Re: [aprsisce] Instantaneous Course/Speed Vector

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 31, 2011
      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

      > It is a dead reckoning estimate of your location based on the
      > speed and course received from that 'old' packet.

      Nope, can't be that because dead reckoning is based on the last known
      course and speed... this vector changes angle and size based on
      instantaneous changes in course and speed. It also emanates from an
      old location, not the current location. Also, since the current
      location is currently where I am located, dead reckoning from the
      current location would put me right where I would be on the next
      screen update... These vectors extend well beyond a dead reckoned
      position, if they emanated from the current position.

      > Then next posit you send will update to your current location, and if there
      > was a speed and course associated with it, the dead reckoning projection
      > will start all over again..

      I used to see that when driving down the road, and having the D710
      beaconing as VE6SRV, with APRSISCE/32 running as VE6SRV-9. When the
      D710 would beacon, a truck would get plotted at my current location,
      and then the DR truck would wander along right with my laptop icon
      from APRSISCE/32. The two would only deviate if I changed velocity or
      course.

    • Randy Love
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
        Ah..

        Well, you have the added benefit of dynamic dead reckoning because of data direct from an attached GPS.  :)

        Lynn can confirm this, but the laptop at Wye road is what your GPS is currently showing. The laptop at the top of the line is your last beaconed position. And then the software is using that position to base your dead reckoning projections, but appears that Lynn was sneeking and using up-to-date GPS data for the ME dead reckon calculations.

        That would explain what's happening. Lynn can confirm.

        Pretty sneaky.

        Randy
        WF5X

      • apenadragon
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
          I actually witnessed this when driving home the other day, and happened to spot my DR icon moving in the opposite direction...

          it took me a few moments to sort out what was happening, I had an icon where the last beacon took place, I had my current location, and then I had this third icon at the end of the DR line, as my speed and direction changed the DR icon moved in relation to the last beaconed icon according to my CURRENT direction and speed... I imagine that if one were to go to a parking lot and drive in a large circle at the right speed they could get the DR icon to pass through a full 360 degree arc outside the actual current location....

          yeah, i need more sleep because that sounds amusing to go try...

          My thought is that DR works on the latest information available to the program in relation to course and speed... when receiving another station all you have is the information that it beaconed, or that was calculated, depending on how APRSIS is configured, so the DR line goes in one direction until expiration or a new beacon is recieved.

          When DRing your self, the program has updated information on course and speed every 2-5 seconds, and changes the DR line accordingly... Travel at 30mph, and then as soon as the beacon goes out, count to 5 and then come to a stop as if stopping at a stop light, you'll watch your DR icon travel backwards. Just dont' hit anything.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
            Ok, remind me not to be anywhere near the road on which you all are
            driving. The reason I haven't noticed this is that I toss the phone on
            the dash while in motion. Oh, and I might have DR turned off for power
            savings also.

            I think you've nailed the bug well, I suspect that I'm not recording the
            last beaconed course and speed for the purposes of DR, but am actually
            using the most current values from the GPS, but only for ME (obviously I
            don't have a more current course and speed for anyone else). I know I
            have the last beaconed position, but I really didn't think I was
            painting a station there, but I'm not surprised about the one at the
            moving end of the DR line, it makes sense.

            I'll see if I can remember to do something about this and then take my
            phone for a walk to test it.

            And remember, KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD! APRSISCE/32 doesn't do the
            "glass cockpit" thing yet! <grin>

            On 4/1/2011 7:52 AM, apenadragon wrote:
            > I actually witnessed this when driving home the other day, and happened to spot my DR icon moving in the opposite direction...
            >
            > it took me a few moments to sort out what was happening, I had an icon where the last beacon took place, I had my current location, and then I had this third icon at the end of the DR line, as my speed and direction changed the DR icon moved in relation to the last beaconed icon according to my CURRENT direction and speed... I imagine that if one were to go to a parking lot and drive in a large circle at the right speed they could get the DR icon to pass through a full 360 degree arc outside the actual current location....
            >

