Repeater objects

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2011
    Greetings,

    While this possibly doesn't directly relate to APRSIS32, it does refer to a
    use of APRSIS32.

    For those that put up repeater objects, this is one quality reason why you
    should follow the prescribed format:

    [Forward]
    =====================================
    [nwaprssig] TH-D72: How to TUNE a frequency in the object list
    Posted by: "David Dobbins" ddobbins@...
    Mon Mar 7, 2011 3:17 pm (PST)

    Most folks know how to TUNE an OBJECT in a Kenwood TM-D710, here's how to do
    it on the handheld TH-D72:

    Here's how you TUNE a frequency received by the Kenwood TH-D72:

    1. Select LIST (button 5)
    2. Scroll down to the desired OBJECT
    3. Select the OBJECT with the right button > for OK
    4. Select the MENU button and then select OK with the right button >

    It will tune the B side to VFO and enter the frequency, offset, and tone if
    the OBJECT was formatted correctly.

    David K7GPS
    =====================================
    [/Forward]

    Personally, I have neither the D72 or D710, so I can not make use of this
    feature. I also do not know how to tune the D710 to a repeater object. But I
    fully support this and believe all repeater objects should be done so
    Kenwood owners can use it. Maybe the Yaesu can tune as well, or maybe Yaesu
    will offer the option in a future firmware release with enough pressure.

    This will be my KPC3+ setting for a local repeater when the weather warms a
    bit and the snow is passable.

    BT ;147.135NH*111111z4258.99N/07135.29Wr147.135MHz_T100_+_R20m_S.Uncan_MT
    [replace the UNDERSCORES and with spaces.

    The object name states the frequency and location [New Hampshire]. In
    addition to the geo-location, the frequency, tone and offset is there. And,
    you get an approximate range plus the common name for location. Most local
    amateurs will know this site very well. It is the one with lots of
    towers/antennas on it which has drawn our focus probably more the once.
    There are other options as well. For instance, a t100 would signify narrow
    band. It is worth the time to learn about this if you put up repeater
    objects.

    For APRSIS32, I believe the attached PNG will depict it correctly. For my
    digi, running the KPC, I only use a path of WIDE2-1. The WIDE1-1 is not
    needed since the fill-ins should already be close enough and those outside
    of the region really don't need the information. And they will get it if
    they enter the region. Whether or not you choose an IS path, doesn't really
    matter. It is probably going to make it back anyway. While the symbol could
    be anything, the antenna is nice.

    As always, I am looking for ways to improve my APRS education and
    experience. Hopefully this is presented correctly.

    Best regards,

    Fred Hillhouse Jr
    http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH