Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

is the center indicator text missing some punctuation?

Expand Messages
  • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
    See attached JPG. The screen is centered on KB3MUN. The Lat/Long numbers seem to be missing a punctuation mark. In case the attachment does not make the list,
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2011
    See attached JPG.

    The screen is centered on KB3MUN.

    The Lat/Long numbers seem to be missing a punctuation mark.

    In case the attachment does not make the list, the Lat/Long text is
    "3953.49N 07747.22W".

    But maybe this has already been discussed.

    73 de Daniel KB3MUN
    [APRIS32 on WinXP SP3 within XP-Mode VM on Win7 64-bit]
  • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    That s the APRS standard Lat/Lon presentation. ddmm.mmmX dddmm.mmmY where X is N/S and Y is E/W (note the room for 100s of degrees in E/W). I got lazy when
    Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2011
      That's the APRS standard Lat/Lon presentation. ddmm.mmmX dddmm.mmmY
      where X is N/S and Y is E/W (note the room for 100s of degrees in E/W).
      I got lazy when formatting the lat/lon for the screen and just run it
      through my APRS lat/lon formatter with a symbol and table of blank and
      blank. (The table goes between the coordinates and the symbol goes
      after the E/W).

      Short answer: WAD - Working as (currently) Designed (implemented actually)

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

      PS. After you read a few raw packets (Enables / View Logs / Packets),
      this format will become second nature.

      On 3/5/2011 8:29 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN wrote:
      > See attached JPG.
      >
      > The screen is centered on KB3MUN.
      >
      > The Lat/Long numbers seem to be missing a punctuation mark.
      >
      > In case the attachment does not make the list, the Lat/Long text is
      > "3953.49N 07747.22W".
      >
      > But maybe this has already been discussed.
      >
      > 73 de Daniel KB3MUN
      > [APRIS32 on WinXP SP3 within XP-Mode VM on Win7 64-bit]
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
    • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
      OK, sorry for the naive inquiry. I know there is a lot of APRS litature of (of varying quality) on the web. Do you have a particular favorite document or
      Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2011
        OK, sorry for the naive inquiry.

        I know there is a lot of APRS litature of (of varying quality) on the
        web. Do you have a particular favorite document or three to point me to
        so that I can 'learn' without being too much of a bother. I'm
        interested in both APRS in the large, and in particular where
        APRSISCE/32 differentiates itself from other items in the genre.

        73 de Daniel KB3MUN



        On 3/5/2011 8:38 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
        > That's the APRS standard Lat/Lon presentation. ddmm.mmmX dddmm.mmmY
        > where X is N/S and Y is E/W (note the room for 100s of degrees in E/W).
        > I got lazy when formatting the lat/lon for the screen and just run it
        > through my APRS lat/lon formatter with a symbol and table of blank and
        > blank. (The table goes between the coordinates and the symbol goes
        > after the E/W).
        >
        > Short answer: WAD - Working as (currently) Designed (implemented actually)
        >
        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
        >
        > PS. After you read a few raw packets (Enables / View Logs / Packets),
        > this format will become second nature.
        >
        > On 3/5/2011 8:29 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN wrote:
        >> See attached JPG.
        >>
        >> The screen is centered on KB3MUN.
        >>
        >> The Lat/Long numbers seem to be missing a punctuation mark.
        >>
        >> In case the attachment does not make the list, the Lat/Long text is
        >> "3953.49N 07747.22W".
        >>
        >> But maybe this has already been discussed.
        >>
        >> 73 de Daniel KB3MUN
        >> [APRIS32 on WinXP SP3 within XP-Mode VM on Win7 64-bit]
        >>
        >>
        >> ------------------------------------
        >>
        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>
        >>
        >>
        >>
        >
        >
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
      • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        aprs101.pdf - The protocol s definitive document (well, mostly) If you grok this, you re 80% there. The other 20% is MUCH harder to come by.
        Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2011
          aprs101.pdf - The protocol's definitive document (well, mostly) If you
          grok this, you're 80% there. The other 20% is MUCH harder to come by.

          http://www.aprs.org/aprs11.html - Bills itself as APRS SPEC Addendum 11,
          but I'd use the word "spec" loosely.

          http://www.aprs.org/aprs12.html - Bills itself as APRS SPEC Addendum 1.2
          Proposals, so it's not really a spec, but just a loose collection of
          more proposals, some of which are real and others are still
          pie-in-the-sky ideas.