            > yeah, i need more sleep because that sounds amusing to go try...
            >
            > My thought is that DR works on the latest information available to the program in relation to course and speed... when receiving another station all you have is the information that it beaconed, or that was calculated, depending on how APRSIS is configured, so the DR line goes in one direction until expiration or a new beacon is recieved.
            >
            > When DRing your self, the program has updated information on course and speed every 2-5 seconds, and changes the DR line accordingly... Travel at 30mph, and then as soon as the beacon goes out, count to 5 and then come to a stop as if stopping at a stop light, you'll watch your DR icon travel backwards. Just dont' hit anything.
            >
            > Adam
            > KC2ANT
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love<rlove31@...> wrote:
            >> Ah..
            >>
            >> Well, you have the added benefit of dynamic dead reckoning because of data
            >> direct from an attached GPS. :)
            >>
            >> Lynn can confirm this, but the laptop at Wye road is what your GPS is
            >> currently showing. The laptop at the top of the line is your last beaconed
            >> position. And then the software is using that position to base your dead
            >> reckoning projections, but appears that Lynn was sneeking and using
            >> up-to-date GPS data for the ME dead reckon calculations.
            >>
            >> That would explain what's happening. Lynn can confirm.
            >>
            >> Pretty sneaky.
            >>
            >> Randy
            >> WF5X

          • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
              YET! So the full glass cockpit is coming if we wait long enough?

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                What!?

                Yours isn't a HUD display yet?

                We need Lynn to mount a netbook in his vehicle! It will be an eye-opener sometimes.

                href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love<rlove31@...> wrote:
                >> Ah..
                >>
                >> Well,
                you have the added benefit of dynamic dead reckoning because of data

                direct from an attached GPS. :)

                >> Lynn can confirm this,
                but the laptop at Wye road is what your GPS is
                >> currently showing.
                The laptop at the top of the line is your last beaconed
                >> position.
                And then the software is using that position to base your dead

                reckoning projections, but appears that Lynn was sneeking and using

                up-to-date GPS data for the ME dead reckon calculations.

                That would explain what's happening. Lynn can confirm.

                Pretty sneaky.

                >> Randy

                WF5X

                ------------------------------------

                > Yahoo! Groups
                Links

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                  That was a bit repetitiously redundant; HUD display.

> [...]

                  > Adam
                  > KC2ANT
                  >
                  > --- In
                  href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love<rlove31@...> wrote:
                  >> Ah..
                  >>
                  >> Well,
                  you have the added benefit of dynamic dead reckoning because of data

                  direct from an attached GPS. :)

                  >> Lynn can confirm this,
                  but the laptop at Wye road is what your GPS is
                  >> currently showing.
                  The laptop at the top of the line is your last beaconed
                  >> position.
                  And then the software is using that position to base your dead

                  reckoning projections, but appears that Lynn was sneeking and using

                  up-to-date GPS data for the ME dead reckon calculations.

                  That would explain what's happening. Lynn can confirm.

                  WF5X

                  ------------------------------------

                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  Links

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Yeah, my eyes would open really wide every time I narrowly avoid an oncoming vehicle.

                    I've actually tried angling my phone to reflect in the windshield, but the image is turned around and it's obviously a bit tiny.

                    On 4/1/2011 9:47 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
> [...]

                    > Adam
                    > KC2ANT
                    >
                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love<rlove31@...> wrote:
                    >> Ah..
                    >>
                    >> Well, you have the added benefit of dynamic dead reckoning because of data
                    >> direct from an attached GPS. :)
                    >>
                    >> Lynn can confirm this, but the laptop at Wye road is what your GPS is
                    >> currently showing. The laptop at the top of the line is your last beaconed
                    >> position. And then the software is using that position to base your dead
                    >> reckoning projections, but appears that Lynn was sneeking and using
                    >> up-to-date GPS data for the ME dead reckon calculations.
                    >>
                    >> That would explain what's happening. Lynn can confirm.

                  • apenadragon
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                      It's a multi tasking issue of mine, and it's a 19" screen... this is NOT my normal operation. Although I will be having an assistant, or be riding shot gun when this is used for special events.

                      I may be wrong, it may not be painting an icon at the last beacon location, but there is the square dot on the screen, Don't have it in front of me at the moment. There are definatly three positions in play. Last beaconed location, Current location from the GPS info, and the DR projection... honestly, I don't see the issue.... it's interesting, but I dont' see the problem... perhaps there's a way to disable DR on "ME"

                      I'll mess with turning DR off on the drive home tonight to confirm if it does or does not make that other image go away. (after I pick up the YL and will make her run the PC of course ) unless of course someone else beats me to it.

