NWS Improvements (Dev 2011/02/01 20:23)

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
      Ok, so you think the Aussies have too much weather going on? And you
      don't want to futz with Configure / NWS / NWS Notify Products to
      suppress the notifications (it's fixed, by the way)? Well, now you can
      enable *ALL*, but DISABLE Configure / NWS / NWS Entry Server /
      WXSVR-AU. This won't only kill the notifications like NWS Products, but
      won't even trigger the messages or area objects to even show up, unless,
      of course, you're Eavesdropping the world in which case the messages
      will still get picked up.

      And if a single alert contains multiple areas, they're now combined into
      a single object and (optionally) a single MultiTrack popup. This, in
      conjunction with Configure / NWS / Popup MultiTrack / If New and Only
      Areas can dramatically reduce the number of MultiTracks being consumed.
      Oh, and if you check Configure / NWS / Popup MultiTrack / Close on
      Expire, then the MultiTrack will close itself when the alert expires.
      If you pan the window a bit, then the auto-close is disabled, but the
      object will still go to a gray indicating Killed on expiration.

      And finally, there's a Finger option on the NWS Object's popup menu for
      those injected by AE5PL-WX (USA objects). This attempts to bring up the
      full text of the alert.

      I'd like to let this cook for a while, then release it to the general
      population if you all don't find any issues with it!

      BTW, there's active weather in the US set to expire at 01:45z. If you
      upgrade quick, you might get to see it!

      From the release notes:

      Configure / NWS / Popup MultiTrack / Close On Expire if selected will
      auto-close a MultiTrack window if the contained object is NONE
      displayed, centered, and an expired NWS object.

      If multiple areas are specified in a single NWS message, they are now
      coalesced into a single object. This works well for US objects, but the
      AUS alerts are coming from different offices, so they still don't get
      much smaller.

      Configure / NWS / NWS Entry Servers will now let you disable NWS
      recognition by entry server. It knows about AE5PL-WX (USA) and WXSVR-AU
      (Australia) as defaults but will learn others if anyone else begins
      injecting NWS objects.

      Fixed the Configure / NWS / Notify Products so that they actually show
      whether they are disabled or not. It was working before, just not
      making the symbol disappear.

      Corrected behavior if a shapefile cannot be opened. APRSISCE/32 should
      no longer exit in this situation.

      Shape/DBF files are now probed and will be disabled if they are not both
      accessible and seem to be what their name implies.

      Weather objects that came from an NWS Entry Server that has a configured
      finger server (AE5PL-WX only right now) will offer a "Finger" option on
      the popup menu. Selecting this will attempt to retrieve and display the
      full text of the NWS alert. This option is disabled if Enables /
      Internet Access is not checked.
    • Mike (WM4B)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011

        Outstanding, Lynn!

        73,

        Mike

        WM4B

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
          So now that it is fixed what is on? The icon showing or not showing?

          Tom

          "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >injecting NWS objects.
          >
          >Fixed the Configure / NWS / Notify Products so that they actually show
          >whether they are disabled or not. It was working before, just not
          >making the symbol disappear.
          >
          >Corrected behavior if a shapefile cannot be opened. APRSISCE/32 should
          >
          >no longer exit in this situation.
          >
          >Shape/DBF files are now probed and will be disabled if they are not
          >both
          >accessible and seem to be what their name implies.
          >
          >Weather objects that came from an NWS Entry Server that has a
          >configured
          >finger server (AE5PL-WX only right now) will offer a "Finger" option on
          >
          >the popup menu. Selecting this will attempt to retrieve and display
          >the
          >full text of the NWS alert. This option is disabled if Enables /

          Sent from my Android phone. Please excuse my brevity.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
            Symbol showing is enabled. I just replace the checkmark with the
            station symbol. If it is blank, it is "disabled" and won't trigger any
            of the notifications, but the area(s) will still expand. Unlike the
            Entry Servers which even prevent the area expansion and/or message queuing.