RE: [aprsisce] Re: Server DEV

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 16 8:12 AM
    Hi Lynn,

    "I'm not understanding everything you're trying to do"

    Hopefully, this will help.

    The picture depicts all the pieces and connections. There are two radios;
    one is dedicated to APRS, the other is the FT857D. Both software
    applications, APRSIS32 and FT857D-CAT, reside on the same PC/netbook. TCIP
    would be the best connection between the applications.

    Note: There is no reason the FT857D can't be a IC-706 or other HF/VHF/UHF
    mobile radio other than I don't have any to play with. Currently, all others
    are over the horizon, out of sight.

    There is only an RF connection to the APRS network. That was not a mistake
    or oversight. This application is only used mobile and has no internet
    connection except for occasional Wi-Fi when the vehicle is in the driveway.

    Goal:
    The FT857D-CAT software polls the FT857D for the current frequency in use. A
    packet is sent to APRSIS32, through TCIP, for transmission over RF.
    The FT857D-CAT software receives packets from APRSIS32 and looks for
    information such as; a Kenwood radio transmitting its frequency data or
    repeater objects. The FT857D-CAT can then write the data to the FT857D when
    desired.

    Note: The Kenwood radios can do this between each other right now. In fact,
    WB4APR calls on every Kenwood owner to do this. I am looking to getting in
    on this action without buying a Kenwood. Basically, I want to trolling for
    contacts on the frequency I have dialed up on my FT857D. I also use WB4APR's
    other totally awesome idea of Voice Alert when traveling.

    Since you have implemented a "server" function, I am thinking that
    FT857D-CAT can connect as a client and hopefully get everything APRSIS32
    receives.
    This thinking is the basis for my original questions.

    You posted a link of instructions which I have only started to look at.
    Will APRSIS32 respond the same way now since it can be ran as a server?

    Thanks!

    Best regards,
    Fred