Success with TNC! Sort of.....

  • kb0npw
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
      I downloaded TeraTerm Pro tonight and was able to talk to my TNC just fine, which really makes it a bigger mystery as to why UI-View32 was not working. It's easy to see that it's got to be a Win7 problem. I decided to try to get the TNC working with APRSIS32. I put the TNC in KISS mode, and bingo! I was finally able to send and receive RF using the software! This is the first time I've been on APRS via RF since I got my new Win7 laptop!

      Here's the only problem. I run a digi, and that won't work in KISS mode. Here's the other problem In order to get back out of KISS mode I had to do a hard reset on the TNC. Now I have to enter in all those darn digi settings. Hopefully a method of connecting to the TNC other than KISS can be configured eventually.

      Kenny
    • shawtakeuchi
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        Lynn and Kenny -

        I got my Kantronics 9612+ in KISS mode working with APRSIS32 build "2010/03/04 08:08" this morning. Here are some observations (may be unique to my situation) that may be of value to you and the list:

        1. I believe KPC3/9612 TNCs use CTS/RTS RS232 handshaking lines if you are using a serial cable that connects these lines. I'm not aware of any TNC command that will disable this. Is it possible that APRSSI32 is initializing the serial port with RTS de-asserted thereby preventing the TNC to transmit data to PC?

        2. I'm getting inconsistent result when setting PC-TNC serial port at 19200 baud. Doing more characterizations later... (I'm late to work)

        I worked around these issues, and getting great results by using a 3-line serial cable (RX/TX/GND only) and keeping the PC-TNC comms at 9600 baud. Unconnected CTS appears to "float" to allow data flow.

        Thanks for doing great work Lynn - APRSSI32 is very impressive! Looking foward to future enhancements and new capabilities!

        -Shaw // AE6BL

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
          My interpretation of the KPC3+ v8.2 manual is if XFLOW is ON, hardware handshaking is ignored. But of course if you can't connect because it is OFF then the cable may need jumpers. A hard reset will set it back to XFLOW ON.

          Best regards,
          Fred

          I got my Kantronics 9612+ in KISS mode working with APRSIS32 build "2010/03/04 08:08" this morning. Here are some observations (may be unique to my situation) that may be of value to you and the list:

          1. I believe KPC3/9612 TNCs use CTS/RTS RS232 handshaking lines if you are using a serial cable that connects these lines. I'm not aware of any TNC command that will disable this. Is it possible that APRSSI32 is initializing the serial port with RTS de-asserted thereby preventing the TNC to transmit data to PC?

          2. I'm getting inconsistent result when setting PC-TNC serial port at 19200 baud. Doing more characterizations later... (I'm late to work)

          I worked around these issues, and getting great results by using a 3-line serial cable (RX/TX/GND only) and keeping the PC-TNC comms at 9600 baud. Unconnected CTS appears to "float" to allow data flow.

          Thanks for doing great work Lynn - APRSSI32 is very impressive! Looking foward to future enhancements and new capabilities!

          -Shaw // AE6BL

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroup s.com, "kb0npw" <kenny@...> wrote:

          > I downloaded TeraTerm Pro tonight and was able to talk to my TNC just fine, which really makes it a bigger mystery as to why UI-View32 was not working. It's easy to see that it's got to be a Win7 problem. I decided to try to get the TNC working with APRSIS32. I put the TNC in KISS mode, and bingo! I was finally able to send and receive RF using the software! This is the first time I've been on APRS via RF since I got my new Win7 laptop!
          >
          > Here's the only problem. I run a digi, and that won't work in KISS mode. Here's the other problem In order to get back out of KISS mode I had to do a hard reset on the TNC. Now I have to enter in all those darn digi settings. Hopefully a method of connecting to the TNC other than KISS can be configured eventually.
          >
          > Kenny

        • shawtakeuchi
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
            Thanks for the reply Fred!

            I am so far unable to find any statements in the Kantronics manual that XFLOW (TXFLOW/TRFLOW for transparent mode) enables/disables the hardware flow control opposite to the software settings. I am also unable to find any handshaking specific to KISS-mode (note TRFLOW/TXFLOW is there only for "transparent" mode). I am using APRSIS32 to drive 9612+ in KISS mode.

            Then I read on 9612+ manual v 8.2 page 119:

            "The TNC always uses hardware flow control, so only wire the RTS and CTS pins if your computer program is also using hardware flow control."

            So my take is that in this situation 1) end users must use 3-wire serial cable, and/or 2) the client software must assert the RTS during initialization if users are employing 5-wire serial cable.

            Unfortuantely I don't have KPC3+ - I can only test it with 9612+.

            Confusing stuff.

            Thanks,
            -Shaw AE6BL

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
              You may just wire RTS to CTS if you built your own cable. I think I have that right anyway. Basically the idea is to make the TNC think the PC is always ready. I would be surprised if this hasn't been covered somewhere in internet land. It has been a long time since...

              Another approach would be for APRSIS32 to assert CTS (output from PC) to signal to the TNC that it can handle the data.

              I hope I have that right!

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
                On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                > Another approach would be for APRSIS32 to assert CTS
                >(output from PC) to signal to the TNC that it can handle the data.
                >
                > I hope I have that right!

                Nope... RTS is Request to Send, which is a query from the DTE device.

                The DCE device asserts CTS Clear to Send announcing that it is ready
                to accept data.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Er, thanks! :)

                  I seem to remember connecting pin 20 on one end to 5 and 6 on the other end of a cable or some other similar configuration based on equipment demands.

                  Fred