Anyone using a TNC and have it working?

  • m1arf
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi all,

      I have just tried to setup a Kamtonics KPC3 TNC on my laptop.
      Set Comm port up in Kiss configuration and enabled it (Kiss that is).
      TNC does not appear to be talking to APRSIS32, have run Ui-Veiw with same TNC and Comm port all OK. Have run Hyperterminal with same TNC and Comm port all OK.
      I have also tried to run the TNC in Text mode but that does not work either.
      Has anybody any ideas?

      Thanks in advance,

      Derek M1ARF.
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
        Derek,

        Can you Enable Debug Logging and send me a copy of the APRSIS32.LOG and
        APRSIS32.XML at KJ4ERJ@...? The sequence is:

        1) Turn on Enables / Debug Logging
        2) Close the client
        3) Restart the client
        4) Wait for a bit during which time stations will show up and the KISS
        thread should connect
        5) Close the client
        6) Grab a copy of APRSIS32.LOG and *.XML from the default directory and
        e-mail it to me.

        Repeat the same thing with the TNC in TEXT mode (or KISS if the first
        one was with TEXT) and APRSIS32 configured appropriately.

        Hopefully there'll be something in the .LOG file that will help me
        figure out what's going on. I've got a ToDo item to make debugging
        these connections easier, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        m1arf wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have just tried to setup a Kamtonics KPC3 TNC on my laptop.
        > Set Comm port up in Kiss configuration and enabled it (Kiss that is).
        > TNC does not appear to be talking to APRSIS32, have run Ui-Veiw with same TNC and Comm port all OK. Have run Hyperterminal with same TNC and Comm port all OK.
        > I have also tried to run the TNC in Text mode but that does not work either.
        > Has anybody any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Derek M1ARF.

      • kb0npw
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
          Derek, I am having just the opposite problem. I have my Kantronics KPC-3 running just fine with APRSIS32 in text mode, but can't get it to work with UI-View since I upgraded to a new laptop with Win7. I never had any issues with WinXP.

          I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.

          Kenny

          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
            kb0npw wrote:
            > I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.

            Can you give me a short list of the features you miss from UI-View32?
            I'm trying to prioritze development to meet the needs/desires of most
            UI-View users, and not having used it for more than a month or two
            myself, I'm really not aware of what was useful and what wasn't.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
          • kb0npw
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
              Lynn, I liked having a stations window I could pop up. This allowed me a quick glance showing a total number of stations I was receiving so I could check band conditions. It also allowed me to see distance so I could check the furthest station. I also used the "Direct" window a lot, so I could monitor who I was receiving without benefit of a digi. If I had those capabilities back, I would be thrilled.

              I went ahead and deleted UI-View32 since it was throwing fits with Win7. I don't plan on going back. Keep up the good work with this software! It's great!

              73 to you, Kenny

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                You're going to like this one, I suspect!

                kb0npw wrote:
                > Lynn, I liked having a stations window I could pop up. This allowed me a quick glance showing a total number of stations I was receiving so I could check band conditions. It

                Double-click the vertical double-skinny bar on the right edge of the
                screen. This shows the stations in use as well as the stations heard via
                RF including Direct and Local counts broken out. The extreme right edge
                bar double-click will give you the current battery and A/C state. One down.

                > also allowed me to see distance so I could check the furthest station. I also used the

                Sorry, it doesn't show the distance in that popup, but...

                > "Direct" window a lot, so I could monitor who I was receiving without benefit of a digi.

                View / RF / All, Direct, or Local (make sure none of the other View
                options are checked). All shows all stations heard "recently" via RF.
                Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct
                shows those heard with no used path components. And with the scale
                circle, you can approximate the distance that you've been receiving the
                displayed stations via RF.

                Also, you can send a message to your RF-active client saying "?APRSD" to
                get back the list of Direct RF stations and "?APRSL" to get back a list
                of stations considered Local. These lists are the same stations that
                would be displayed by the View filters.

