Invalid Positions

  • Ron Wenig
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5 5:26 AM
      Hi,

      I am using RF only and I noticed on the map there are some stations in
      black. When I click on a station and center it the map shows it off the
      coast of Africa. The lat and long are in zeros. If I search on the
      station in aprs.fi the location is correct.

      73, Ron ny3j
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5 6:46 AM
        Check the last updated time of those stations in aprs.fi. APRSISCE/32
        remembers ALL station that it has heard in one operating session,
        regardless of whether or not a position packet has been received. There
        is no database, so positions heard before will not be carried across a
        client restart. If you wait long enough, those stations might move from
        0,0 to where they belong. Some will just stubbornly stay at 0,0 because
        they're no longer transmitting any position updates. My own KJ4ERJ-7 is
        one of those. It's a TT4 that runs the RF side of my KJ4ERJ-2 IGate.
        I've been loath to take it down to change the settings as it's been
        running so well.

        aprs.fi can lead you quite far astray if you don't look closely at the
        various timestamps that it records. Historical viewing is not always a
        good thing.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Ron Wenig wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am using RF only and I noticed on the map there are some stations in
        > black. When I click on a station and center it the map shows it off the
        > coast of Africa. The lat and long are in zeros. If I search on the
        > station in aprs.fi the location is correct.
        >
        > 73, Ron ny3j

      • Ron Wenig
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5 9:15 AM
          Thanks Lynn, that's good information. I was concerned because there
          seemed to be a lot of stations like this. At first I was getting a blue
          screen on the map until I zoomed out and realized I was looking at the
          Ocean :-)

          Great program especially the maps. I was listening to Leo Laporte the
          computer talk show guy and the show was about the open source maps. I
          wanted to play with them and now I can get them automatically through
          your program. Job well done.

          73, Ron ny3j