APRSISCE/32 No FIX

  • Broncus
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Lynn,

      Down in the lower right corner I see a "NO FIX" label. I suspect I know what it means but I don't think I should be seeing it.

      Any hints?

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
        Broncus wrote:
        > Hi Lynn,
        >
        > Down in the lower right corner I see a "NO FIX" label. I suspect I know what it means but I don't think I should be seeing it.
        >
        > Any hints?

        It means that you have GPS enabled and aren't getting a fix. If you're
        on Win32 and have configured an NMEA GPS, it may mean that it isn't even
        connected. Are you seeing Satellites in the bottom bars (if you have
        them enabled) or does it also say "N/A"? I don't reliably re-connected
        with Bluetooth GPS, so you might have to toggle the GPS Enable off and
        back on.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
          Interesting! I have NO FIX but...
          I have 8 satellites.
          Map is moving.
          The station beacons.
          NMEA data (RMC, GGA, GLL) is on COM6 (PC Card serial port).

          Thanks!
          Fred

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
            Very interesting. Can you turn on Enables / Debug Logging and let it
            run for a while. After that, close the client and send me a copy of the
            APRSIS32.LOG file. There's something apparently coming from your GPS
            that I'm not interpreting correctly. Remember to turn off the Enables /
            Debug Logging after the restart or the .LOG files will grow rather large.

            Oh, and do you have TWO bars of satellites at the bottom? The bottom
            one is satellites in view and the one above it (usually shorter) is
            satellites in use. The count of satellites on each line is on the right
            edge of the respective bar.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            > Interesting! I have NO FIX but...
            > I have 8 satellites.
            > Map is moving.
            > The station beacons.
            > NMEA data (RMC, GGA, GLL) is on COM6 (PC Card serial port).
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Fred

          • m6xsd
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
              Hi Lynn,

              This reminds me of something that happened with my Bluetooth GPS when connected to my M3100. I 'lost fix' on the GPS and then shortly afterwards when some of the bottom row started turning green none were showingontheupper line but the figures on the right were showing correctly i.e something like 4/8 when 4 of the bottom row were green and still no Fix even though 4 green satellites normally give a fix.

              This was on acouple of versions ago I think, the firstone with Bluetooth GPS support.

              Does this make sense? and is this to be expected?.

              73,
              Colin.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                Hi Lynn,

                There are two bars at the bottom. Both bars are the same length. I am not using automatic for the view. I have a large station list down the left side.
                The upper bar says 8 Sat in use, the lower says N/A.

                Attached is the recent log file.

                Thanks!

                Best regards,
                Fred

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Hi Lynn,

                  I just look at APRS.FI for N7FMH-12. I pasted in what I found for the trip back from lunch. You can see how short the trip is online. There seems to be a lot of duplicates. It looks like it beaconed almost every 10 seconds. I did notice I still telemetry enabled so I will have to disable that. Out of curiosity, what telemetry can be sent?

                  Thanks!

                  Fred

                  Just powered up at sandwich shop:
                  2010-03-02 12:52:49 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175246h4229.38N/07116.29W=024/000/A=000151APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:53:00 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175257h4229.38N/07116.29W=354/000/A=000153APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:53:14 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175311h4229.38N/07116.29W=215/000/A=000160APRS Armada

                  Travelling:
                  2010-03-02 12:53:38 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175334h4229.36N/07116.29W=086/000/A=000153APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:54:54 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175451h4229.16N/071/A=000142APRS Armada [Invalid uncompressed location]