                > If I had those capabilities back, I would be thrilled.

                Are you thrilled? ;)

                > I went ahead and deleted UI-View32 since it was throwing fits with Win7. I don't plan on going back. Keep up the good work with this software! It's great!

                I do have plans for a station list of some sort, but I'm still trying to
                figure out how to show that much information on a small screen. I also
                run a copy of APRSIS32 with a full feed which currently has 15,410
                stations in it that have all been active in the past hour. UI-View
                couldn't even eat a full feed, and APRSIS32 can actually DISPLAY all of
                these stations if you make the screen large enough and zoom out far
                enough. The twinkle of the stations being updated is pretty neat to
                watch (if your eye is quick enough).

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                > 73 to you, Kenny
                >

                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                >
                >> kb0npw wrote:
                >>
                >>> I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.
                >>>

                >> Can you give me a short list of the features you miss from UI-View32?
                >> I'm trying to prioritze development to meet the needs/desires of most
                >> UI-View users, and not having used it for more than a month or two
                >> myself, I'm really not aware of what was useful and what wasn't.
                >>
                >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              • kb0npw
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Man, this is sweet! I feel like an idiot now. This software does so much more than I thought! Thanks Lynn for the help.

                  I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode, and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.

                  Kenny

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                    On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    > Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct
                    > shows those heard with no used path components.

                    What defines local? Within a specific number of hops? Or just anything
                    heard via RF?

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                      "Local" is within 2 used hops, regardless of the n in the WIDEn-N. I
                      considered looking at that, but is a WIDE2* 2 used hops or 1? There's
                      no way to know if it started as WIDE2-2 or WIDE2-1. So I just count the
                      used hops and call 2 the limit. Eventually that'll be configurable by
                      RF port.

                      "Recent" is heard via some RF port within the last 30 minutes. Again,
                      that'll eventually be configurable.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                      James Ewen wrote:
                      > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct
                      >> shows those heard with no used path components.
                      >>

                      > What defines local? Within a specific number of hops? Or just anything
                      > heard via RF?
                      >
                      > James
                      > VE6SRV

                    • M1ARF
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                        See below.

                        > I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not
                        > communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF
                        > side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe
                        > I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was
                        > able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how
                        > this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because
                        > I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to
                        > hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode,
                        > and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.
                        >
                        > Kenny

                        Hi Kenny,

                        I had the same problem, put the TNC into KISS mode first then connect with APRSIS32.
                        Likewise use the setup string from UI-Veiw to put the TNC into host mode then use TEXT mode in APRSIS32.

                        Good luck,

                        Derek M1ARF
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                          Looks like I need to bump up the priority of supporting the UI-View
                          command files for KISS and TEXT mode Interfaces, huh? It'll dovetail
                          nicely with the effort of generalizing the interfaces in order to
                          support multiple channels through AGW.

                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                          M1ARF wrote:
                          > See below.
                          >

                          >> I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not
                          >> communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF
                          >> side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe
                          >> I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was
                          >> able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how
                          >> this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because
                          >> I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to
                          >> hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode,
                          >> and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.
                          >>
                          >> Kenny
                          >>

                          > Hi Kenny,
                          >
                          > I had the same problem, put the TNC into KISS mode first then connect with APRSIS32.
                          > Likewise use the setup string from UI-Veiw to put the TNC into host mode then use TEXT mode in APRSIS32.
                          >
                          > Good luck,
                          >
                          > Derek M1ARF

                        • Bradley Haney
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                            When you click on tracking and tap on me. is it suppose to put a heck mark in front of me? Mine doe not put a check mark in front

                            Sent from my BlackBerry®

                            From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                            Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:08:14 -0500
                            To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                            Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Anyone using a TNC and have it working?

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 3, 2010
                              On the Tracking Menu, no (at least, not yet). If you click on Me in the
                              center of the screen, you should see the checkmark. Also, the bottom of
                              the circle should have an "S".

