Problem

  • ltdoc
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
      I'm having a problem with the program. I figure it's just a matter of a wrong setting, but I'm lost.
      I (and the club) has the program running to keep track of people. My computer in the house is doing that just fine. But the laptop in the car isn't. It only shows 'me' as being at home, not moving at all. I have the program on the laptop set with a different call ("-1" added on the end) so would figure it should display as moving when it does move. It doesn't. So what am I doing wrong? It is showing others moving. I use a separate APRS transmitter, has nothing to do with the program, and it is beaconing/transmitting.
      Paul / W5LZ

      (Ever feel mentally constipated?)
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
        GPS Enabled? If not, you won't move.

        Can you initiate a transmit by clicking on Transmit? If not, interface is not correct.

        Are you in a location where you can here a digipeater?

        Can you post your XML file for further perusal?

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
          Need a LOT more info. My set up on the laptop in the car works fine.

          Home station is working you say.
          IS only, RF only, IS&RF???

          Laptop in the car, Same questions,

          Radio, TNC, GPS???

          Also, Traditianally -9 is for primary mobile set ups.

          [quote = http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/SSIDs.txt%5d

          -0 Your primary station usually fixed and message capable
          -1 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
          -2 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
          -3 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
          -4 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
          -5 Other network sources (Dstar, Iphones, Blackberry's etc)
          -6 Special activity, Satellite ops, camping or 6 meters, etc
          -7 walkie talkies, HT's or other human portable
          -8 boats, sailboats, RV's or second main mobile
          -9 Primary Mobile (usually message capable)
          -10 internet, Igates, echolink, winlink, AVRS, APRN, etc
          -11 balloons, aircraft, spacecraft, etc
          -12 APRStt, DTMF, RFID, devices, one-way trackers*, etc
          -13 Weather stations
          -14 Truckers or generally full time drivers
          -15 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc

          [/quote]

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011

            I think whats being said is that he uses a completely separate tracker to transmit in the car. And is using the laptop to monitor the tracker via maybe IS if so it would seem the tracker is not hitting an Igate.

            But as said we need more info to sort this problem.

            Perhaps you could break it down into exactly what you are trying to do and the setuo you are using

            Steve

            G6UIM

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
              First, the simple questions:

              1) Do you have a GPS feeding the -1 instance? If not, ME won't move.

              2) Do you have mobile Internet access for the -1 instance? If not,
              you'll see nothing from APRS-IS.

              3) Do you have the -1 instance interfaced to a radio/TNC? I suspect not
              given the statement of "use a separate APRS transmitter".

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
                The primary use is RF input only, but it also may be internet connected at times. Figure RF only. The radio? One of several, all on 144.390 Mhz. And I'm using the AGW 'PEPRO' soundcard TNC. There is plenty of signal reaching the soundcard (that's not the problem). As I've said, the SSID is a "-1". That won't change and shouldn't enter into the problem anyway. There's no GPS, that's not an option, and since this program has worked without one and has shown my mobile moving, it's just not part of the problem.
                So, what now?
                Paul
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
                  There's a reason I keep quoted material in a post. I've got WAY too
                  many threads of things going on to be able to pull the context together.

                  And we don't all read the messages on the web or with a threaded
                  reader. I personally process each message on its own merits and I have
                  no idea what these answers apply to.

                  But, if there's "no GPS", then how did it show "my mobile moving". We
                  need COMPLETE DETAILS of what you DO and DON'T have. Mention EVERY
                  station, by callsign-SSID, connections, and hardware/software and what
                  you expect to see where and when and under what operating conditions.

                  Otherwise, something that you think "shouldn't enter into the problem"
                  quite well might, or you wouldn't be having any problems, right?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011

                    Paul

                    Let us know everything, the trivial bit you don’t post is probably the bit that’s going wrong

                    I read one post to mean the pc was not using the radio but you had a separate tracker.

                    If you don’t have a GPS attached and are not manually changing the location, it’s not going to be shown moving..

                    Steve

                    G6UIM

                    There's a reason I keep quoted material in a post. I've got WAY too
                    many threads of things going on to be able to pull the context together.

                    And we don't all read the messages on the web or with a threaded
                    reader. I personally process each message on its own merits and I have
                    no idea what these answers apply to.