                      Adam
                      KC2ANT

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                        RIGHT! That makes sense. The black square is the track point at which
                        a beacon was issued. James's image had a symbol there because his other
                        station used the same symbol. So, in James's picture we had 2 stations
                        at the same point, then one moved away beaconing a speed and direction.
                        ME's symbol moved with him realtime, while the DR ghost of the same
                        symbol moved out in front (or behind) based on his (improperly) current
                        speed/heading from the GPS, but the line on the DR (properly) went back
                        to his last beaconed position.

                        I like the DR on ME from the last beaconed position, but it needs to
                        also be based on the then-beaconed speed and heading. It's kind of a
                        more visual indication of what the Red Dot shows relatively inside the
                        circle. If you accelerate in a straight line since your last beacon,
                        the red dot will fall behind and so will the DR ghost symbol. If you
                        decelerate, the red dot and the DR ghost will move ahead of your current
                        position. If you maintain the speed and heading from your last beacon,
                        you'll not even notice the DR ghost because it'll be sitting right on
                        top of ME. If you turn, you'll see the DR continue straight out from
                        the previous beacon point but visually on the screen it will look like
                        it's drifting to one side as ME moves the screen over to stay in the center.

                        So, I just need to fix ME's DR to use the last beaconed speed/heading
                        rather than the current GPS speed/heading and all will be well.

                        PS. 19" mobile? Wow! I drive a big car (1985 Pontiac Parissienne) but
                        I wouldn't have room for 19"! Now my wife's (KJ4OVQ-9) Safari
                        might....Hmmmmmm.

                      • apenadragon
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011

                          > RIGHT! That makes sense. The black square is the track point at which
                          > a beacon was issued. James's image had a symbol there because his other
                          > station used the same symbol. So, in James's picture we had 2 stations
                          > at the same point, then one moved away beaconing a speed and direction.
                          > ME's symbol moved with him realtime, while the DR ghost of the same
                          > symbol moved out in front (or behind) based on his (improperly) current
                          > speed/heading from the GPS, but the line on the DR (properly) went back
                          > to his last beaconed position.
                          >
                          > I like the DR on ME from the last beaconed position, but it needs to
                          > also be based on the then-beaconed speed and heading. It's kind of a
                          > more visual indication of what the Red Dot shows relatively inside the
                          > circle. If you accelerate in a straight line since your last beacon,
                          > the red dot will fall behind and so will the DR ghost symbol. If you
                          > decelerate, the red dot and the DR ghost will move ahead of your current
                          > position. If you maintain the speed and heading from your last beacon,
                          > you'll not even notice the DR ghost because it'll be sitting right on
                          > top of ME. If you turn, you'll see the DR continue straight out from
                          > the previous beacon point but visually on the screen it will look like
                          > it's drifting to one side as ME moves the screen over to stay in the center.

                          Sounds like you've got the understanding of what I saw...

                          > So, I just need to fix ME's DR to use the last beaconed speed/heading
                          > rather than the current GPS speed/heading and all will be well.

                          Do you?? personally I don't see the issue... the DR is a projection of where the station "should" be...

                          Can you tie the DR for ME with the Red Dot? I may be understanding it wrong, but I thought the Red Dot was the same thing showing up on the local screen... I turned mine off, I know where I am, and I know where I'm going, I don't really need to see the red dot, or my own DR icon, but it'd be handy to be able to still see everyone else's

                          > PS. 19" mobile? Wow! I drive a big car (1985 Pontiac Parissienne) but
                          > I wouldn't have room for 19"! Now my wife's (KJ4OVQ-9) Safari
                          > might....Hmmmmmm.

                          '06 Dodge Durango, my laptop fits nicely in the passanger seat, AND I found a USB to serial converter that seems to be working with Windows 7 to let me use the D700 when I need it for special events, or when the YL's (KC2ULK) lap needs to be warmed up ;)

                          Adam
                          KC2ANT (appretiative user of APRSIS32)
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                            On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, apenadragon <kc2ant@...> wrote:

                            >> So, I just need to fix ME's DR to use the last beaconed speed/heading
                            >> rather than the current GPS speed/heading and all will be well.
                            >
                            > Do you?? personally I don't see the issue... the DR is a projection of where
                            > the station "should" be...

                            Actually Adam, it sounds like you're missing the issue.

                            If you take the last reported speed and heading and project that from
                            the last reported location, as time progresses, the dead reckoned icon
                            will move to where the station "could" be.

                            The problem with what we are seeing is that Lynn is using the CURRENT
                            speed and heading, and projecting a possible location using that
                            information from the last reported location.

