Use of Alternate Map Source

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
      Lynn,
      In the wiki on map prefetch you mention "There's a menu option under View / Maps / Prefetch that will handle the prefetching of the maps".  I do not see this.  I see an option under Screen/Map/Prefetch which is also mentioned in the wiki.  This particular option does not appear to be permanent and has to be turned on each time.  Is there an option that stays on and automatically fetches maps as I move around?

      I saw in previous posts where you mention potential support for maps like precision mapping.  This would be a great feature in my opinion.  This is the one feature that is lacking that I think puts Ui-View ahead for us using the program in a mobile environment.  When we are RVing I don't always know where I will be spending the night and I also have the ability to run the program while on the move and it is hard to prefetch maps when you are traveling hundreds of miles a day.  APRSIS, as I have discovered, is much easier to get up and running for us new folks as you have seen from my traffic on the other group.

      73,
      Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
        Tom wrote:
        > In the wiki on map prefetch you mention "There's a menu option under
        > View / Maps / Prefetch that will handle the prefetching of the maps".
        > I do not see this. I see an option under
        > Screen/Map/Prefetch which is also mentioned in the wiki. This
        > particular option does not appear to be permanent and has to be turned
        > on each time. Is there an option that stays on and automatically
        > fetches maps as I move around?

        As long as you have Enables / OSM Fetch Enabled checked as well as
        Enables / APRS-IS Enabled checked, APRSISCE/32 will fetch any required
        map tiles as you move the screen around for any reason, it'll fetch maps
        when you pan or zoom, it'll fetch maps when you follow another station,
        and it'll fetch maps as you drive around.

        The Screen / Map / Prefetch (it used to be under View, but moved) is a
        one-shot that fetches map tiles for the current view and some number of
        more detailed levels. It actually queues the fetches them as fast as
        the OSM server can deliver them over your Internet connection. You can
        queue a Prefetch with one view, pan or zoom somewhere else, and queue
        another Prefecth and then another and another... You should see an
        expanding yellow circle that shows the map fetcher's progress as well as
        being able to double-click an empty area on the map to see more details.

        Map prefetching is really only useful if you're going to be off the
        Internet or out of cellular data coverage for any reason. Otherwise,
        the automatic fetch of map tiles is far more convenient, especially if
        you're like me and follow random stations around the globe that happen
        to catch your interest (like AF3K, a Lord Nelson Victory Tug that was
        cruising off the west coast of Florida the other day). But if you are
        going off the Internet and relying on cached map tiles, you want to
        disable the map tile purger as well
        (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/moving-osmtiles).

        > I saw in previous posts where you mention potential support for maps
        > like precision mapping. This would be a great feature in my opinion.
        > This is the one feature that is lacking that I think puts Ui-View
        > ahead for us using the program in a mobile environment. When we are
        > RVing I don't always know where I will be spending the night and I
        > also have the ability to run the program while on the move and it is
        > hard to prefetch maps when you are traveling hundreds of miles a day.
        > APRSIS, as I have discovered, is much easier to get up and running for
        > us new folks as you have seen from my traffic on the other group.

        I don't think I've ever mentioned Precision Mapping as I don't have any
        plans to hook into other software that becomes more of a moving target
        than publicly available map tile sources. I do have plans to support
        easier configuration of alternate map sources over the Internet (like
        OSM's Cycle Maps or any other 256x256 pixel tile source conforming to
        OSM's file naming scheme). I also plan to support locally created
        UI-View-format maps with a corresponding .INF file.

        A slightly dated ToDo list can be found at the bottom of the Release
        Notes in the Files section of the group. When I finally get the next
        general release done, the ToDo list in those Release Notes (they're
        length) will have been updated. I'm just not sure when I'll have the
        time to complete and package a general release!

        > 73,
        > Tom
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          Lynn,
          Thanks.  I wll check it out after work.  So I have to have APRS-IS turned on for it to automatically fetch maps?

          Any particular reason why you don't want to support linking to map files that are not Internet based?  You said "it'll fetch maps as you drive around."  Unfortunately a lot of us don't have internet access as we drive around or parked a camp sites.