                    But, if there's "no GPS", then how did it show "my mobile moving". We
                    need COMPLETE DETAILS of what you DO and DON'T have. Mention EVERY
                    station, by callsign-SSID, connections, and hardware/software and what
                    you expect to see where and when and under what operating conditions.

                    Otherwise, something that you think "shouldn't enter into the problem"
                    quite well might, or you wouldn't be having any problems, right?

                    On 4/18/2011 9:01 PM, ltdoc wrote:
                    > The primary use is RF input only, but it also may be internet connected at times. Figure RF only. The radio? One of several, all on 144.390 Mhz. And I'm using the AGW 'PEPRO' soundcard TNC. There is plenty of signal reaching the soundcard (that's not the problem). As I've said, the SSID is a "-1". That won't change and shouldn't enter into the problem anyway. There's no GPS, that's not an option, and since this program has worked without one and has shown my mobile moving, it's just not part of the problem.
                    > So, what now?
                    > Paul

                  • ltdoc
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
                      Okay, let me ask the question this way.
                      Is it possible for this program to use an RF input sent by a typical APRS transmitter to display the positions of the mobiles sending those APRS transmissions? One of those mobiles would be mine which is also transmitting an RF APRS signal (separate transmitter not connected to the laptop of the receiver used for reception of those signal, a 'stand-alone' transmitter). This is for an RF only system, I don't want to rely on an internet connection which may not always be available.
                      My 'home computer' doesn't use a GPS either, but since I know the position, and since it doesn't change, I can enter the lat/long. It also uses an RF input, separate receiver for that. It seems to be working fine. Except for the "Me" being my call without an SSID, it's set up just like the laptop. The mobile APRS transmitter is identified by my call plus that "-1". (From what you've posted, NOT enterning that call in the laptop's program ought to 'cure' the program's mistaking it's self for the fixed station?
                      What else do you have to know?
                      Paul / W5LZ
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
                        On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM, ltdoc <ltdoc@...> wrote:

                        > Is it possible for this program to use an RF input sent by a typical APRS transmitter

                        Technically, it is RF output that is sent by a transmitter... RF input
                        is received by a receiver.

                        > to display the positions of the mobiles sending those APRS transmissions?

                        Yes, set up a copy of APRSISCE/32 on you laptop. Connect up whatever
                        it is that you have for RF reception and decoding to APRSISCE/32.

                        You'll need to set a callsign in that instance of APRSISCE/32.

                        > One of those mobiles would be mine which is also transmitting an
                        > RF APRS signal (separate transmitter not connected to the laptop
                        > of the receiver used for reception of those signal, a 'stand-alone'
                        > transmitter).

                        So, just like any other RF based tracker/APRS system out there... set
                        this up with a callsign as well.

                        > My 'home computer' doesn't use a GPS either, but since I know
                        > the position, and since it doesn't change, I can enter the lat/long.

                        Set this up identically to the laptop, again, you'll need a callsign
                        assigned here.

                        Ensure that each APRS station you have configured uses a different
                        callsign-SSID assignment.

                        You're all set up and running. Both the home computer and laptop will
                        have static maps displayed, showing where ever you have assigned the
                        map to display.

                        There is no way for the laptop to magically discern its position
                        without some type of outside input. To automate the process, add a GPS
                        to the laptop, and feed the NMEA strings into APRSISCE/32 so it knows
                        where it is. Manually you can move the map around to where you want to
                        look.

                        With both the laptop and home computer, you can configure the program
                        to track a specific station and the map will stay centered on that
                        station as long as it is sending position reports.

                        We haven't quite gotten to the point where a laptop has the ability to
                        "look around" on it's own and determine where it is on the face of the
                        planet... maybe in a few years, but not right now.

                      • vk2asy
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 18, 2011
                          ?I think the answer is Yes!

                          Your laptop using APRSIS32 receiving off air should be able to display stations in your local area, that are transmitting their locations on the correct frequency...

                          After that I am not sure what you are asking...

                          73 Kim

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 19, 2011
                            Yes, APRSISCE/32 will work with an external TNC or internal AGW PEpro to
                            receive decoded APRS packets from an RF source. To do so, you must use
                            Configure / Ports / New Port and choose the appropriate interface type
                            for your TNC (see also: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration
                            and http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/system:page-tags/tag/tnc). You have not
                            given us any indication that you have such an RFPort configured into
                            your mobile version on the laptop.