                            Lets suggest that a position was reported, with a speed of 60 mph, and
                            a heading of 90 degrees. After one minute, the dead
                            reckoned position should be 1 mile east of the reported location.

                            The way it is implemented, if I stop driving east after 30 seconds,
                            the DR position would return back to the last reported location. If I
                            were to turn south and drive for 1 minute at 60 mph (without sending
                            an updated position report), there would be a DR object 1 mile south
                            of the originally reported position.

                            Now, if this instantaneous line were to originate from the current
                            location, it would still be wrong. The line leaving my current
                            location would not be a dead reckoned position, but rather a projected
                            location for a future position report based on the current speed and
                            course, projected into the future the amount of time since the last
                            reported position.

                            When Lynn gets it straightened out, you'll see something interesting
                            happening. As Lynn said, if you continue in a straight line at a
                            constant speed, you won't see the projected icon. If the road turns,
                            or you change speed, then you'll see the projected (DR) icon continue
                            along the last reported vector. Once the Genius settings determine
                            that you've strayed too far, a new position report will be sent, and
                            the DR icon will start moving away from the reported position again.

                          • apenadragon
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                              That may be, but the APRSIS32 does that on its own, does it really need to display that on your local map??

                              I guess that's the question, if you have your Red dot turned on, right now doesn't that show up in the same place as the DR for "Me" in its current configuration? (did go and read the Red Dot explanation on the wiki)

                              if Lynn changes the DR of ME to the same as the DR for everyone else, ie last reported packet, I'm not sure what use that is to the originating station on a local map.

                              Genius is also set to beacon after a set time, or a set distance, or after changing direction so many degrees, all of those user configured. (if I'm understanding it correctly, which I may not be)

                              So, my understanding at this moment is that the DR for ME is showing in the same place that the Red Dot would be, only with the DR Line and beacon icon.

                              If the DR for ME is set to use the same information as the other stations, last reported packet, I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

                              It's an interesting phenomenon... I'd like to see a way to turn off Red Dot (available) and DR for ME Only, and still leave DR for all other stations, regardless of if DR gets changed from its' current configuration or not.

                              Adam
                              KC2ANT

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                                Very well explained James. I have isolated the problem, implemented the
                                solution, and am about to release a new Dev version for those of you
                                that can (safely) see your screen while mobile can test (and hopefully
                                verify) my correction. I base the Dead Reckoning of ME on whether or
                                not you have Configure / Beacon / CourseSpeed checked. If so, ME will
                                dead reckon based on the (hopefully) same information a recipient of
                                your last beaconed packet would be using. If you don't beacon
                                CourseSpeed, then I don't DR ME since you KNOW where you are and where
                                you're heading and you haven't told anyone else anyway.

                                As for the difference/similarity of ME's DR vs the Red Dot.... If you
                                measure the deviation between ME's actual position and the corresponding
                                DR symbol, scale that according to the Configure / Genius / Forecast
                                Error setting, you'll have a bearing (from actual to DR) and a
                                percentage of error (distance / Forecast Error * 100%). Plot that
                                value on the circle based on the compass points where touching the
                                circle = 100% and you have the red dot, a Visualization of the range and
                                direction of the error between a time-based extrapolation of your last
                                beaconed position, speed, and course vs your actual current position, in
                                other words, the red dot displays the magnitude and direction of the
                                error between where an outside observer thinks you are based on the time
                                since and values within your last beacon and where you know yourself to
                                actually be.

                                If the DR is on top of you (constant, straight line motion), the red dot
                                will be on top of you and invisible. You won't see the DR symbol
                                either, most likely.

                                If you speed up (still in a straight line), the DR symbol will start
                                falling behind, and the red dot will start drifting towards the circle,
                                lagging directly behind your current direction of motion, but the DR and
                                red dot will be at different rates because the red dot is a percentage
                                of the allowed Forecast Error (when it touches the circle), and the DR
                                will be where that outside observer would think you are. So, the DR
                                moves according to map scale and the red dot moves according to the
                                magnitude of the allowed Forecast Error.

                                If you slow down (still in a straight line, we can do that here in
                                Florida for long distances), the DR symbol will start pulling out in
                                front of your direction of motion, and so will the red dot, again at
                                different rates. If you take the distance between your actual position
                                and the DR symbol, divide it by the configured Forecast Error, that's
                                relatively how far the red dot will be between the center and edge of
                                the circle, still in your direction of motion.

                                I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out where the DR
                                and red dots will go if you vary just the direction and maintain speed
                                (should drift away from you at 90 degrees) or if you vary both speed and
                                direction.

