screenshots - XASTIR vs APRSIS32

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
    Hi Lynn,

    Since switching over to APRSIS32 for my iGate, I left XASTIR running
    (but with the TNC port disabled; IS enabled only). I thought it might
    be interesting to compare the two; screenshots attached (hoping the
    Yahoo group allows it!)... Some observations:

    1. Tracks of stations are easier to pick out on XASTIR because of the
    color, but are easier to follow on APRSIS (skinnier lines), and they
    don't cover up so much of the underlaying map when things get close. I
    think colored skinny lines would be perfect. Just rotate colors from a
    palette of half a dozen; don't get fancy.

    2. Station tracks. XASTIR shows all of the beacon points (little dots
    in the tracks), where APRSIS has occasional boxes. Not sure what the
    boxes signify...? A difference; I'm not sure which is better.

    3. Weather stations decode more info on XASTIR (I think this is on your
    To-Do list, right? or did I miss configure something?)

    4. There are tracks on XASTIR that aren't on APRSIS (the yellow track
    running off to the right from KO6TH-12 for example) - I'm expecting that
    there's an age-out parameter that's different; however, not sure where
    to look...

    5. It's covered up in the screen shots (I tried to make the two windows
    as similar as possible), but I keep the trace Tx window open at the top
    of the screen, so I can see at a glance (without having to separately
    open a log file) anything that I've transmitted over RF. Nice and
    comforting.

    6. Font size and style. Not sure which I like better. Smaller is good
    (XASTIR), but the font is easier to read on APRSIS. I think the fonts
    on XASTIR are configurable, so this may not be a fair comparison.

    7. Nice long recent history list on the left. I only see the last
    (one) in XASTIR.

    8. The killer... Why did I switch? You can't tell this from a screen
    shot, but it takes minutes to re-draw the screen on XASTIR with this
    machine (a dual-CPU 733 mhz P-III); it is about one second with
    APRSIS32, and this is under the Linux WINE windows emulation environment
    (not known for being swift). Excellent!

    Bottom line - I'm NOT looking for a pixel equivalent for XASTIR, but
    you've come up with a VERY usable replacement!

    Greg KO6TH
  • Greg D

    Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
      On 1/31/2011 11:49 PM, Greg D wrote:
      > Since switching over to APRSIS32 for my iGate, I left XASTIR running
      > (but with the TNC port disabled; IS enabled only). I thought it might
      > be interesting to compare the two; screenshots attached (hoping the
      > Yahoo group allows it!)... Some observations:

      As you can guess, I'm not going head-to-head with other platforms, but
      am striving to deliver the APRS functions and visibility that users
      desire. That said, I appreciate the (albeit fuzzy) screen shots as an
      idea of what others might look like.

      > 1. Tracks of stations are easier to pick out on XASTIR because of the
      > color, but are easier to follow on APRSIS (skinnier lines), and they
      > don't cover up so much of the underlaying map when things get close. I
      > think colored skinny lines would be perfect. Just rotate colors from a
      > palette of half a dozen; don't get fancy.

      From the ToDo list: Multi-color tracks to tell which is whose (Adrian
      M0GLJ-12) However, I did play with colors originally and failed to find
      any that I was really happy and that didn't "disappear" into various
      lines provided by OSM. I don't expect to have a whole lot of luck
      determining a "6 entry pallet" that doesn't collide with OSM's rendering
      choices somewhere on the planet. And I really don't want to "go wide"
      both for performance and map obscuring reasons.

      > 2. Station tracks. XASTIR shows all of the beacon points (little dots
      > in the tracks), where APRSIS has occasional boxes. Not sure what the
      > boxes signify...? A difference; I'm not sure which is better.

      APRSISCE/32 also captures all received beacon points. However,...

      1) Only the most recent 32 unique points of a track are drawn for
      non-followed (centered) stations

      2) Only the most recent 32 points are boxed even for the followed
      (centered) station

      3) Boxes are dropped if they intersect another box (too close)

      However, ALL "invalid" (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)
      boxes are drawn for the followed station and the most recent 32 points
      of other stations.

