Re: [aprsisce] Re: wake up from battery save mode

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 22, 2009
      Thanks for doing the research! Please keep us posted, I'm sure it will
      interest all of us. I'm especially interested for when I go mobile
      walking without my normal external charger pack to keep the phone happy
      for 6-8 hours.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      n1kcg wrote:
      > Did some more testing of the configuration on my WM6 cellphone. Right mow am leaning towards useing the application S2U2 as a power saver and sleep tool; while using APRSISCE. The latest version of S2U2 has an exceptions list. If I put APRSISCE on the exceptions list the S2U2 will never start in, and APRSISCE keeps running regardless of battery power levels.
      >
      > Of course all battery power saver startup routines are disabled at all times now. Will keep investigating.
      >

      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ae5pl" <pete@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I am wondering if there is a way to keep the application active even in battery saver mode... There are some apps that seem to run regardless (Bing, Google Maps, ActiveSync, etc. I would be very interested if there is a way to "mark" the app as always active. I will do some looking through my development stuff on this as well.
      >>
      >> 73,
      >>
      >> Pete AE5PL
      >>
      >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "n1kcg" <ktjensen@> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Lynn - thanks for a great application. I am looking for some kind of utility that would wake up the phone from battery saver mode, to allow a beacon of my position.
      >>>
      >>> since phones naturally want to go to battery save mode, there must be some application that will bring my data connection up, activate aprsisce and then put the phone back to sleep. maybe once every five, ten or twenty minutes; assuming i am on battery power,and assuming i have a data connection.
      >>>
      >>> alternatively, wondering if the aprs protocol would allow a mobile station to record its position versus time; and then upload the data when a data connection is re-established. does aprs protocol allow that?

    • Kevin Jensen
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2009
        Okay did further testing to find a way to run APRSISCE continuous, on
        battery power only, and found:

        1) Never, never, never hit the power button on your cellphone to
        blank the screen. Even though in theory, the phone under WM6 should
        keep the applications running in the background; instead it puts all
        applications in SUSPEND, thus turning off applications. This is no
        good for APRSISCE, as it turns it off. Even with the S2U2
        application, and APRSISCE loaded as a excepted application to S2U2,
        somehow APRSISCE goes into suspend.

        2) Instead, to save on battery power, install the applications
        "ScreenOff", and map a button to the application. This tool will just
        turn the screen off, and do nothing else. Everything else on your WM6
        phone will keep working. If you want the screen back on gain hit the
        power on button for your phone, and the phone comes back on. Even the
        data stream keeps running while the screen is blanked with ScreenOff.

        3) Also would like to recommend the WM6 application "LvmTopBat" as it
        will keep a thin battery power status bar at the top of every
        application. This is great for watching the battery decrease in power
        while running APRSISCE.

        Just tried this all on my drive to work today. The whole trip was
        beaconing and it all recorded and was displayed on a APRS.FI web page.
        All while the phone was on battery power only, and the screen was
        turned off. No issues for the 1/2 hour drive.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 23, 2009
          Very good info and I'll give "ScreenOff" a try. I've been looking for
          something like that.

          One correction though. The power button doesn't suspend APRSISCE (at
          least on my Tilt). It DOES shut off the GPS. I do this routinely when
          I walk inside a building. The APRS-IS incoming stream continues to
          operate as I've received APRS-IS messages after turning off the phone.
          I know that beaconing stops because the GPS no longer reports a fix.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          Kevin Jensen wrote:
          > Okay did further testing to find a way to run APRSISCE continuous, on
          > battery power only, and found:
          >
          > 1) Never, never, never hit the power button on your cellphone to
          > blank the screen. Even though in theory, the phone under WM6 should
          > keep the applications running in the background; instead it puts all
          > applications in SUSPEND, thus turning off applications. This is no
          > good for APRSISCE, as it turns it off. Even with the S2U2
          > application, and APRSISCE loaded as a excepted application to S2U2,
          > somehow APRSISCE goes into suspend.
          >
          > 2) Instead, to save on battery power, install the applications
          > "ScreenOff", and map a button to the application. This tool will just
          > turn the screen off, and do nothing else. Everything else on your WM6
          > phone will keep working. If you want the screen back on gain hit the
          > power on button for your phone, and the phone comes back on. Even the
          > data stream keeps running while the screen is blanked with ScreenOff.
          >
          > 3) Also would like to recommend the WM6 application "LvmTopBat" as it
          > will keep a thin battery power status bar at the top of every
          > application. This is great for watching the battery decrease in power
          > while running APRSISCE.
          >
          > Just tried this all on my drive to work today. The whole trip was
          > beaconing and it all recorded and was displayed on a APRS.FI web page.
          > All while the phone was on battery power only, and the screen was
          > turned off. No issues for the 1/2 hour drive.

        • n1kcg
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 23, 2009
            understood. turning off the GPS is a application stopper also.

            At least it is clear how this all seems to work under WM6. I tried the test again this afternoon. Activated APRDISCE and hit the ScreenOff button. everything kept working smoothly.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2009
              Lynn -

              1) is the APRSIS-CE application constantly maintaining a DATA STREAM connectivity to the internet, via my data plan on my phone? In other words, while I am beaconing, do I have a connection via my data plan, that never disconnects?

              2) Or does APRSIS-CE make a connection,; send a beacon; and then disconnect?

              3) I assume that I need to have a constant functioning of my GPS circuit in my cellphone, in order for APRSIS-CE to work. Is that correct?
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2009
                n1kcg wrote:
                > Lynn -
                >
                > 1) is the APRSIS-CE application constantly maintaining a DATA STREAM connectivity to the internet, via my data plan on my phone? In other words, while I am beaconing, do I have a connection via my data plan, that never disconnects?

                Yes, for APRS-IS to function correctly by displaying all activity, a
                constant TCP connection to the APRS-IS server is necessary. This is
                true even if you are NOT beaconing. The incoming connection is
                controlled by Enables/APRS-IS Enabled. The transmission of your current
                location is a combination of GPS Enabled and Tracking Enabled.
                Telemetry can also be independently enabled in the current version.
                > 2) Or does APRSIS-CE make a connection,; send a beacon; and then disconnect?

                This would be the equivalent of a transmit-only tracker and is not
                supported by APRSISCE. The whole purpose of the client is to provide
                visibility to what's around you as well as providing visibility of you
                to others. That's why I recommend an unlimited data plan.
                > 3) I assume that I need to have a constant functioning of my GPS circuit in my cellphone, in order for APRSIS-CE to work. Is that correct?

                Sort of. In order to transmit your position, yes, you have to keep the
                GPS enabled. However, to conserve battery life (the GPS eats more than
                the data connection), I routinely disable my GPS (double-click on the
                gps fix status box) when going indoors. This allows the client to keep
                the current picture up-to-date with respect to others, but saves power
                by not running the GPS when you're not significantly moving.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile