SSn-N Values

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2010
      James,

      Very well stated and it matches my understanding of the paradigm as
      well. Rest easy, the reason I'm looking for such a list has nothing to
      do with APRSISCE/32!

      As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also tinker around with analyzing
      the APRS infrastructure by watching packets from all over North America
      and trying to make sense out of the paths. Your standard of putting the
      aliases into the beacon status text is really good for humans looking
      for what is supported in a given area. However, software doesn't have
      the reading ability of a 2 year old let alone the ability to interpret
      the various ways operators code such information for humans.

      Consider a digiS that uses tactical callsigns of CNABAR, HARIN, LEWIS,
      PEQUOP, and VIC. Suppose further that someone decides to use an SSn-N
      alias of PIPEn-N (anywhere from 1-1 through 7-7 as in your example).
      And to complicate matters, someone half-way around the world decides to
      call their special event stations PIPE1, PIPE2, ..., PIPE7, PIPE8, and
      PIPE9 (maybe they're a pipe-rolling event). Consider the paths of
      packets that have gone through the various digis and gotten marked used,
      especially the SSn-N aliases that are used up.

      How can you tell the difference between
      .....>.....,CNABAR,HARIN,PIPE2*.... and
      ....>.....,PIPE2*,WIDE2-1..... especially when PIPE2 IDs itself as
      PIPE2>APXXXX:

      Did the first packet really go through PIPE2 the station or is there
      really a PIPEn-N running around?

      My analysis software had this trouble even with WIDE1 and WIDE2 when
      people mis-configure their stations and accidentally make that their
      MyCall. I finally decided that WIDEn-N is well known and coded around
      it. I am now trying to determine if the SSn-N aliass have a "well
      known" list somewhere or whether they're only local word-of-mouth
      information. Apparently, it's more the latter (except that it's
      word-of-digi-comment).

      Anyway, I'll let the list get back onto APRSISCE/32 topics now that I've
      chased this rabbit into the briar patch...

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE/32 and APRS Infrastructure Visualizer

      PS. I finally decided that I'll just ignore "impossibly long" digi
      paths and let the rest of the routes land where they fall.

      PPS. To see some of the graphs of which I speak, go to

      http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct24 or http://tinyurl.com/APRSAct00