                  Back at work:
                  2010-03-02 12:55:27 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175524h4229.12N/07116.31W=163/003/A=000139APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:55:48 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175545h4229.12N/07116.31W=286/000/A=000156APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:56:08 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175605h4229.12N/07116.31W=216/000/A=000170APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:56:18 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175615h4229.12N/07116.31W=272/000/A=000171APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:56:48 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175645h4229.12N/07116.31W=164/000/A=000194APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:56:58 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175655h4229.12N/07116.31W=134/000/A=000198APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:57:07 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=1,DIR_CNT=0,RF_CNT=2
                  2010-03-02 12:57:08 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175705h4229.12N/07116.31W=181/000/A=000206APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:57:18 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@175715h4229.12N/07116.31W=241/000/A=000214APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 12:59:45 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:T#002,255,48,48,0,0,10100000
                  2010-03-02 13:00:07 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WB2OSZ-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1JMC:@180003h4229.12N/07116.31W=274/000/A=000170 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:00:26 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180023h4229.12N/07116.31W=187/000/A=000191 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:00:58 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180055h4229.12N/07116.31W=086/000/A=000185 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:01:28 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180125h4229.12N/07116.31W=238/000/A=000160 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:03:59 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:T#002,255,48,48,0,0,10100000 [Duplicate telemetry sequence]
                  2010-03-02 13:04:09 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180406h4229.12N/07116.31W=015/000/A=000115 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:04:20 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180417h4229.12N/07116.31W=194/000/A=000122 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:04:30 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180427h4229.12N/07116.31W=232/000/A=000229 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:04:40 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180437h4229.12N/07116.31W=034/000/A=000171 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:04:51 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WB2OSZ-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180447h4229.12N/07116.31W=219/000/A=000mada
                  2010-03-02 13:05:10 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180507h4229.12N/07116.31W=031/000/A=000131 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:05:20 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180517h4229.12N/07116.31W=217/000/A=000142 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:05:40 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180537h4229.12N/07116.31W=086/000/A=000237 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:05:50 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180547h4229.12N/07116.31W=210/000/A=000241 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:06:00 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180557h4229.12N/07116.31W=265/000/A=000248 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:06:10 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180607h4229.12N/07116.31W=164/000/A=000249 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:06:20 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180617h4229.12N/07116.31W=210/000/A=000093 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:06:40 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180637h4229.12N/0712 APRS Armada [Invalid uncompressed location]
                  2010-03-02 13:06:52 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180649h4229.12N/07116.31W=012/000/A=000124 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:07:12 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180709h4229.12N/07116.31W=240/000/A=000138 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:07:32 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180729h4229.12N/07116.31W=004/000/A=000149 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:07:52 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180749h4229.12N/07116.31W=177/000/A=000141 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:08:14 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180811h4229.12N/07116.31W=143/000/A=000138 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:08:25 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180822h4229.12N/07116.31W=009/000/A=000135 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:08:36 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WB2OSZ-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180832h4229.12N/07116.31W=182/000/A=000139 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:08:45 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:@180842h4229.12N/07116.31W=336/000/A=000151 APRS Armada
                  2010-03-02 13:08:56 EST: N7FMH-12>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,W1XM:<IGATE,CLOSED
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Your log file shows that the GPS is not sending any $GPGSV sentences
                    which provide visibility to Satellites in View. That's what draws the
                    bottom bar. I haven't studied the other sentences enough to see why the
                    Fix is coming out No Fix though. That'll have to wait until after work
                    tonight.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Hi Lynn,

                      That would be the GTRANS. it only sends RMC, GGA and GLL.

                      Here is a quick breakdown of the three sentence provided by the GTRANS and the fields relating to a satellite fix.

                      gpRMC:
                      Field 2, Status, V = Navigation receiver warning (it is only been V or A, A when valid).

                      gpGGA:
                      Field 6, GPS Quality Indicator, 0 - fix not available, 1 - GPS fix, 2 - Differential GPS fix.
                      Field 7, Number of satellites in view, 00 - 12.

                      gpGLL:
                      Field 6, Status A - Data Valid, V - Data Invalid.

                      In case you are wondering why I put the GTRANS in the T2, it is because I didn't think I needed a second GPS in the vehicle. I may have to run a real GPS connected directly just to see how things look. Hmm, easier said than done.

                      Thanks!

                      Best regards,
                      Fred