                              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Adding one to the ToDo list!

                              Bradley Haney wrote:

                              > When you click on tracking and tap on me. is it suppose to put a heck
                              > mark in front of me? Mine doe not put a check mark in front
                              >
                              > Sent from my BlackBerry®

                              > *From: * "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                              > *Date: *Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:08:14 -0500
                              > *To: *<aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                              > *Subject: *Re: [aprsisce] Re: Anyone using a TNC and have it working?
                              >

                              > Looks like I need to bump up the priority of supporting the UI-View
                              > command files for KISS and TEXT mode Interfaces, huh? It'll dovetail
                              > nicely with the effort of generalizing the interfaces in order to
                              > support multiple channels through AGW.
                              >
                              > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                              >
                              > M1ARF wrote:
                              > > See below.
                              > >

                              > >> I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not
                              > >> communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF
                              > >> side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe
                              > >> I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was
                              > >> able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how
                              > >> this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because
                              > >> I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to
                              > >> hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode,
                              > >> and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.
                              > >>
                              > >> Kenny
                              > >>

                              > > Hi Kenny,
                              > >
                              > > I had the same problem, put the TNC into KISS mode first then
                              > connect with APRSIS32.
                              > > Likewise use the setup string from UI-Veiw to put the TNC into host
                              > mode then use TEXT mode in APRSIS32.
                              > >
                              > > Good luck,
                              > >
                              > > Derek M1ARF

                            • Jerry Wetherholt
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 31
                                That makes sense. How do I put it in manually?

                                Jerry
                                Kf5aok
                              • Ken Borer
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 31
                                  Hi Jerry,

                                  Seems you are able to respond on your iPhone - then when you get home, you see the message again. Really don't know you have a problem - just maybe the frequency your iPhone updates and checks messages. I do not have an iPhone - just android, but suspect you can specify message check timing - how often you check for messages for each account you have setup.

                                  Ken KB6KB

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 5
                                    The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                    Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                    On 6/4/2015 8:50 PM, Jerry Wetherholt wrote:
                                    > how do i install usb gps to work in aprsisce
                                    >

                                    > jerry
                                    > kf5aok

                                  • mrfixit2003_975
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 5
                                      It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data

                                      Jerry
                                      Kf5aok

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 5
                                        Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                        baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.

                                        Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                        protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                        On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                        > It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                        >
                                        > Jerry
                                        > Kf5aok
                                        >
                                        > Sent from my iPhone
                                        >
                                        >> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                        >> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                        >>> On 6/4/2015 8:50 PM, Jerry Wetherholt wrote:
                                        >>> how do i install usb gps to work in aprsisce
                                        >>>

                                        >>> jerry
                                        >>> kf5aok
                                        >>

                                        >> ------------------------------------
                                        >>
                                        >> ------------------------------------
                                        >>

                                        >> ------------------------------------
                                        >>
                                        >> Yahoo Groups Links
                                        >>

                                        > ------------------------------------
                                        > Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...

                                        > Yahoo Groups Links

                                      • mrfixit2003_975
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 5
                                          95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                          > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                          >
                                          > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                          > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                          >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                          >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                          >>
                                          >> Jerry
                                          >> Kf5aok
                                          >>
                                          >> Sent from my iPhone
                                          >>
                                          >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          >>>
                                          >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                          >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                          >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                                          >>
                                          >> ------------------------------------
                                          >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...
                                          >> ------------------------------------
                                          >>

                                          >> ------------------------------------
                                          >>
                                          >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                          > Yahoo Groups Links

                                        • Stephen black
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 5
                                            Silly me but is it in a location that allows good signal capture by the Gps? Some of mine take  forever to start pumping out data with a cold start. Some work well in my basement some only work in the yard! Most of mine have a blinking LED to show when reception is taking place. Steve kb1chu