                                For extra credit, you can play the "red dot game" (yes, this is
                                absolutely worse than just glancing at the APRSISCE/32 screen while
                                driving). Purposely vary your speed and/or direction to control where
                                the red dot is on the circle. Hint: it's a lot easier if you have a
                                very long stretch of very straight road and works fairly well at giving
                                you something to do to stay alert, even if not truly looking where
                                you're going). Hint #2: it's highly discouraged to attempt to control
                                the red dot in any orientation other than directly ahead or behind your
                                current heading unless you're driving on a salt flat or something.
                                Think about it....

                                Now, to quit typing, do a few release notes entries, and get this
                                development release out there for testing!

                                On 4/1/2011 1:52 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                                > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, apenadragon<kc2ant@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >>> So, I just need to fix ME's DR to use the last beaconed speed/heading
                                >>> rather than the current GPS speed/heading and all will be well.
                                >> Do you?? personally I don't see the issue... the DR is a projection of where
                                >> the station "should" be...
                                > Actually Adam, it sounds like you're missing the issue.
                                >
                                > If you take the last reported speed and heading and project that from
                                > the last reported location, as time progresses, the dead reckoned icon
                                > will move to where the station "could" be.
                                >
                                > The problem with what we are seeing is that Lynn is using the CURRENT
                                > speed and heading, and projecting a possible location using that
                                > information from the last reported location.
                                >
                                > Lets suggest that a position was reported, with a speed of 60 mph, and
                                > a heading of 90 degrees. After one minute, the dead
                                > reckoned position should be 1 mile east of the reported location.
                                >
                                > The way it is implemented, if I stop driving east after 30 seconds,
                                > the DR position would return back to the last reported location. If I
                                > were to turn south and drive for 1 minute at 60 mph (without sending
                                > an updated position report), there would be a DR object 1 mile south
                                > of the originally reported position.
                                >
                                > Now, if this instantaneous line were to originate from the current
                                > location, it would still be wrong. The line leaving my current
                                > location would not be a dead reckoned position, but rather a projected
                                > location for a future position report based on the current speed and
                                > course, projected into the future the amount of time since the last
                                > reported position.
                                >
                                > When Lynn gets it straightened out, you'll see something interesting
                                > happening. As Lynn said, if you continue in a straight line at a
                                > constant speed, you won't see the projected icon. If the road turns,
                                > or you change speed, then you'll see the projected (DR) icon continue
                                > along the last reported vector. Once the Genius settings determine
                                > that you've strayed too far, a new position report will be sent, and
                                > the DR icon will start moving away from the reported position again.
                                >
                                > James
                                > VE6SRV
                              • apenadragon
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                                  ok, that invovled more math than my sleep deprived mind can handle at the moment, will try it again tomorrow when I've had some sleep.

                                  regardless, I've got my red dot turned off as it doesn't give me anything useful for my purposes.

                                  If I can get the new Dev version before I leave at 3pm I'll have the YL see what it does as we drive home.

                                  Adam
                                  KC2ANT

                                  and James, thanks for your patience in trying to educate me. I'm playing catch up on some of this stuff.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                                    On 4/1/2011 2:17 PM, apenadragon wrote:
                                    > That may be, but the APRSIS32 does that on its own, does it really need to display that on your local map??

                                    As a diagnostic aid, yes. As a game to play on long drives, maybe. For
                                    non-interested parties, that's why you can turn it off.

                                    > I guess that's the question, if you have your Red dot turned on, right now doesn't that show up in the same place as the DR for "Me" in its current configuration? (did go and read the Red Dot explanation on the wiki)

                                    Nope, the scales are different. DR is in map scale miles. Red Dot is
                                    in % of Genius / Forecast Error where the circle is 100%.

                                    > if Lynn changes the DR of ME to the same as the DR for everyone else, ie last reported packet, I'm not sure what use that is to the originating station on a local map.

                                    It shows the originating station where an outside observer would think
                                    you are, relative to your desired maximum error in the red dot, and
                                    actual forecasted position in the DR symbol.

                                    > Genius is also set to beacon after a set time, or a set distance, or after changing direction so many degrees, all of those user configured. (if I'm understanding it correctly, which I may not be)

                                    You are correct. The overriding current factor is what is displayed as
                                    a percentage towards the beacon ("Transmit Pressure") in the APRS-IS OK
                                    pane on the display as well as the bottom-most bar at the bottom of that
                                    pane. Hit Transmit and you'll see that bar drop back to zero (left) and
                                    start growing to the right and morphing from green to red based on the
                                    displayed Transmit Pressure.

