How do you configure the IGATE ?

  • kc9gqr
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
        Right now, if you have any RF interfaces configured (AGW, KISS, or
        TEXT), APRSISCE/32 gates all RF-received APRS packets to the APRS-IS.
        It is also set up to gate messages from -IS to RF. This part will
        eventually be configurable on a per-interface basis.

      • judge33tex
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010

          > Right now, if you have any RF interfaces configured (AGW, KISS, or
          > TEXT), APRSISCE/32 gates all RF-received APRS packets to the APRS-IS.
          Lynn ... I question whether this is happening. Or maybe my KISS setup is hosed. I have a TT4 that feeds UI-view quite happily and iGates. I have APRSIS/32 now running on the same machine and getting this in the KISS log:
          RunKISS ... Missing leading C0
          with multiple lines of that.
          iGate log is enabled but blank.

          My UI-view usage gates a LOT of RF.  Must be a configuration in APRSIS/32 that is off.

          > It is also set up to gate messages from -IS to RF. This part will
          > eventually be configurable on a per-interface basis.
          Is this a good idea? May not need -IS to RF in many areas.

          Keep up the good work ... this is great!

          gil   KA5GIL

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
            If the KISS window is saying "Missing leading C0", then your TT4 isn't
            in KISS mode. Connect to it with a terminal emulator. If you can read
            everything, then you're in text mode and not KISS. APRSISCE/32 requires
            KISS mode to work properly with a TT4.

            Are you sure that your Host Mode is KISS in UI-View? I suspect it isn't.

            Gating -IS to RF will be configurable in the next release, on a
            per-interface basis.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            judge33tex wrote:

            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Right now, if you have any RF interfaces configured (AGW, KISS, or
            > > TEXT), APRSISCE/32 gates all RF-received APRS packets to the APRS-IS.
            > Lynn ... I question whether this is happening. Or maybe my KISS setup
            > is hosed. I have a TT4 that feeds UI-view quite happily and iGates. I
            > have APRSIS/32 now running on the same machine and getting this in the
            > KISS log:
            >
            > RunKISS ... Missing leading C0
            >
            > with multiple lines of that.
            > iGate log is enabled but blank.
            >
            > My UI-view usage gates a LOT of RF. Must be a configuration in
            > APRSIS/32 that is off.
            >
            > > It is also set up to gate messages from -IS to RF. This part will
            > > eventually be configurable on a per-interface basis.
            > Is this a good idea? May not need -IS to RF in many areas.
            >
            > Keep up the good work ... this is great!
            >
            > gil KA5GIL

          • capn_justice
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
              Update:
              Now getting activity in my iGate log
              some entries saying "... Message[callsign] NOT HeardOnRF" -- so why is
              that one mentioned in iGate log?
              and others "...Message[K5HDM] station Not Found"

              I know that K5HDM is a good call -- I see him on APRS frequently -- what
              does the message mean?
              It was actually K5HDM-2 that was transmitting so why is the SSID dropped
              in this message?

              Perhaps I don't understand what the iGate log is supposed to show. Is it
              only errors and not what is gated?

              gil

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com,"capn_justice" <captainjustice@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
                The IGate log shows all IGate activities, both directions. The lines
                you describe are for APRS messages being heard on the -IS and why they
                are NOT being sent to RF. This would be based on the destination
                station (between the colons in the raw message), not the source
                station. The first one (NOT HeardOnRF) means that the destination
                station is known to the client, but was not heard on an RF channel. The
                second one wasn't even known to the client. Depending on your filter
                settings you may or may not see a lot of these. In your example, I
                suspect that KD5HDM-2 was sending a message to K5HDM.
                (KD5HDM-2>tocall,path...::KD5HDM:Message body here)

                You should see an RFtoIS or IStoRF in the IGate log that will help you
                figure out which direction of IGate the text is referring to. Here's a
                few lines from my KJ4ERJ--1's IGate log (thread name and timestamp removed):

                These are normal RF to IS gating:

                RFtoIS:Igated N4ZIQ-1>R8QU6S,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE2*:'m`^l #1]=
                RFtoIS:Igated
                WC4PEM-13>APN391,WIDE2-2:!2747.25NS08119.66W_PHG74616/W3,FLn Indian Lake
                Estates, Florida
                RFtoIS:Igated
                KG4CWC-9>2VTV6V,K4PKT-3*,W4OT-3*,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE2*:`l*rl#Gk/"3{}
                RFtoIS:Igated W3ATE-1>RW5Y9R,WIDE3-3:`lAgl"b'/>"4*}

                Here's some message traffic generated for this test:
                IStoRF:Message(WC4PEM-13)[4] HeardOnRF, Local (0 vs 2), 5 Hops
                To(WC4PEM-13) Body(Message test.{211)
                IStoRF:Message(WC4PEM-13)
                KJ4ERJ-1>APWW02,WIDE2-1:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211

                This means that WC4PEN-13 WAS heard on RF, IS considered local (direct
                (0) is less than 2 hops), I don't remember what the 5 Hopes means, and
                then the destination and body of the mssage. The second log is the
                actual 3rd party message as constructed and transmitted over RF.