          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html - It's an eye test,
          but you'll see where APRSISCE/32 stacks up against the "other guys".

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


          On 3/5/2011 8:54 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN wrote:
          > OK, sorry for the naive inquiry.
          >
          > I know there is a lot of APRS litature of (of varying quality) on the
          > web. Do you have a particular favorite document or three to point me to
          > so that I can 'learn' without being too much of a bother. I'm
          > interested in both APRS in the large, and in particular where
          > APRSISCE/32 differentiates itself from other items in the genre.
          >
          > 73 de Daniel KB3MUN
          >
          >
          >
          > On 3/5/2011 8:38 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
          >> That's the APRS standard Lat/Lon presentation. ddmm.mmmX dddmm.mmmY
          >> where X is N/S and Y is E/W (note the room for 100s of degrees in E/W).
          >> I got lazy when formatting the lat/lon for the screen and just run it
          >> through my APRS lat/lon formatter with a symbol and table of blank and
          >> blank. (The table goes between the coordinates and the symbol goes
          >> after the E/W).
          >>
          >> Short answer: WAD - Working as (currently) Designed (implemented actually)
          >>
          >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
          >>
          >> PS. After you read a few raw packets (Enables / View Logs / Packets),
          >> this format will become second nature.
          >>
          >> On 3/5/2011 8:29 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN wrote:
          >>> See attached JPG.
          >>>
          >>> The screen is centered on KB3MUN.
          >>>
          >>> The Lat/Long numbers seem to be missing a punctuation mark.
          >>>
          >>> In case the attachment does not make the list, the Lat/Long text is
          >>> "3953.49N 07747.22W".
          >>>
          >>> But maybe this has already been discussed.
          >>>
          >>> 73 de Daniel KB3MUN
          >>> [APRIS32 on WinXP SP3 within XP-Mode VM on Win7 64-bit]
          >>>
          >>>
          >>> ------------------------------------
          >>>
          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>>
          >>>
          >>>
          >>>
          >>
          >>
          >> ------------------------------------
          >>
          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • James Ewen
          On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN ... Been discussed many times... The format used is exactly as seen in the raw packets. Bob Bruninga
          Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2011
            On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
            <kb3mun@...> wrote:

            > The Lat/Long numbers seem to be missing a punctuation mark.
            >
            > In case the attachment does not make the list, the Lat/Long text is
            > "3953.49N 07747.22W".
            >
            > But maybe this has already been discussed.

            Been discussed many times...

            The format used is exactly as seen in the raw packets. Bob Bruninga
            just mashed the degrees and minutes together for the packet format.

            39 degrees, 53.49 minutes north, 77 degrees, 47.22 minutes west.

            If you're going to play APRS, get used to seeing it this way.

            James
            VE6SRV
          • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
            Surprised nobody has gone multi-platform and written it in JAVA. I guess Android is coming, although it is still a developing platform so a bitearly for real
            Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2011
              Surprised nobody has gone multi-platform and written it in JAVA.
              I guess Android is coming, although it is still a developing platform so a bitearly for real applications.

              On 06-Mar-11 02:41, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

              > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html - It's an eye test,
              > but you'll see where APRSISCE/32 stacks up against the "other guys".
              >
              > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
              >
              >
            • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Java - Write Once, Test Everywhere, especially when it comes to mobile platforms like cellphones. KJ4HPQ started work on APRSBB (BlackBerry) in Java and was
              Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2011
                Java - Write Once, Test Everywhere, especially when it comes to mobile
                platforms like cellphones.

                KJ4HPQ started work on APRSBB (BlackBerry) in Java and was shocked to
                discover that the Java ME (Micro Edition) doesn't even do floating point
                numbers. Gave him quite a few fits for a bit. Then his life as a
                full-time student caught up with him and development has been on hold
                for a while.

