Re: [aprsisce] Shapes / ShowMe! (Dev 2011/02/01 00:44)

    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2011
      The ShowMe is only a test to see what areas the center point is involved with.  If you have CAE enabled, then any alert from that CWA will light up on your map, regardless of what ShowMe shows or where your map is centered when the alerts come in.

      In addition, if you have Configure / NWS / Popup MultiTrack enabled in some form, you'll get a MultiTrack window for EACH area that is specified in the alert.  This may change in some future revision depending on how many areas I see lighting up on any given alert.  However, to merge them into a single MultiTrack popup will require an underlying change to my approach of exploding areas within an alert....

      On 2/1/2011 9:53 AM, Tom wrote:
      Thanks again Lynn.   The CAE NWS station covers all the area I need since it covers 18 counties around me.  The counties to the immediate west as well as north and south and east are all covered by CAE.  I thought that the show me would display all areas covered by CAE since I have it marked as active.
      So when an alert is issued which in my case is almost always for multiple counties the only area that will be highlighted is the one centered on my map and will not show the other counties involved in the alert?
      On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      The ShowMe function is simply that, Show Me the areas involved at the point that is centered in the main window.  If you want to see what areas are involved to the west of you, pan the map a little in that direction to center somewhere west of you and do the ShowMe function again.  That will tell you what the areas are at that point.

      The ShowMe has nothing to do with what areas/alerts you will receive.  That is only governed by the NWS Offices (CWAs) that you have configured and active.  So, if just west of you is a different office's responsibility, you'll need to configure both offices and make them active.  In my case, I have all of the offices for Florida that are listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Weather_Service_Weather_Forecast_Offices which happens to be the same offices as shown for FL at http://www.aprs-is.net/WX/NWSCodes.aspx.

      I really don't think you'd want me to pop up all of the areas for your current screen because that could theoretically be the entire planet if you happen to execute the function when totally zoomed out.  So, I chose to make it the single point at the center of the screen to make the data set relevant and reproducible.

      On 2/1/2011 8:44 AM, Tom wrote:
      Thanks Lynn.  In this case it was centered on my QTH but the area delineated show nothing much to the west of me.  I live in northeast Columbia.  The current shape basically cuts the city of Columbia in half and nothing to the immediate west of me shows up even though it is probably less than 10 miles away and still within Columbia.  I has assumed that it would show the areas that were visible in the viewing window.  Maybe it is an anomoly because Columbia lies in two different counties and it is only showing the county where my QTH is but I would certainly like to be able to see something that is within 10 miles of my house.

      On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      Can you tell me what station you had centered or the exact coordinate where you did the ShowMe?

      This feature does NOT show all of the areas for which an office (like CAE) is responsible.  It shows only those areas that the specific center point of the main screen is contained within as defined by the bounding min/max rectangle of the shapes involved.

      So, if CAE is responsible for other smaller areas whose bounding rectangle doesn't encompass the screen center point, you won't see those areas.  The feature is intended to tell you what areas / offices your station may be covered by, not to show all of the areas a particular station is responsible for.  The latter would, I'm thinking, be WAY too many to reasonably show... But if you see a need, I can probably add such a thing...

      On 2/1/2011 6:07 AM, Tom wrote:
      I was checking out the show me feature.  I am in Columbia, South Carolina.  The NWS area is CAE.  When I use showme for some reason it is onlyshowing on the middle portion of the coverage area (maybe only Richland County).  There are18 counties covered by CAE.  I have c_15jl09.shp, mz01jn10.shp, and z_01de10.shp loaded. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

    • Mike (WM4B)
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 1, 2011
        I think I already asked them all, Jeff!

        Lynn has the patience of a saint.