for "WINDOWS boot.ini +mouse +gps" and see if any of it applies
          toyou.

          On 5/1/2011 9:54 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
          > I have a Windows issue.
          > My TNC and GPS are both connecter via USB-Serial adapters.
          > The adaptor on the GPS, an ugly Radioshack thing, gets incorrectly identified by Windows as a mouse/trackpoint device.
          > I have to have APRSIS running before I plug it in or Windows assumes that the GPS sentences are random mouse movements.
          > Windows is XP on an Atom netbook, I think the adaptor uses the Prolific chip.

          No virus found in this message.

        • Alan
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1 4:31 PM
            I have had the same problem on many computers. There are several fixes, depending on the device and system. the Microsoft com disable patch might work:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819036

            Or modify the boot.ini add "/fastdetect":
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

            But since your problem is with a usb-to-serial adapter this can open up a can of worms. The fix might have to be done in the usb-to-serial driver. Some devices will think the GPS is a serial mouse and the driver will turn it into a mouse/pointing device instead of com port. This will skirt the com disable, and boot.ini fixes. If this happens some chips like FTDI can turn off the serial enumerator. FTDI Drivers have settings in the Device Manager/Serial Port, under "Port Settings" "Advanced" tabs. If FDTI un-check "Serial Enumerator".

            In the past I have even edited the registry, or actually removed the serial mouse/Ballmouse drivers from the computer.

            Alan
            n6vud

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1 4:38 PM
              I have had the same problem on many computers. There are several fixes, depending on the device and system. the Microsoft com disable patch might work:
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819036

              Or modify the boot.ini add "/fastdetect":
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

              But since your problem is with a usb-to-serial adapter this can open up a can of worms. The fix might have to be done in the usb-to-serial driver. Some devices will think the GPS is a serial mouse and the driver will turn it into a mouse/pointing device instead of com port. This will skirt the com disable, and boot.ini fixes. If this happens some chips like FTDI can turn off the serial enumerator. FTDI Drivers have settings in the Device Manager/Serial Port, under "Port Settings" "Advanced" tabs. If FDTI un-check "Serial Enumerator".

              In the past I have even edited the registry, or actually removed the serial mouse/Ballmouse drivers from the computer.

              Alan
              n6vud

              > Google for "WINDOWS boot.ini +mouse +gps" and see if any of it applies
              > toyou.

              > On 5/1/2011 9:54 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
              > > I have a Windows issue.
              > > My TNC and GPS are both connecter via USB-Serial adapters.
              > > The adaptor on the GPS, an ugly Radioshack thing, gets incorrectly identified by Windows as a mouse/trackpoint device.
              > > I have to have APRSIS running before I plug it in or Windows assumes that the GPS sentences are random mouse movements.
              > > Windows is XP on an Atom netbook, I think the adaptor uses the Prolific chip.

            • w7boz
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2 1:41 AM
                I had the problem of windows recognizing my KPC-3 as a mouse. What I did was when it detected it, I went into "Device manager" and clicked on disable in all profiles. Never had a problem since.

                Kevin
                W7BOZ

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan@...> wrote:

                > I have had the same problem on many computers. There are several fixes, depending on the device and system. the Microsoft com disable patch might work:
                > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819036
                >
                > Or modify the boot.ini add "/fastdetect":
                > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
                >
                > But since your problem is with a usb-to-serial adapter this can open up a can of worms. The fix might have to be done in the usb-to-serial driver. Some devices will think the GPS is a serial mouse and the driver will turn it into a mouse/pointing device instead of com port. This will skirt the com disable, and boot.ini fixes. If this happens some chips like FTDI can turn off the serial enumerator. FTDI Drivers have settings in the Device Manager/Serial Port, under "Port Settings" "Advanced" tabs. If FDTI un-check "Serial Enumerator".
                >
                > In the past I have even edited the registry, or actually removed the serial mouse/Ballmouse drivers from the computer.
                >
                > Alan
                > n6vud
                >

                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Google for "WINDOWS boot.ini +mouse +gps" and see if any of it applies
                > > toyou.

                > > On 5/1/2011 9:54 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
                > > > I have a Windows issue.
                > > > My TNC and GPS are both connecter via USB-Serial adapters.
                > > > The adaptor on the GPS, an ugly Radioshack thing, gets incorrectly identified by Windows as a mouse/trackpoint device.
                > > > I have to have APRSIS running before I plug it in or Windows assumes that the GPS sentences are random mouse movements.
                > > > Windows is XP on an Atom netbook, I think the adaptor uses the Prolific chip.

              • walscobry
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2 2:54 PM
                  I have run into this problem and a simple but somewhat lame fix is to plug the USB to serial adapter in the computer WITHOUT the GPS then after windows finds the serial port (XP makes a {dong} sound) THEN plug in the GPS. It will not get identified as a mouse.

                  Good Luck!

                  Bryan
                  K4RKR
                • Charles Blackburn
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2 3:47 PM
                    the other thing you can do is let it find the mouse, then go into device
                    manager and "disable" the device then it shouldn't matter.

                    I sometimes forget to unplug the gps when im in the truck so that helps a
                    bit.

                    charlie