      Maybe I need to make the 32 a user-tunable parameter, or 2, one for my
      track and a different one for length of others' tracks. Someday I'm
      going to take the time to revisit most of my hard-coded choice and "let
      the user beware"....

      > 3. Weather stations decode more info on XASTIR (I think this is on your
      > To-Do list, right? or did I miss configure something?)

      I believe I have all known weather points being parsed. Have you looked
      at the station information popup? If you have specific parameters from
      specific station(s) that I'm not displaying there, please let me know.
      I do restrict what fields you can put on a station label, however.

      > 4. There are tracks on XASTIR that aren't on APRSIS (the yellow track
      > running off to the right from KO6TH-12 for example) - I'm expecting that
      > there's an age-out parameter that's different; however, not sure where
      > to look...

      According to http://aprs.fi/?call=KO6TH-12, KO6TH-12 is a digipeater
      that doesn't move. Any idea where xastir got the idea that it did?

      > 5. It's covered up in the screen shots (I tried to make the two windows
      > as similar as possible), but I keep the trace Tx window open at the top
      > of the screen, so I can see at a glance (without having to separately
      > open a log file) anything that I've transmitted over RF. Nice and
      > comforting.

      Agreed. For my IGate, I keep Transmit, Digi, IGate, and <RfPortName>
      Always enabled, if not visible. If they're enabled, all of their trace
      contents go to APRSISCE/32*.LOG even if they're not visible.

      > 6. Font size and style. Not sure which I like better. Smaller is good
      > (XASTIR), but the font is easier to read on APRSIS. I think the fonts
      > on XASTIR are configurable, so this may not be a fair comparison.

      I use the Windows default font for the station labels. uSoft has done a
      substantial amount of usability studies on their choice, and by doing
      that, I also adhere to their accessibility configurations to a point.

      > 7. Nice long recent history list on the left. I only see the last
      > (one) in XASTIR.

      That actually depends on your Configure / Screen / Orientation setting,
      but I like the longer scrolling list on the left as well, except on my
      APRSISCE phone instance where I keep the little one in the upper right
      corner.

      > 8. The killer... Why did I switch? You can't tell this from a screen
      > shot, but it takes minutes to re-draw the screen on XASTIR with this
      > machine (a dual-CPU 733 mhz P-III); it is about one second with
      > APRSIS32, and this is under the Linux WINE windows emulation environment
      > (not known for being swift). Excellent!

      My goal has been and will remain performance. I expect to keep this app
      working on a 400Mhz XScale, so I have to pay attention to details like
      not drawing the little squares on a track or making lines that are too
      thick on the screen. All of those "features" suck down proportionate
      amounts of CPU, IMHO unnecessarily.

      The phone platform can't eat a full stream by any stretch, but I run
      mine routinely with 180 miles of range (1800) so that the entire state
      of Florida is available with a simple zoom out. This also means that
      when I Center somewhere else on the planet, I start receiving 180 miles
      out from TWO points, cranking up the station count, but still retaining
      the responsiveness.

      > Bottom line - I'm NOT looking for a pixel equivalent for XASTIR, but
      > you've come up with a VERY usable replacement!

      Thanks again for the comparison and the compliment. If you come across
      features (like the weather stuff) and/or usability enhancements that I
      don't do, I'm all ears (er eyes). But you'll find I turn a deaf ear
      (blind eye?) to requests that simply ask for "make X look/work like it
      does on Y). I need to know function and data and what you want to do
      with it, not to be just another implementation of Y.

      > Greg KO6TH
    • Greg D
      Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
        Hi Lynn,

        More, below...

        Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        On 1/31/2011 11:49 PM, Greg D wrote:
        > Since switching over to APRSIS32 for my iGate, I left XASTIR running
        > (but with the TNC port disabled; IS enabled only). I thought it might
        > be interesting to compare the two; screenshots attached (hoping the
        > Yahoo group allows it!)... Some observations:

        As you can guess, I'm not going head-to-head with other platforms, but
        am striving to deliver the APRS functions and visibility that users
        desire. That said, I appreciate the (albeit fuzzy) screen shots as an
        idea of what others might look like.