          Please don't think I am knocking the program.  As a new user I am just highlighting points that I find as I go along and my only point of reference is UI-View.  I also like the way UI-View has the built in web server.  Like I said earlier I think APRSIS is by the easiest program to get up and running and I believe it will become the defacto program as it matures so I might as well get on the band wagon early.

          Tom

          On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:
          Tom wrote:
          > In the wiki on map prefetch you mention "There's a menu option under
          > View / Maps / Prefetch that will handle the prefetching of the maps".
          > I do not see this.  I see an option under
          > Screen/Map/Prefetch which is also mentioned in the wiki.  This
          > particular option does not appear to be permanent and has to be turned
          > on each time.  Is there an option that stays on and automatically
          > fetches maps as I move around?

          As long as you have Enables / OSM Fetch Enabled checked as well as
          Enables / APRS-IS Enabled checked, APRSISCE/32 will fetch any required
          map tiles as you move the screen around for any reason, it'll fetch maps
          when you pan or zoom, it'll fetch maps when you follow another station,
          and The Screen / Map / Prefetch (it used to be under View, but moved) is a
          one-shot that fetches map tiles for the current view and some number of
          more detailed levels.  It actually queues the fetches them as fast as
          the OSM server can deliver them over your Internet connection.  You can
          queue a Prefetch with one view, pan or zoom somewhere else, and queue
          another Prefecth and then another and another... You should see an
          expanding yellow circle that shows the map fetcher's progress as well as
          being able to double-click an empty area on the map to see more details.

          Map prefetching is really only useful if you're going to be off the
          Internet or out of cellular data coverage for any reason.  Otherwise,
          the automatic fetch of map tiles is far more convenient, especially if
          you're like me and follow random stations around the globe that happen
          to catch your interest (like AF3K, a Lord Nelson Victory Tug that was
          cruising off the west coast of Florida the other day).  But if you are
          going off the Internet and relying on cached map tiles, you want to
          disable the map tile purger as well
          (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/moving-osmtiles).

          >  I saw in previous posts where you mention potential support for maps
          > like precision mapping.  This would be a great feature in my opinion.
          > This is the one feature that is lacking that I think puts Ui-View
          > ahead for us using the program in a mobile environment.  When we are
          > RVing I don't always know where I will be spending the night and I
          > also have the ability to run the program while on the move and it is
          > hard to prefetch maps when you are traveling hundreds of miles a day.
          > APRSIS, as I have discovered, is much easier to get up and running for
          > us new folks as you have seen from my traffic on the other group.

          I don't think I've ever mentioned Precision Mapping as I don't have any
          plans to hook into other software that becomes more of a moving target
          than publicly available map tile sources.  I do have plans to support
          easier configuration of alternate map sources over the Internet (like
          OSM's Cycle Maps or any other 256x256 pixel tile source conforming to
          OSM's file naming scheme).  I also plan to support locally created
          UI-View-format maps with a corresponding .INF file.

          A slightly dated ToDo list can be found at the bottom of the Release
          Notes in the Files section of the group.  When I finally get the next
          general release done, the ToDo list in those Release Notes (they're
          length) will have been updated.  I'm just not sure when I'll have the
          time to complete and package a general release!

          > 73,
          > Tom

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
             aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
            Tom wrote:
            > Lynn,
            > Thanks. I wll check it out after work. So I have to have APRS-IS
            > turned on for it to automatically fetch maps?

            Yes, if you disable APRS-IS, then the assumption is that you don't want
            the program to access the Internet or don't even have Internet access.

            > Any particular reason why you don't want to support linking to map
            > files that are not Internet based?

            It's not that I "don't want to support", it's that I haven't had time to
            deal with the arbitrary zoom and scale levels of user-supplied maps as
            well as the issues related to supporting arbitrary image formats (I do
            PNG today because that's the OSM-chosen image format). When I have the
            time to tackle those issues, then UI-View-style .INF-based maps will be
            supported by APRSISCE/32. At the current time, however, I'm giving
            priority to more core APRS functionality, like RF support and other
            information visibility. APRSISCE/32 has a mapping solution that works.
            It'll be extended in the future, but not just yet.

