Re: APRS-IS client - quick questions

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2009
      Kevin Jensen wrote:
      > Lynn,
      >
      > I know you are busy. My background is electrical engineering so I am
      > very curious about the application. Yes I will read more about it in
      > the groups.yahoo page; but am at work where I do not have access. So
      > hope you do not mind a couple questions.

      If you don't mind random delays in getting answers, I certainly don't
      mind answering them! I hope you don't mind that I copied the answer to
      the group so that others might benefit.
      > 1) My cellphone will go into battery save mode after a minute. Will
      > the APRS-IS client still keep sending beacon points? When I look on
      > the APRS GOOGLE map of my activity (I am N1KCG-12) it looks like it
      > stopped after I got on the highway, after about two or three minutes.

      In my experience, when the phone turns "off" in battery save mode, the
      GPS is also turned off. My application doesn't muck at all with power
      settings, so beaconing will stop, but incoming APRS-IS updates will
      continue.
      > 2) How rapidly will my battery get drained running APRS-IS? Any data
      > on its effect on power in a typical cellphone with a GPRS circuit, and
      > data connectivity?

      The battery with GPS and APRS-IS active will drain quite quickly. I
      always plug my phone into a power adapter in the car and only turn off
      the power savings timer when I KNOW I want to continue tracking. Once
      in power saver with only a modest-radius APRS-IS feed active, it'll last
      longer, but still MUCH less than if the client itself were closed or
      APRS-IS disabled.

      The client also transmits battery level telemetry. You can see mine at:

      http://aprs.fi/telemetry/KJ4ERJ-12

      The week view has some good days in it and the month or year view shows
      just how mean I've been to my battery. I'm now running an extended
      capacity battery on my AT&T Tilt. I'm happy with the battery life (3-4
      hours with full APRS-IS and GPS, 6 hours with only APRS-IS), but I don't
      like the fact that it no longer fits in my belt clip.
      > 3) I assume that the APRS-IS client needs a GPS circuit in the
      > cellphone, and a unlimited data connection. Is that true?

      Yes, the client relies on a GPSapi-supported GPS unit and sends/receives
      lots of data so an unlimited plan is highly recommended.
      > 4) Since I am running WM6 on my cellphone, will the APRS-IS client
      > run in the background, while I use the phone for other activities?
      > Can I receive phone calls? Supposing it depends on the cellphone, but
      > that most that can run the APRS-IS client under WM6 might be able to
      > handle the multitasking.

      The application will continue to run in the background, but the ability
      to maintain a data connection while receiving calls is up to the
      cellular provider and the infrastructure around you. I've had calls go
      straight to voice-mail in some cells. I've had the data connection stop
      when the phone rang and resume when I terminated the voice call. And
      I've had the data connection continue operating while talking on the
      phone. And these were all on the SAME phone, just in different
      geographical areas.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile
    • Kevin Jensen
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2009
        Thanks Lynn - once again showing that Hams are genius material.