                            Instead, you stated "One of those mobiles would be mine which is also
                            transmitting an RF APRS signal", that's a good start, a source of RF
                            APRS packets. But you go on to say "(separate transmitter not connected
                            to the laptop of the receiver used for reception of those signal" which
                            makes me wonder just what IS connected to the laptop for interfacing to
                            APRSISCE/32. Finally you drop "a 'stand-alone' transmitter).", which
                            still has me wondering if you even HAVE a receiver and/or packet decoder
                            (be it TNC or software) in the mobile.

                            Finally, your tone sounds like you're just fishing for possibilities and
                            haven't actually installed any of this which might explain your
                            reluctance to answer detailed questions about your setup. Without
                            details, we really can't help you get it going. But if you're just
                            looking for an "Is this Possible?", the answer is "Yes, with the
                            appropriate hardware and interface to the laptop".

                            As James pointed out, with no GPS source to the laptop, the mobile
                            APRSISCE/32 instance will keep Me in a fixed location. You should be
                            able to view all of the RF-received stations, including your own
                            "separate transmitter", but the map won't move automatically unless you
                            center on one of them at which point it will move jerkily as packets are
                            received, unlike the smooth motion you get with a direct GPS feed to
                            APRSISCE/32.

                            So, is this a hypothetical question, or do you have real hardware liken
                            Kenwood or Alinco radios, KCP-3+ or TT4 or OT2m TNCs, and/or serial
                            connections or AGE PE soundcard interfaces on the mobile laptop? Are
                            you running W5LZ at home and W5LZ-1 on the mobile laptop and W5LZ-9 as
                            the "standalone" or is this all a setup for a friend whose call (or lack
                            thereof) is completely unknown and mysterious at this time?

                            We really want to help, but the frustration at the non-direct answers
                            and simply restated questions is growing...

                            PS. The only difference between a "fixed" station and a mobile one is a
                            source of live location information via a GPS. The -SSID isn't a cure
                            for fixed vs mobile, but should be unique for a given callsign across
                            every installation of any APRS hardware or software instance.

                            On 4/19/2011 1:28 AM, ltdoc wrote:
                            > Okay, let me ask the question this way.
                            > Is it possible for this program to use an RF input sent by a typical APRS transmitter to display the positions of the mobiles sending those APRS transmissions? One of those mobiles would be mine which is also transmitting an RF APRS signal (separate transmitter not connected to the laptop of the receiver used for reception of those signal, a 'stand-alone' transmitter). This is for an RF only system, I don't want to rely on an internet connection which may not always be available.
                            > My 'home computer' doesn't use a GPS either, but since I know the position, and since it doesn't change, I can enter the lat/long. It also uses an RF input, separate receiver for that. It seems to be working fine. Except for the "Me" being my call without an SSID, it's set up just like the laptop. The mobile APRS transmitter is identified by my call plus that "-1". (From what you've posted, NOT enterning that call in the laptop's program ought to 'cure' the program's mistaking it's self for the fixed station?
                            > What else do you have to know?
                            > Paul / W5LZ
                          • Randy Love
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 19, 2011
                              I'm just taking a guess here, but I think Paul has his car sending with the same SSID as his mobile APRSIS32 instance, but the car transmitter is free-standing from the APRSI32 laptop. He wants to receive the RF signal with his laptop, and since the laptop and transmitter have the same SSID, he wants to know if APRSIS32 will 'update itself' with the same position and move along that way.

                              If that is the case, then no, it really won't because the APRSIS32 laptop doesn't get it's position data from an RF receiver on the APRS channel by looking for a station transmitting with the same SSID. If you wish to follow yourself that way, then you will need to have a different SSID for the laptop in the vehicle, and open a multi-track window for the call-SSID of the stand-alone aprs transmitter. Effectively, what you're doing is listening to the RF channel only, and the SSID used for the mobile laptop is just easedropping and not really used or beaconed.