                                    > So, my understanding at this moment is that the DR for ME is showing in the same place that the Red Dot would be, only with the DR Line and beacon icon.

                                    Different scales as already mentioned, so they may be in the same
                                    relative location as ME (I'm still not sure about that), but probably
                                    different distances away.

                                    > If the DR for ME is set to use the same information as the other stations, last reported packet, I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

                                    It shows you what other's would believe based on what you've told them.

                                    > It's an interesting phenomenon... I'd like to see a way to turn off Red Dot (available) and DR for ME Only, and still leave DR for all other stations, regardless of if DR gets changed from its' current configuration or not.

                                    To turn off DR for ME, you'll have to turn off Configure / Beacon /
                                    CourseSpeed as I've coupled them together in the upcoming release.
                                    Prior to that, if you have Screen / Dead Reckoning turned on, it'll DR
                                    me. With the upcoming release, if you are beaconing CourseSpeed, then
                                    you'll be seeing what you're leading others to believe. I think it will
                                    be informative.

                                    Of course, turning off Screen / Dead Reckoning turns it off for both ME
                                    and others.

                                    > Adam
                                    > KC2ANT
                                    >

                                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:

                                    >>> Do you?? personally I don't see the issue... the DR is a projection of where
                                    >>> the station "should" be...
                                    >> Actually Adam, it sounds like you're missing the issue.
                                    >>
                                    >> If you take the last reported speed and heading and project that from
                                    >> the last reported location, as time progresses, the dead reckoned icon
                                    >> will move to where the station "could" be.
                                    >>
                                    >> The problem with what we are seeing is that Lynn is using the CURRENT
                                    >> speed and heading, and projecting a possible location using that
                                    >> information from the last reported location.
                                    >>
                                    >> Lets suggest that a position was reported, with a speed of 60 mph, and
                                    >> a heading of 90 degrees. After one minute, the dead
                                    >> reckoned position should be 1 mile east of the reported location.
                                    >>
                                    >> The way it is implemented, if I stop driving east after 30 seconds,
                                    >> the DR position would return back to the last reported location. If I
                                    >> were to turn south and drive for 1 minute at 60 mph (without sending
                                    >> an updated position report), there would be a DR object 1 mile south
                                    >> of the originally reported position.
                                    >>
                                    >> Now, if this instantaneous line were to originate from the current
                                    >> location, it would still be wrong. The line leaving my current
                                    >> location would not be a dead reckoned position, but rather a projected
                                    >> location for a future position report based on the current speed and
                                    >> course, projected into the future the amount of time since the last
                                    >> reported position.
                                    >>
                                    >> When Lynn gets it straightened out, you'll see something interesting
                                    >> happening. As Lynn said, if you continue in a straight line at a
                                    >> constant speed, you won't see the projected icon. If the road turns,
                                    >> or you change speed, then you'll see the projected (DR) icon continue
                                    >> along the last reported vector. Once the Genius settings determine
                                    >> that you've strayed too far, a new position report will be sent, and
                                    >> the DR icon will start moving away from the reported position again.
                                    >>
                                    >> James
                                    >> VE6SRV

                                  • apenadragon
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                                      I think I'm starting to get it now, I'm pretty sure the math its self would drive me batty at the moment, but I think I'm getting the concept... I'll be interested to watch it on the way home (thinking about making the YL drive home) and see what the differeces are between the DR icon, and the Red Dot.

                                      I like the DR feature, and I'm going to transmit course and speed normally, so I'll just deal with seeing the DR on my screen and say thanks for putting up with us unedumacated youngsters.

                                      Adam
                                      KC2ANT

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011
                                        "% of Genius"

                                        I hate it when the % of Genius is low. I either go home or grab more coffee!
                                      • Gary Sanders
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 1, 2011

                                          > If you slow down (still in a straight line, we can do that here in
                                          > Florida for long distances),

                                          And, since this IS Florida we're talking about, the vehicle slowing down
                                          in a straight line for a long distance would probably be a Mercury
                                          Marquis, in the center lane, with the turn signal flashing, and totally
                                          oblivious.

                                          (Sent from a fellow Florida resident, who may indeed be in the center
                                          lane himself... :) ).

                                          Gary Sanders WB0BZR