Feature expansion

  • wmiler1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hey Lynn,

      I wonder if there is a way to read all the messages that are queued up, rather than clicking in the upper right corner, message box popping up, reselecting the next message, etc. Maybe just have one message box that comes up and lets you select directly from that box?

      Thanks, and Happy New Year :)

      - Wyatt -

      KJ4CTD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
        I've considered this, but how would you deal with a list of 25+
        different callsigns and messages from a single list. You'd still have
        to keep going back to the list to deal with the next one, or are you
        looking to just glance at the accumulated messages and dismiss them all
        at once? If it's the former (deal with one at a time), then it's no
        different than what's there today. If it's the latter, just click Clear
        / Clear Eavesdrops or Clear / Clear My Messages and don't bother looking
        at them, because you probably won't from the list anyway.

        If I've missed the mark completely, then please detail what it is you're
        asking for with samples of different types of messages waiting in the
        wings and what shows and what you click and what happens when you
        click. Oh, and remember that this same program, single source code,
        runs on a 320x240 Windows Mobile screen as well!

        PS. And if you say "Outlook" or "e-mail" type inbox interface, remember
        we're dealing with short messages here, not an e-mail client with
        subjects and message bodies and the ability to go back and browse around
        the history of messages for the past N years.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          Oh, and on Win32, click, Escape, click, Escape, click, Escape, ...
          clears the queue really really fast. When you see one you want to
          respond to, click the button instead of hitting escape. I can't imagine
          anyone out there actually sees more messages that I do in my multiple
          instances of APRSISCE/32.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
            On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            <kj4erj@...> wrote:

            > I've considered this, but how would you deal with a list of 25+
            > different callsigns and messages from a single list.

            It's handled pretty easily on a much smaller LCD display on the Kenwood HTs...

            ->VE6SRV-10
            <-VE6SRV-9
            ->W6GPS

            The -> is actually just a single character arrow, which indicates
            which way the message was going.

            First message above was sent to VE6SRV-10, second received from
            VE6SRV-9, third sent to W6GPS.

            When snooping on a conversation, you'll see the sender's callsign in
            the incoming list, and the recipient's callsign is shown as the Group
            name. To snoop on the Kenwood line, you use a wildcard (*) as an
            incoming group name and it lets you eavesdrop on all message traffic.

            I went to shut down my program to update to the latest development
            version, and had a half dozen or so messages waiting. A couple were
            snooping, one telling me there's a new development version ready, and
            on message to me. If I had dismissed all without looking, I would have
            missed the message actually meant for me. Being able to see the
            "header" information lets you know if you need to snoop further or
            just delete. It would end up just being another list of callsigns down
            the other side of the screen. If you don't have room for the list on a
            small screen, don't snoop on everyone. If the messages are for you,
            you're going to want to deal with them anyway.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
              James Ewen wrote:

              > I went to shut down my program to update to the latest development
              > version, and had a half dozen or so messages waiting. A couple were
              > snooping, one telling me there's a new development version ready, and
              > on message to me. If I had dismissed all without looking, I would have
              > missed the message actually meant for me. Being able to see the
              > "header" information lets you know if you need to snoop further or
              > just delete. It would end up just being another list of callsigns down
              > the other side of the screen. If you don't have room for the list on a
              > small screen, don't snoop on everyone. If the messages are for you,
              > you're going to want to deal with them anyway.

              If you had clicked on the message pane, it gives them to you in a
              priority order :

              1) Messages addressed to your callsign-SSDI
              2) Messages addressed to your base callsign any SSID (My Messages)
              3) Eavesdropped messages

              If I ever get around to doing a list, it'll likely be in this same
              order, possibly with multiple messages from the same "conversation"
              rolled into a single entry with ellipses...