                RFtoIS:Igated
                KJ4ERJ-1>APWW02,WX4MLB-3*,WIDE2*:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211

                Yep, I heard a digi-peat of this third-party message and gated it back
                to the -IS. The APRS-IS duplicate detector will remove this to prevent
                looping.

                IStoRF:Message(KJ4ERJ-12)->(WC4PEM-13) is Third-Party (KJ4ERJ-1)
                IStoRF:Message(KJ4ERJ-12)->(WC4PEM-13) is Third-Party (WD4IXD-3)

                The IS delivered two additional copies of the message from KJ4ERJ-12 to
                WC4PEM-13. One was a third-party packet generated by KJ4ERJ-1 (a
                redundant IGate I have in test) and the other was generated by another
                IGate (WD4IXD-3) that also considered WC4PEM-13 to be "recently" "local".

                and back to normal RF to IS gating:
                RFtoIS:Igated W4KBW>APO454,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE2*:!2833.70N/08120.29WIBob,
                Orlando, Florida

                So, if you're trying to get the RF side working, I'd focus on the KISS
                window. You should be seeing stuff like below in there. After that's
                working, you should see stations appearing in the scrolling log with a *
                beside them indicating that the packet was heard on an RF interface.
                Then the contents of the IGate diagnostic will make more sense (I hope).

                The trace logs are there to provide end-user visibility to the internal
                operations of the client as well as (primarily) to allow me to debug and
                diagnose what is and isn't working. Remotely supporting strange
                behaviors will hopefully be easier with the contents of these logs.

                Here's a sample of the contents of a KISS log:

                KISS:WC4PEM-15>APN391,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE2-1:!2800.58NS08135.97W_PHG74616/W3,FLn
                Dundee, Florida (97)
                KISS:WC4PEM-15>APN391,WC4PEM-10*,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE2*:!2800.58NS08135.97W_PHG74616/W3,FLn
                Dundee, Florida (97)
                KISS:WC4PEM-15>APN391,WIDE2-2:$ULTW010600340313298027DDFFEA889F000101C8006404470000009D
                (68)
                KISS:KC4HAY-1>APN391,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE2-1:!2830.12NS08210.63W#PHG83706/W3,FLn
                Ridge Manor, Florida (97)
                KISS:N4ZIQ-1>R8QU6S,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE2*:'m`^l #1]= (61)
                KISS:WC4PEM-13>APN391,WIDE2-2:!2747.25NS08119.66W_PHG74616/W3,FLn Indian
                Lake Estates, Florida (97)
                KISS:KG4CWC-9>2VTV6V,K4PKT-3*,W4OT-3*,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE2*:`l*rl#Gk/"3{} (125)
                KISS:Queueing
                KJ4ERJ-1>APWW02,WIDE2-1:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211
                KISS:Payload(}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message test.{211)
                KISS:Sending 88 KISS bytes from 86
                (KJ4ERJ-1>APWW02,WIDE2-1:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211)
                KISS:Send complete (88 Bytes)
                KISS:KJ4ERJ-1>APWW02,WIDE2-1:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211 (49)
                KISS:KJ4ERJ-1>APWW02,WX4MLB-3*,WIDE2*:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,KJ4ERJ-1*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211 (49)
                KISS:W3ATE-1>RW5Y9R,WIDE3-3:`lAgl"b'/>"4*} (125)
                KISS:WD4IXD-3>APU25N,W4MCO-10*,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE2*:}KJ4ERJ-12>APWM02,TCPIP,WD4IXD-3*::WC4PEM-13:Message
                test.{211 (49)
                KISS:W4KBW>APO454,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE2*:!2833.70N/08120.29WIBob, Orlando,
                Florida (97)
                KISS:K4OSM-7>APOTC1,K4OZS-10*,WIDE1*,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE2*,WIDE3-1:/111812z2920.26N/08209.10W>187/017/A=000134
                (52)
                KISS:WB2UTI-9>RXUV6T,K4OZS-10*,WIDE1*,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE2*:`mUqnf;v/]"41}=
                (61)
                KISS:AI4LE-1>RXRQ8R,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE3-2:`mDkl!Vv/>"4B} (125)
                KISS:AI4LE-1>RXRQ8R,WC4PEM-14*,WC4PEM-13*,WIDE3-1:`mDkl!Vv/>"4B} (125)
                KISS:KN4M>APU25N,WC4PEM-14*,WIDE1*:=2851.11NI08137.50W

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Gil,

                  I gather you have your IGate working now? At least, KA5GIL-1 is
                  receiving packets via RF.

                  You can see a summarization of your recently received RF traffic at:

                  http://tinyurl.com/IGATE-KA5GIL-1

                  And if you didn't know it, APRS.FI generates a pretty cool
                  Month-by-month IGate graph. It would be the bottom-most graph at:

                  http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/KA5GIL-1

                  Let me know if there's anything else you would like clarified. I know
                  the contents of the trace logs aren't the clearest in the world, but
                  when you've got an IGate running 24x7, any extra explanatory text just
                  gets to be redundant.

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                • Guilford Jones
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010