        > 1. Tracks of stations are easier to pick out on XASTIR because of the
        > color, but are easier to follow on APRSIS (skinnier lines), and they
        > don't cover up so much of the underlaying map when things get close. I
        > think colored skinny lines would be perfect. Just rotate colors from a
        > palette of half a dozen; don't get fancy.

        From the ToDo list: Multi-color tracks to tell which is whose (Adrian
        M0GLJ-12) However, I did play with colors originally and failed to find
        any that I was really happy and that didn't "disappear" into various
        lines provided by OSM. I don't expect to have a whole lot of luck
        determining a "6 entry pallet" that doesn't collide with OSM's rendering
        choices somewhere on the planet. And I really don't want to "go wide"
        both for performance and map obscuring reasons.

        Good points, and I see the problem.  Given the choice between wide/slow/visible, and skinny/fast/sometimes-confusing, I think I'd side with the skinny lines as you have them.  I wonder if colored lines at full saturation over a somewhat transparent map would give you enough contrast to do a base set of bold colors and get away with it?

        > 2. Station tracks. XASTIR shows all of the beacon points (little dots
        > in the tracks), where APRSIS has occasional boxes. Not sure what the
        > boxes signify...? A difference; I'm not sure which is better.

        APRSISCE/32 also captures all received beacon points. However,...

        1) Only the most recent 32 unique points of a track are drawn for
        non-followed (centered) stations

        2) Only the most recent 32 points are boxed even for the followed
        (centered) station

        3) Boxes are dropped if they intersect another box (too close)

        However, ALL "invalid" (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)
        boxes are drawn for the followed station and the most recent 32 points
        of other stations.

        Maybe I need to make the 32 a user-tunable parameter, or 2, one for my
        track and a different one for length of others' tracks. Someday I'm
        going to take the time to revisit most of my hard-coded choice and "let
        the user beware"....

        I'd go with a default of what you have now, but let the user configure it.  On even this slow(er) machine, I still have significant headroom before getting to where I was before...

        > 3. Weather stations decode more info on XASTIR (I think this is on your
        > To-Do list, right? or did I miss configure something?)

        I believe I have all known weather points being parsed. Have you looked
        at the station information popup? If you have specific parameters from
        specific station(s) that I'm not displaying there, please let me know.
        I do restrict what fields you can put on a station label, however.

        XASTIR also displays the humidity and wind gust values.  Ah, I see that they are displayed if you click on the guy, so that's probably good enough.  Temp and wind speed are clearly the most important values to actively display, and the tradeoff is in screen space.  Yeah, leave that one alone.

        > 4. There are tracks on XASTIR that aren't on APRSIS (the yellow track
        > running off to the right from KO6TH-12 for example) - I'm expecting that
        > there's an age-out parameter that's different; however, not sure where
        > to look...

        According to http://aprs.fi/?call=KO6TH-12, KO6TH-12 is a digipeater
        that doesn't move. Any idea where xastir got the idea that it did?

        Ok sorry, a little clarification...  KO6TH-12 is ME, and my house better not be moving (even though this is California)!  But, I'm reasonably close to Highway 49, and that yellow track is a guy (W6AI-9) who lives up in Grass Valley (top middle) and took a trip (driving past ME) out to Forresthill (to the right).  His track is still there on XASTIR, and now totally gone from APRSIS32.  As I've been working on this tonight, I see several other lines are shortening before my eyes...  Where is that age-out timer for the display?  I'd love to make it a bit longer...  I think have XASTIR set to time stations out after 1 day.

        > 5. It's covered up in the screen shots (I tried to make the two windows
        > as similar as possible), but I keep the trace Tx window open at the top
        > of the screen, so I can see at a glance (without having to separately
        > open a log file) anything that I've transmitted over RF. Nice and
        > comforting.

        Agreed. For my IGate, I keep Transmit, Digi, IGate, and <RfPortName>
        Always enabled, if not visible. If they're enabled, all of their trace
        contents go to APRSISCE/32*.LOG even if they're not visible.

        I would have more open too, but with a 1024x768 (x16!) display, that's all the real estate I can spare!

