DEV version

  • kc9gqr
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
      where do i go get the DEV version.. Wanting to play with the weather Storm season is here in the midwest
    • KE6BB
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
        Check out the wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/development-version. Be sure to follow the link that tells you how to edit the XML file.

        Keep in mind the development versions will occasionally work incorrectly, but I must say, the problems been minor so far, and Lynn is very quick to get it fixed.

        Mark
        KE6BB

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
          On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:

          > Keep in mind the development versions will occasionally work incorrectly,
          > but I must say, the problems been minor so far, and Lynn is very quick to get it fixed.

          The biggest hazard is filling your hard drive with old versions of the
          program. Each update renames the old program, and puts the new one in
          place. You can get 4 or 5 old programs added to the drive in a day
          some times!

          Easy fix though... delete the old ones.

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
            I find no old ones on my computer always updates correctly here.

            Ron N9SZV

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
              If you don't find the old copies on your computer, then your updates
              are NOT working properly, because the update process renames the
              existing version and saves it as a backup in case the latest
              development version is hootched.

              On 4/2/11, Ron <n9szv@...> wrote:
              > I find no old ones on my computer always updates correctly here.
              >
              > Ron N9SZV
              >

              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM, KE6BB <rv6amark@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> > Keep in mind the development versions will occasionally work
              >> > incorrectly,
              >> > but I must say, the problems been minor so far, and Lynn is very quick
              >> > to get it fixed.
              >>
              >> The biggest hazard is filling your hard drive with old versions of the
              >> program. Each update renames the old program, and puts the new one in
              >> place. You can get 4 or 5 old programs added to the drive in a day
              >> some times!
              >>
              >> Easy fix though... delete the old ones.
              >>
              >> James
              >> VE6SRV

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
                never mind....I found 7 APRSIS32.exe in that folder it helps if you have it in Details view! can you just delete them?

                Ron N9SZV

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
                  On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Ron <n9szv@...> wrote:

                  > never mind....I found 7 APRSIS32.exe in that folder it helps
                  > if you have it in Details view! can you just delete them?

                  If the current development release is working fine, you can delete the
                  older files, and corresponding XML files.

                  The renamed older files are just insurance in case Lynn really mucks
                  something up... you can delete the new file, and rename the old one to
                  get back to a working file.

                  I have never needed to back up. I think there's been 2 times where
                  Lynn mucked things up to where you had to revert, but I missed both 30
                  minute or so busted windows, and never ran across the problem.

                • KE6BB
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
                    Just for the record, when an update is downloaded and run, it renames the previous .EXE file and .XML file as James mentioned. They are renamed by appending the files original release date in the format YYYYMMhhmm where Y=Year, M=Month, h=hour, and m=minute. So the PREVIOUS version I was using became APRSIS32.exe.201104012329 and APRSIS32.xml.201104012329. Those are the files you can safely delete once you are sure the new version is working.

                    I noticed that I have a bunch of them on my HD since I don't get around to deleting them very often...except on my mobile device where storage space is a bit more limited.

                    Mark
                    KE6BB

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2011
                      You must have extensions hidden or something. Every time About
                      downloads a new version, the current version's .EXE is renamed to
                      APRSIS32.EXE.yymmddhhmm and stays there. As of a few weeks ago, the
                      .XML configuration file is also copied before the new version can muck
                      with it in a possibly non-revertable fashion. So, you must be looking
                      at where your shortcut is and not in the actual program/XML's folder.