                              So, if that is the case, you have W5LZ on the home station, W5LZ-1 in the stand-alone aprs transmitter in your car, and W5LZ-11 ( although I like -13 in this case, ;) on the laptop in the car running a receiver only setup for decoding the local RF network.

                              Am I close, Paul?

                              73,
                              Randy
                              WF5X
                            • ltdoc
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 19, 2011
                                Randy,
                                I think that's pretty close, and I'll find out today how changing SSID's works out. I also want to try one or two other 'changes', see what happens.
                                All of this is in regard to the tracking of personnel by the local EOC during weather activities (but certainly not limited to that). Because of the nature of things in this part of the world, most of the things, or equipment used, has to be as 'simple' as possible (everyone can't be 'experts'). It's a, "find a workable solution then 'nail' the @#$ thing down so someone can't goof and change it", sort of thing. Unfortunately, all this can't be done from a fixed location at times.
                                Thanks for the effort though!
                                Paul / W5LZ
                              • ltdoc
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                  I had to re-install the program and I have a problem. There is only one station showing up on the screen, my mobile in the yard. Nothing else via RF, that's with a local digi, and where before the re-install there were gobs of stations. I've checked ports and there are signals heard on the radio but nothing is showing up. What the devil have I missed??
                                  - 'Doc
                                • Adam Mahnke
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                    Check your view menu. Make sure that 'All' is selected

                                    Adam
                                    KC2ANT

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                      Also, in the upper right corner, is it saying "APRS-IS OK"?  Or is it an RF-only station?

                                      Is the digi down for some reason?

                                      Are there stations showing up in the packet scroller pane that aren't on the map?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                        Lynn,
                                        Yes, it is an RF only set up, and the "name-of-the-port is Okay". To the best of my knowledge the local digi is working as it should be, and there are a number of other digi's within range that are also working.

                                        This morning, there are a few stations appearing on APRSIS32 but still none on a 'UI-View' that is also running (both connected to the same sound-card TNC). There's another mobile APRS station that's always running in town, maybe 2 miles from me, that isn't showing up.
                                        I have a feeling that it isn't 'strictly' a problem with APRSIS32, or UI-View, but maybe with the receiver used for that RF input. I've tried three different receivers, same results, so think that's a possibility but not very likely (if that makes sense).

                                        Maybe I should have put this at the beginning...
                                        I've been using a version of the program dated from 2012 and just updated to the newest version. It's gone through the 'setup' process and from what I can tell it's working properly. (Or I've screwed up somewhere?) I really find it odd that there's nothing showing except my mobile less than 20 yards away from this computer. One thing is that it could be a huge lack of propagation but I find that hard to believe. I've got to be missing something somewhere.
                                        - 'Doc

                                        PS - Even swapped out the cord from receiver to sound card input.
                                        Sometimes, I just really love this computer ****!
                                      • ltdoc
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                          Another 'PS'

                                          That 'APRS-down' is in the center of the screen, not the right corner. Does that mean anything? Same for the 'name-of-the-port is Okay' thingy.

                                          gonna run out of booze pretty soon... already out of aspirin.
                                        • Rob Giuliano
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                            It appears you are using a sound card TNC.  Can you monitor that directly?
                                               AGW has an App called AGWMonitor.   UZ7HO and others tend to have that built in.

                                            Is the soundcard modem decoding the signals, but they aren't getting to APRSIS32?

                                            Robert Giuliano
                                            KB8RCO

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                              If it's not showing up on ARPSIS32 and also not showing up on UI-View,
                                              then it must be in the tuning of the sound card receiver or just a
                                              dramatic lack of signals. That's why I asked about the digipeater health.

                                              Have you listened to 144.390 and watched the SoundCard modem? Which
                                              soundcard modem are you using?

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                I'm talking about #27 in
                                                http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:screen-elements. The actual location of
                                                the pane depends on your screen orientation as well as whether or not
                                                there's a GPS active.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                  Lynn and all,
                                                  I hate to say it but I've found my 'problem'. I have three separate antenna systems for VHF (2 meters) and have found that the one used for receiving APRS is bad. Always something 'simple' that just -couldn't- be a problem, isn't it? Think I'll go drowned my self in booze...
                                                  Thanks for the efforts and sorry for the inconveniences.
                                                  - 'Doc
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                    If you have ran out of aspirin, forego the booze!