        > 6. Font size and style. Not sure which I like better. Smaller is good
        > (XASTIR), but the font is easier to read on APRSIS. I think the fonts
        > on XASTIR are configurable, so this may not be a fair comparison.

        I use the Windows default font for the station labels. uSoft has done a
        substantial amount of usability studies on their choice, and by doing
        that, I also adhere to their accessibility configurations to a point.

        > 7. Nice long recent history list on the left. I only see the last
        > (one) in XASTIR.

        That actually depends on your Configure / Screen / Orientation setting,
        but I like the longer scrolling list on the left as well, except on my
        APRSISCE phone instance where I keep the little one in the upper right
        corner.

        Yes, and even the shorter list (upper left only) is more useful than what XASTIR provides.

        One other note on the left-edge scroll...  When a new station comes on the screen, I can click on it.  The pop-up information window is located right on top of the last packet message, so I have to wait until it rolls up a little before taking a look.  I'm not sure what you can do about it, if anything, but it can be a little annoying.  Same if you click on a screen-resident station that happens to be down in the lower left.  Sometimes you have to pan the screen a little, to see both.  Not a biggie.  Maybe include the last packet inside the pop-up, instead of on the main screen?

        > 8. The killer... Why did I switch? You can't tell this from a screen
        > shot, but it takes minutes to re-draw the screen on XASTIR with this
        > machine (a dual-CPU 733 mhz P-III); it is about one second with
        > APRSIS32, and this is under the Linux WINE windows emulation environment
        > (not known for being swift). Excellent!

        My goal has been and will remain performance. I expect to keep this app
        working on a 400Mhz XScale, so I have to pay attention to details like
        not drawing the little squares on a track or making lines that are too
        thick on the screen. All of those "features" suck down proportionate
        amounts of CPU, IMHO unnecessarily.

        The phone platform can't eat a full stream by any stretch, but I run
        mine routinely with 180 miles of range (1800) so that the entire state
        of Florida is available with a simple zoom out. This also means that
        when I Center somewhere else on the planet, I start receiving 180 miles
        out from TWO points, cranking up the station count, but still retaining
        the responsiveness.

        > Bottom line - I'm NOT looking for a pixel equivalent for XASTIR, but
        > you've come up with a VERY usable replacement!

        Thanks again for the comparison and the compliment. If you come across
        features (like the weather stuff) and/or usability enhancements that I
        don't do, I'm all ears (er eyes). But you'll find I turn a deaf ear
        (blind eye?) to requests that simply ask for "make X look/work like it
        does on Y). I need to know function and data and what you want to do
        with it, not to be just another implementation of Y.

        I agree!  And, thanks again.

        Greg.

        Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
          On 2/1/2011 1:20 AM, Greg D wrote:

          Good points, and I see the problem.  Given the choice between wide/slow/visible, and skinny/fast/sometimes-confusing, I think I'd side with the skinny lines as you have them.  I wonder if colored lines at full saturation over a somewhat transparent map would give you enough contrast to do a base set of bold colors and get away with it?

          When that one gets my attention, I'll play with it.  It might end up not being addressed until I add a color picker for some other function and then I'll just let the user figure out what to use and I'll just default the entire rotation to black!

          Ok sorry, a little clarification...  KO6TH-12 is ME, and my house better not be moving (even though this is California)!  But, I'm reasonably close to Highway 49, and that yellow track is a guy (W6AI-9) who lives up in Grass Valley (top middle) and took a trip (driving past ME) out to Forresthill (to the right).  His track is still there on XASTIR, and now totally gone from APRSIS32.  As I've been working on this tonight, I see several other lines are shortening before my eyes...  Where is that age-out timer for the display?  I'd love to make it a bit longer...  I think have XASTIR set to time stations out after 1 day.

          Double-click the vertical bar just to the right of the map.  It will show "Track Age NN (M) Hours".  The default, I believe, is 24 and 0.  The () is for "buddies" which are governed by a different set of numbers.  However, the "Age MM to XX (B) Minutes" might be what's biting you.   That's the station age limit, although that won't cause tracks to shorten but to completely disappear when the station goes inactive for too long.  Between MM and XX minutes, the station will fade out.