                                            On 6/5/2015 12:15 PM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                            95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                            > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                            > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                            >
                                            > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                            > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                            >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                            >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                            >>
                                            >> Jerry
                                            >> Kf5aok
                                            >>
                                            >> Sent from my iPhone
                                            >>
                                            >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                            >>>
                                            >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                            >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                            >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                                            >>
                                            >> ------------------------------------
                                            >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...
                                            >> ------------------------------------
                                            >>

                                            >> ------------------------------------
                                            >>
                                            >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                            > Yahoo Groups Links

                                          • mrfixit2003_975
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 5
                                              I can relate, these sometimes take several minutes to get going on xastir but I left it on overnight and still not going but sometimes it takes movement to get them going. Just wasn't sure if I was after right area.

                                              Jerry
                                              Kf5aok

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                              On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Stephen black kb1chu@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                              Silly me but is it in a location that allows good signal capture by the Gps? Some of mine take  forever to start pumping out data with a cold start. Some work well in my basement some only work in the yard! Most of mine have a blinking LED to show when reception is taking place. Steve kb1chu

                                              On 6/5/2015 12:15 PM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                              95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                              > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                              > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                              >
                                              > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                              > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                              >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                              >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                              >>
                                              >> Jerry
                                              >> Kf5aok
                                              >>
                                              >> Sent from my iPhone
                                              >>
                                              >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                              >>>
                                              >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                              >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                              >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                                              >>
                                              >> ------------------------------------
                                              >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...
                                              >> ------------------------------------
                                              >>

                                              >> ------------------------------------
                                              >>
                                              >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                              > Yahoo Groups Links

                                            • Rob Giuliano
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 5
                                                Your not trying to "share" the NMEA data between both Xastir and APRSIS32?

                                                To do that you will needs a virtual-port sharing utility.  I'd recommend getting it working without, then adding - if that is the plan.

                                                Robert Giuliano
                                                KB8RCO

                                                I can relate, these sometimes take several minutes to get going on xastir but I left it on overnight and still not going but sometimes it takes movement to get them going. Just wasn't sure if I was after right area.

                                                Jerry
                                                Kf5aok

                                                Sent from my iPhone

                                                On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Stephen black kb1chu@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                Silly me but is it in a location that allows good signal capture by the Gps? Some of mine take  forever to start pumping out data with a cold start. Some work well in my basement some only work in the yard! Most of mine have a blinking LED to show when reception is taking place. Steve kb1chu

                                                On 6/5/2015 12:15 PM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                                95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                                Sent from my iPhone

                                                > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                                > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                                >
                                                > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                                > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                                >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                                >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                                >>
                                                >> Jerry
                                                >> Kf5aok
                                                >>
                                                >> Sent from my iPhone
                                                >>
                                                >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                >>>
                                                >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                                >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                                >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                                                >>
                                                >> ------------------------------------
                                                >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...
                                                >> ------------------------------------
                                                >>

                                                >> ------------------------------------
                                                >>
                                                >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                                > Yahoo Groups Links

                                              • mrfixit2003_975
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 5
                                                  No not sharing. 2 different machines and Gps units

                                                  Jerry
                                                  Kf5aok

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:34 AM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                  Your not trying to "share" the NMEA data between both Xastir and APRSIS32?

                                                  To do that you will needs a virtual-port sharing utility.  I'd recommend getting it working without, then adding - if that is the plan.

                                                  Robert Giuliano
                                                  KB8RCO

                                                  I can relate, these sometimes take several minutes to get going on xastir but I left it on overnight and still not going but sometimes it takes movement to get them going. Just wasn't sure if I was after right area.

                                                  Jerry
                                                  Kf5aok

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Stephen black kb1chu@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                  Silly me but is it in a location that allows good signal capture by the Gps? Some of mine take  forever to start pumping out data with a cold start. Some work well in my basement some only work in the yard! Most of mine have a blinking LED to show when reception is taking place. Steve kb1chu

                                                  On 6/5/2015 12:15 PM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                                  95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                                  > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                                  >
                                                  > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                                  > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                                  >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                                  >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Jerry
                                                  >> Kf5aok
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Sent from my iPhone
                                                  >>
                                                  >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                  >>>
                                                  >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                                  >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                                  >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                                                  >>
                                                  >> ------------------------------------
                                                  >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...
                                                  >> ------------------------------------
                                                  >>

                                                  >> ------------------------------------
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                                  > Yahoo Groups Links

                                                • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 5

                                                     Down through the options in the GPS and verify it has everything set correctly.

