Re: [aprsisce] Re: Shared objects

  • Reuben Wells
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 11, 2011
      Regarding a web server, you wouldn't need to run one, just have access to some space on a public hosted server. Static files would work just fine to start with.

      Regarding the problem of which servers objects should live on, you have two choices (from my limited understanding), (1) only have the objects exist one on digi or (2) have the same object exist on multi digis but with a different name (to avoid the takeover). Both would be easy to setup and manage.

      I still think this would be very easy to implement, will work with existing kit and minimise the pain associated with setting up objects that span multiple digis. Item in message looks promising, if only we could get Kenwood to support them through a firmware upgrade for the software upgradable radios (my understanding is that's not possible for the Yaesu radios).

      If we don't do anything here, APRS will be left just for tracking (in the UK at least). A way to manage object centrally would allow the few people that are interested to setup objects on a larger scale to kick start the interest.

      Reuben

      On 11 Apr 2011, at 10:21, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Reuben Wells <row@...> wrote:

      > Going back to something like WOTA, you
      > take the 200+ points, chop them up into 4-5 XML files, for each of the
      > local digis (so there is no duplication) and ask each of the digi owners
      > to point at a given URL. If you want to add / remove objects, change
      > comments etc, you update the files and the local digis automatically
      > pull in the updates.
      >
      > It seems trivial to do and would provide a means to ensure local
      > information is available over RF, does not require always on Internet
      > and APRSISCE already has the means to do this. Rather than loading
      > objects from "file:\....\..xml" it just needs to be able to support a
      > list of URLs i.e. "file\...xml, http://....xml, http://....cgi" and
      > refresh once in a while.

      It looks as if you would require the publisher of the objects to run a web server, which would be a problem for a lot of people.

      Also I don't see how dividing up objects among different stations with no overlap will work in practise. It just will not be the case that if you are in radio range of X, your query will be satisfied using only X's subset of WOTAs.

      Julian, G4ILO

    • Reuben Wells
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 11, 2011