          Tracks are also only drawn for stations that are visible on the screen or may be located just off the screen.  If you pan the screen you can see this behavior.  Again, for performance reasons and the ability to run a full feed's worth of stations, I only draw tracks for those that are visible.  I guess I could use a min/max rectangle of lat/lons to bring in potentially more tracks, but if you can't see the station with a short pan, what's the sense in seeing the track?

          The most recently "followed" station's track will ALWAYS be visible, even if you pan around.  This is very handy for finding out where a long-traveling station (especially balloons and airplanes) actually came from while still being zoomed in enough to see the details.  Just right click on the station (a quick way to center on it) and then pan around to your heart's content.   The track will remain visible.

          Oh, and you'll also probably notice that track point labels try to never obscure each other.  I label from the most recent end of the track and backwards, but suppress any label that will overlap a previously drawn label.  I still have work to do on getting the labels to move above/below/left/right of the track line itself...

          I would have more open too, but with a 1024x768 (x16!) display, that's all the real estate I can spare!

          That's why I specified the different between enabled and open as a window.  I have those (IGate, Digi, Transmit, <RfPortName>) all set to ALWAYS be enabled (have them enabled, close the client and click Always).  I rarely actually have them open on the screen as I rarely see my server's screen and it is also only 1280x1024.

          One other note on the left-edge scroll...  When a new station comes on the screen, I can click on it.  The pop-up information window is located right on top of the last packet message, so I have to wait until it rolls up a little before taking a look.  I'm not sure what you can do about it, if anything, but it can be a little annoying.  Same if you click on a screen-resident station that happens to be down in the lower left.  Sometimes you have to pan the screen a little, to see both.  Not a biggie.  Maybe include the last packet inside the pop-up, instead of on the main screen?

          I've tried to relocate the scrolling station's popup menu to avoid the packet display at the bottom of the map, but Windows only lets me specify a single rectangle as an exclusion zone and I really want the menu to be close to where it is now.

          However, if you go ahead and bring up the station information popup (select the top menu option), the most recent packet remains on the screen and you can drag the dialog wherever you want to see it!  This is true both from the scrolling log or a station near the bottom of your map display.  Just take the popup dialog open and move it out of the way.

          Now, even if this WAS written down in the documentation (and it deserves a Wiki page), how many people would read it in that detail to know how it even applies?  That is, until they actually try to read a packet!

          Lynn (D) -KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

          PS.  You're looking for the following XML elements:

          <Stations.Tracks.Hours>24</Stations.Tracks.Hours>
          <Stations.Tracks.Buddy.Hours>0</Stations.Tracks.Buddy.Hours>
          <Stations.MinAge>10</Stations.MinAge>
          <Stations.MaxAge>1440</Stations.MaxAge>
          <Stations.MaxAge.Buddy>0</Stations.MaxAge.Buddy>

        • Kurt Savegnago
          Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
            I like both programs though APRSIS32 can cache the maptiles and one can set it up so the map cache doesn't flush. Good for when one is not going to have a ready internet access.

            Xastir cannot use maps from cache. ie. running the program without internet access is not possible UNLESS one has maps specically installed. Easiest I found were the TAMU 2006 mapfiles. Unzip them and one is done.

            Run APRSIS32 and get the maptiles at various resolutions and one can have them stored for use when no internet access is available.

            Kurt KC9LDH
          • Greg D

              Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
                Regarding the disappearing lines, I've set all the ageing timers to 24hrs (or the minute equivalent) yesterday, and now I've got a nice screen full of lines to untangle.  Seems to be working as expected.  The other part of the puzzle was indeed not having that station on the screen.

                So I guess the only thing I'm going to miss (as in "not see", as opposed to "be mournful about") is when a station passes through the area from somewhere else to somewhere else.  (Being near a major interstate, that happens a lot...)  There will be no track displayed after he leaves - no clue he was ever there - and the only way to turn on that track is to zoom way out to see if something suddenly appears.  Probably not a big loss, and the gain is a much less cluttered screen on my Phone.  That wins.

                Thanks for helping me understand how this works,

                Greg  KO6TH