                                                    I will occasionally hook my GPS up and need the GARMIN mode and then forget to set it back to NMEA. While in the menus, it might mention the baud rate.

                                                    Best regards,

                                                    Fred N7FMH

                                                    I can relate, these sometimes take several minutes to get going on xastir but I left it on overnight and still not going but sometimes it takes movement to get them going. Just wasn't sure if I was after right area.

                                                    Jerry

                                                    Kf5aok

                                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                                    On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Stephen black kb1chu@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                    Silly me but is it in a location that allows good signal capture by the Gps? Some of mine take  forever to start pumping out data with a cold start. Some work well in my basement some only work in the yard! Most of mine have a blinking LED to show when reception is taking place. Steve kb1chu

                                                    On 6/5/2015 12:15 PM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                                    95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                                    > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                                    > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                                    >
                                                    > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                                    > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                                    >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                                    >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Jerry
                                                    >> Kf5aok
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Sent from my iPhone
                                                    >>
                                                    >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                    >>>
                                                    >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                                    >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                                    >>> Yahoo Groups Links
                                                    >>
                                                    >> ------------------------------------
                                                    >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...
                                                    >> ------------------------------------
                                                    >>

                                                    >> ------------------------------------
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                                    > Yahoo Groups Links

                                                  • mrfixit2003_975
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 5
                                                      It only has one mode. It's a (for lack of better description) hockey puck design.

                                                      Jerry
                                                      Kf5aok

                                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                                      On Jun 5, 2015, at 12:26 PM, 'Fred Hillhouse Jr' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                       Down through the options in the GPS and verify it has everything set correctly.

                                                      I will occasionally hook my GPS up and need the GARMIN mode and then forget to set it back to NMEA. While in the menus, it might mention the baud rate.

                                                      Best regards,

                                                      Fred N7FMH

                                                      I can relate, these sometimes take several minutes to get going on xastir but I left it on overnight and still not going but sometimes it takes movement to get them going. Just wasn't sure if I was after right area.

                                                      Jerry

                                                      Kf5aok

                                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                                      On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Stephen black kb1chu@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                      Silly me but is it in a location that allows good signal capture by the Gps? Some of mine take  forever to start pumping out data with a cold start. Some work well in my basement some only work in the yard! Most of mine have a blinking LED to show when reception is taking place. Steve kb1chu

                                                      On 6/5/2015 12:15 PM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:

                                                      95% sure I use it in xastir also. Made by navibe gm700 I think. Specs say its nema

                                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                                      > On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:30 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > Use a terminal emulator first to connect to the port and play with the
                                                      > baud rates until you get good, readable NMEA strings.
                                                      >
                                                      > Are you sure it's an NMEA USB GPS and doesn't use some proprietary
                                                      > protocol (DeLormes do this a lot)?

                                                      >> On 6/5/2015 11:06 AM, mrfixit2003_975@... [aprsisce] wrote:
                                                      >> It does. It came up as com 8 and I tried to get it to work under diff port speeds and still no data
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Jerry
                                                      >> Kf5aok
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Sent from my iPhone
                                                      >>
                                                      >>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                      >>>
                                                      >>> The USB GPS must offer a virtual COMn port which you then Configure /
                                                      >>> Ports / NMEA / Device.

                                                      >>> Yahoo Groups Links

                                                      >> Posted by: mrfixit2003_975@...

                                                      >> Yahoo Groups Links

                                                      > Yahoo Groups Links

                                                    • Bob Harris

                                                        --

                                                        Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                                                        Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)