Re: [aprsisce] Re: DEV version

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
      On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:

      > Keep in mind the development versions will occasionally work incorrectly,
      > but I must say, the problems been minor so far, and Lynn is very quick to get it fixed.

      The biggest hazard is filling your hard drive with old versions of the
      program. Each update renames the old program, and puts the new one in
      place. You can get 4 or 5 old programs added to the drive in a day
      some times!

      Easy fix though... delete the old ones.

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
        I find no old ones on my computer always updates correctly here.

        Ron N9SZV

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
          If you don't find the old copies on your computer, then your updates
          are NOT working properly, because the update process renames the
          existing version and saves it as a backup in case the latest
          development version is hootched.

          On 4/2/11, Ron <n9szv@...> wrote:
          > I find no old ones on my computer always updates correctly here.
          >
          > Ron N9SZV
          >

          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> > Keep in mind the development versions will occasionally work
          >> > incorrectly,
          >> > but I must say, the problems been minor so far, and Lynn is very quick
          >> > to get it fixed.
          >>
          >> The biggest hazard is filling your hard drive with old versions of the
          >> program. Each update renames the old program, and puts the new one in
          >> place. You can get 4 or 5 old programs added to the drive in a day
          >> some times!
          >>
          >> Easy fix though... delete the old ones.
          >>
          >> James
          >> VE6SRV

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
            never mind....I found 7 APRSIS32.exe in that folder it helps if you have it in Details view! can you just delete them?

            Ron N9SZV

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
              On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Ron <n9szv@...> wrote:

              > never mind....I found 7 APRSIS32.exe in that folder it helps
              > if you have it in Details view! can you just delete them?

              If the current development release is working fine, you can delete the
              older files, and corresponding XML files.

              The renamed older files are just insurance in case Lynn really mucks
              something up... you can delete the new file, and rename the old one to
              get back to a working file.

              I have never needed to back up. I think there's been 2 times where
              Lynn mucked things up to where you had to revert, but I missed both 30
              minute or so busted windows, and never ran across the problem.

            • KE6BB
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
                Just for the record, when an update is downloaded and run, it renames the previous .EXE file and .XML file as James mentioned. They are renamed by appending the files original release date in the format YYYYMMhhmm where Y=Year, M=Month, h=hour, and m=minute. So the PREVIOUS version I was using became APRSIS32.exe.201104012329 and APRSIS32.xml.201104012329. Those are the files you can safely delete once you are sure the new version is working.

                I noticed that I have a bunch of them on my HD since I don't get around to deleting them very often...except on my mobile device where storage space is a bit more limited.

                Mark
                KE6BB

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
                  You must have extensions hidden or something. Every time About
                  downloads a new version, the current version's .EXE is renamed to
                  APRSIS32.EXE.yymmddhhmm and stays there. As of a few weeks ago, the
                  .XML configuration file is also copied before the new version can muck
                  with it in a possibly non-revertable fashion. So, you must be looking
                  at where your shortcut is and not in the actual program/XML's folder.