Re: Is QRU WAD?

  • apenadragon
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 28 4:29 AM
      Is there anyway that the program can for a reply to take the same path back to the user that it recieved the request?

      Adam
      KC2ANT
      (Has been out chasing storm damage all night with the Fire Department so is a little sleep deprived)
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 28 7:53 AM
        On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 5:29 AM, apenadragon <kc2ant@...> wrote:

        > Is there anyway that the program can for a reply to take the
        > same path back to the user that it recieved the request?

        The path identification can be a little troublesome with digipeaters
        that aren't set up correctly, making it tough to know the actual path
        used.

        The problem Julian encountered though is a very difficult situation to fix.

        He was on a hilltop where multiple stations could hear him, but they
        could not all hear each other. Julian was heard and gated by three
        different i-gates, all of which felt that he was a local station. When
        Julian's QRU server spit a packet out at him on RF, and also fed that
        same packet to the APRS-IS, each of the i-gates that thought he was a
        local all spit the packet out. The resulting cacophony of noise on the
        air would be pretty nasty. The fact that Julian was able to decode a
        packet at all was kind of amazing. Possibly one of the i-gates heard
        another, and held off long enough for most of the noise to go away, or
        perhaps FM capture effect worked enough that Julian's HT locked onto
        just one of the signals.

        A well organized and implemented APRS network is a wonderful thing...
        very hard to find, and harder to try and ride herd on. Mine's starting
        to get away on me.

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 28 8:04 AM
          On 4/28/2011 10:53 AM, James Ewen wrote:

          > A well organized and implemented APRS network is a wonderful thing...
          > very hard to find, and harder to try and ride herd on. Mine's starting
          > to get away on me.

          Even the best designed APRS network will have the overlap zones where a
          receiver might hear relatively equal strength signals from two (or more)
          transmitters that cannot hear each other. The FM capture effect works
          when the strength is different enough, and if your receiver isn't being
          overloaded as Julian thinks was contributing to his problem.

          I suspect a step off the peak may have provided enough physical signal
          differentiation to "fix" the decoding issue, but it all depends on
          exactly where the transmitters were geographically speaking.

          PS. See also http://blog.g4ilo.com/2011/04/vx-8gr-receiver-overload.html

          and http://blog.g4ilo.com/2011/04/handheld-receiver-blocking-shootout.html
        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 28 8:43 AM

            > A well organized and implemented APRS network is a wonderful thing...
            > very hard to find, and harder to try and ride herd on. Mine's starting
            > to get away on me.

            Any sort of APRS network would be a wonderful thing from where I sit. But what we have is a collection of home stations linked by APRS-IS, some of which (like mine and Colin's) are in RF holes. What we need, but don't have and I really have no practical idea how to get, is a digipeater with good coverage of the Lakes that I can get into. (By practical, I mean ruling out things like me moving to the top of a hill or buying a mountain so I can stick a mast on it. If only I could.)

            Julian, G4ILO
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 28 11:31 AM
              On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

              >(By practical, I mean ruling out things like me moving to the top of a
              > hill or buying a mountain so I can stick a mast on it. If only I could.)

              I don't understand why you are limiting yourself like that... any good
              ham radio operator always uses a HAAT calculation to determine the
              value of the property upon which to build or purchase a house.

            • g4ilo
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 28 1:23 PM

                > I don't understand why you are limiting yourself like that... any good
                > ham radio operator always uses a HAAT calculation to determine the
                > value of the property upon which to build or purchase a house.

                The trouble is the XYL bases her value calculation on DTS - Distance To Shops. For some reason they don't build shopping centres on top of mountains.

                Julian, G4ILO
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 28 1:39 PM

                  HAAT calculation and distance to local facilities means that Tan Hill in the Yorkshire Dales would be my ideal location for radio operation.

                  For those outside the UK Tan Hill is the location of Tan Hill Inn the highest pub in Britain at 1732ft

                  Steve

                  G6UIM

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 29 4:41 AM
                    > The trouble is the XYL bases her value calculation on DTS - Distance To Shops. For some reason they don't build shopping centres on top of mountains.
                    >
                    > Julian, G4ILO

                    The YL here bases hers on Cell coverage, and shooting distances....

                    While I could care less about the cell coverage, I've been informed that we WILL NOT buy a house where there is no cell coverage...*rolls eyes*

                    The shooting distances I'm good with :)

                    (of course the YL here is also an operator KC2ULK, so she's ok with antenna considerations, they just aren't as high priority)

                    Adam
                    KC2ANT