HALO vs PHG data

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 5:51 PM
      Not to stir up an old hornet's nest, but I just ran across this tidbit
      in the APRS spec (no Lynn, I'm not trying to fall asleep yet).

      *****
      The height code represents the effective height of the antenna above average
      local terrain, not above ground or sea level — this is to provide a rough
      indication of the antenna’s effectiveness in the local area .
      The height code may in fact be any ASCII character 0–9 and above. This is
      so that larger heights for balloons, aircraft or satellites may be specified.
      For example:
      : is the height code for 10240 feet (approximately 1.9 miles).
      ; is the height code for 20480 feet (approximately 3.9 miles), and so on.
      *****

      The important part being towards the bottom of the quote, where the
      height code is not restricted to just the digits 0-9, but rather any
      ASCII character.

      The calculation for HAAT from the height code being 10 * 2^N where N
      is the code, so each progression is a doubling of the last altitude.
      That means that the division between each progressive value gets
      larger and larger in a hurry, but one can represent some seriously
      huge HAAT values, not just HAAT up to 5120 feet AGL.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 7:26 PM
        So, set up a PHG using the "expected" range provided by the drop-down,
        and then manually put your increase HAAT code in the PHG. I hope you'll
        find that my parser and display handle it (check the tall
        station/object's popup display for the interpreted PHG including HAAT),
        I just didn't think it was necessary to have all of those ridiculously
        large height options in the general use drop-down.

        PS. I'm sure you'll yet find something in aprs101.pdf that I'm not doing
        yet, but you'll have to spend a few more sleepless nights looking for it!

        Then we can launch into Bob's APRS1.1 and APRS1.2 pages of
        ideas-more-than-specs.