                Native C code direct to Windows API = Performance, even on 200-400Mhz
                XScales.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                On 3/6/2011 9:22 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
                > Surprised nobody has gone multi-platform and written it in JAVA.
                > I guess Android is coming, although it is still a developing platform so a bitearly for real applications.
                >
                > On 06-Mar-11 02:41, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
                >
                >> http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html - It's an eye test,
                >> but you'll see where APRSISCE/32 stacks up against the "other guys".
                >>
                >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
              • Jim Alles
                Here is a web page that has a brief comparison, although a couple of years old: http://www.nwaprs.info/synopsis.htm Lynn, I would prompt them to update it, but
                Message 8 of 10 , Mar 10, 2011
                  Here is a web page that has a brief comparison, although a couple of years old:
                   
                  Lynn, I would prompt them to update it, but I don't know CE's capabilities.
                   
                  73,
                  Jim A.
                  On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                   

                  aprs101.pdf - The protocol's definitive document (well, mostly) If you
                  grok this, you're 80% there. The other 20% is MUCH harder to come by.

                  http://www.aprs.org/aprs11.html - Bills itself as APRS SPEC Addendum 11,
                  but I'd use the word "spec" loosely.

                  http://www.aprs.org/aprs12.html - Bills itself as APRS SPEC Addendum 1.2
                  Proposals, so it's not really a spec, but just a loose collection of
                  more proposals, some of which are real and others are still
                  pie-in-the-sky ideas.

                  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html - It's an eye test,
                  but you'll see where APRSISCE/32 stacks up against the "other guys".

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                  On 3/5/2011 8:54 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN wrote:
                  > OK, sorry for the naive inquiry.
                  >
                  > I know there is a lot of APRS litature of (of varying quality) on the
                  > web. Do you have a particular favorite document or three to point me to
                  > so that I can 'learn' without being too much of a bother. I'm
                  > interested in both APRS in the large, and in particular where
                  > APRSISCE/32 differentiates itself from other items in the genre.
                  >
                  > 73 de Daniel KB3MUN

                   
                  .


                • Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  See http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html The page you found doesn t actually even know about APRSISCE/32. Their APRS/CE is a completely
                  Message 9 of 10 , Mar 10, 2011
                    See http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html

                    The page you found doesn't actually even know about APRSISCE/32.  Their APRS/CE is a completely different (and very obsolete) client.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                    On 3/10/2011 9:24 AM, Jim Alles wrote:
                    Here is a web page that has a brief comparison, although a couple of years old:
                     
                    Lynn, I would prompt them to update it, but I don't know CE's capabilities.
                     
                    73,
                    Jim A.
                    On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                     

                    aprs101.pdf - The protocol's definitive document (well, mostly) If you
                    grok this, you're 80% there. The other 20% is MUCH harder to come by.

                    http://www.aprs.org/aprs11.html - Bills itself as APRS SPEC Addendum 11,
                    but I'd use the word "spec" loosely.

                    http://www.aprs.org/aprs12.html - Bills itself as APRS SPEC Addendum 1.2
                    Proposals, so it's not really a spec, but just a loose collection of
                    more proposals, some of which are real and others are still
                    pie-in-the-sky ideas.

                    http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html - It's an eye test,
                    but you'll see where APRSISCE/32 stacks up against the "other guys".

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                    On 3/5/2011 8:54 PM, D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN wrote:
                    > OK, sorry for the naive inquiry.
                    >
                    > I know there is a lot of APRS litature of (of varying quality) on the
                    > web. Do you have a particular favorite document or three to point me to
                    > so that I can 'learn' without being too much of a bother. I'm
                    > interested in both APRS in the large, and in particular where
                    > APRSISCE/32 differentiates itself from other items in the genre.
                    >
                    > 73 de Daniel KB3MUN

                     
                    .



                  • Bill V WA7NWP
                    ... There are a couple Java libraries/projects for APRS at Sourceforge... At least there were years ago. Bill
                    Message 10 of 10 , Mar 11, 2011
                      > Surprised nobody has gone multi-platform and written it in JAVA.

                      There are a couple Java libraries/projects for APRS at Sourceforge...
                      At least there were years ago.

                      Bill
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.