Re: Objects (Dev: 2011/03/30 12:36)

  • apenadragon
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 1 4:40 AM
      Just food for thought,

      The UI-View add on that does this sort of thing is placed as an object on the screen, with the instructions to send ?Info to the hosting station...

      it responds with all the options that are available from that home station in a message...

      while I don't think that add on is the end all be all, it does have some interesting concepts as to how to advertise that there is extra information available.

      EG
      To: KC2ANT: ?info
      From KC2ANT: ?Voice, ?fuel, ?hosp, ?PD, ?FD, ?etc.....

      then you can send ?voice and it could send a list of local voice repeaters in the database out via message, OR it could trigger the program to send ONCE via wide1-1, or 2-1, or perhaps whatever path the ?voice was recieved by, objects to list GPS coordinates, and contact phone numbers.

      Granted this still requires someone in an area to load this information into the system, and keep it up to date. Granted in an ideal world there should be 1 local voice repeater advertised that a passing traveler is likly to find help/local information on already on the map per instructions found http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

      Just my thoughts, but I've had almost no sleep so it may not make sense to anyone.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 5 5:03 PM
        On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Steve Daniels
        <steve@...> wrote:

        > What I love about the USA is you pay for something via tax and
        > get the data for free, (well other than having paid via tax) here you
        > pay for it via tax and then get to pay thousands to access the data after.

        Canada followed the UK standard for years, but just recently, the tide
        has turned. We are now getting overwhelmed with free access to our
        taxpayer's paid for data.

        If you look at the OSM map around my area, most of the rural roads
        came from CanVec, and the water and woods being imported are also from
        CanVec. The data may be a little less than perfect, but it is much
        better than the big blank that we had due to so few OSM users in such
        a large country. CanVec is also looking at using OSM contributed data
        to update their information in the future.

        The UK might see the light one day.