QRU server/responder (Dev: 2011/04/06 04:25)

    Message 1 of 183 , Apr 6, 2011
      Ok, let's see how much chaos we can cause (not really).

      Those of you with ?group queriable objects set up, when you get the
      latest version downloaded, can you check Configure / Objects / QRU /
      Enable? (If that menu item is disabled, then you don't have any ?group
      objects that are enabled and with at least one via checked). That will
      cause your instance to begin looking at any/all messages to QRU that it
      sees. Remember, it's only going to see messages that match your filter,
      but if you're running u/APWM*/APWW*, then you'll see all
      APRSISCE/32-originated messages.

      Once it's up and running, send any query (starts with a ?) to QRU and
      see what all responses you get. For every enabled server that hears
      your query and that knows about your station, you should get an answer
      showing your station's position relative to that station along with an
      InRange or TooFar mention based on the Configure / Objects / QRU / Range
      setting on the server. My KJ4ERJ-AL full feed instance is so-configured
      so at least it should respond to anyone that queries.

      No objects are harmed... er transmitted in this action as I'm too tired
      to actually spin through them and calculate the necessary distances. My
      plan is to trigger sending of any that match the ?group query and the
      range from the requester and then reply back to the requester with the
      IDs of the objects actually transmitted rather than just a count. That
      might make it easier to actually FIND the object that was (hopefully)
      received.

      PS. Non-query messages to QRU are completely ignored as are any
      messages from stations not known to the server. The entire function
      goes inoperative if you disable or remove the vias from all of your
      ?group objects. At that point, the Configure / Objects / QRU / Enable
      will also be disabled.

      Oh, one other thing, any QRU activity that is detected will cause the
      QRU trace log to automatically appear. This is temporary and just to
      let you positively know that your server is fielding QRU stuff.
      Message 183 of 183 , Apr 11, 2011
        For every over/under/layer there's a performance penalty that I'd just
        as soon not pay. If you want to see it, select it in View. If you
        don't, then don't select ALL or knock it out with a filter setting.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Leaving some space for alternative APRS clients (for
        now)