            > You said "it'll fetch maps as you drive around." Unfortunately a lot
            > of us don't have internet access as we drive around or parked a camp
            > sites.

            I understand that. That's why I support prefetching maps and turning
            off the purger. You just have to plan ahead. Also, if you hit left
            arrow 20 times or so, the maps will fade away to nothing and then
            APRISSCE/32 switching into a range/bearing display rather than the
            Mercatur projection that is used when maps are visible.

            By the way, the purger is also automatically turned off if you disable
            OSM Fetch Enable, but be aware that the instant you turn it on
            (actually, sometime within 4 hours), the purger will kick in and
            possibly wipe out most of your local OSMTiles directory as being too
            old. It's safer to disable the purger via the XML file if you're using
            APRSISCE/32 with cached map tiles.

            > Please don't think I am knocking the program. As a new user I am
            > just highlighting points that I find as I go along and my only point
            > of reference is UI-View. I also like the way UI-View has the built in
            > web server. Like I said earlier I think APRSIS is by the easiest
            > program to get up and running and I believe it will become the defacto
            > program as it matures so I might as well get on the band wagon early.

            A method of remotely viewing an APRSISCE/32 display is also on the ToDo
            list. Maturation of the program may take a few more years, but I'm
            planning on steady improvement over that time. You'll find I'm all ears
            (er eyes) for suggestions and one look at the ToDo list will show you
            that there's quite a lot that's already identified that still could use
            doing. Bear with me and I'm sure we'll all be very satisfied in the end.

            PS. At the risk of being redundant but because you identified that
            UI-View is your only point of reference, just don't ask me to support
            "XZY like UI-View (or one of it's add-ons)". My goal isn't to clone or
            reverse engineer UI-View or any add-on. My goal is to provide
            APRS-based functionality that people use. I don't use UI-View and I
            won't install it or any of its add-ons, so you better be prepared to
            describe the function and utility of said function if you ask for
            something to be supported.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi Tom,

              I know that Lynn answered you but maybe my perspective and usage will benefit.

              Right off, if you are planning on using APRSIS32 for navigating, it will be basically similar as buying paper maps in advance. You can see the roads but not get directions. This is not a bad thing by the way. It may get navigating in the future as the OSM group progresses. Also, I find the light pastels to be difficult to see while mobile. That can't be changed. I do prefer APRS functions first.

              You can use a second package to do the navigating and run it concurrently it you are using a laptop, netbook, or probably even a tablet. Microsoft Map Point may be an option and DeLorme has options as well. I only know of them and do not have an opinion about them either way since I have not used either.

              It is sometimes more practical to use map software for map purposes and APRS software for APRS. Even though they both use maps, the similarity pretty much ends there.

              I have have one COM port listening to my GPS and a program to share it with multiple COM ports.

              For APRS, I use APRSIS32 and it receives the GPS data stream.

              For the last 10 years or so, I have used ExpertGPS which was started using the USGS topographic, aerial photos and Urban aerial photos located on the MS TeraServer. It also can use scanned maps. I have charts which are interesting to map-tour up and down the coast. Recently, it has been updated to use the OSM tiles as well. This is one program that receives the GPS data. It also does not do navigation. I can however load in a GPX track or route that I have planned.

              I define "navigation" as a system that provides some turn by turn assistance kind of like that person sitting on the other side, which in my case, is my wife.

              For each of these programs, I plan ahead. I can move the map around and each program will grab tiles as needed for viewing. My current tile repository or OSM and TS tiles is huge and is continually growing as I explore more areas on the maps. This actually works very well. I have the tile purging turned off for APRSIS32. I know the OSM tiles may be updated and I will not get the latest but for the most part, they are complete for my use here in the US. The USGS tiles are out of date and will never be updated in their current form. I am used to that.

              When I am running these programs mobile, they run in little windows "tiled" on the main screen. Then, if I want more detail I can double-click on the header bar and get full screen quickly. The double-clicking on the header bar again will put it back to where it started. I try to make things easy while mobile. Ever notice how easy it is to move around on the newer GPS receivers? Big buttons and big icons go a long way.

              I am running an old Compac Armada at 500MHz, 256MB RAM and WinXP Pro. I have three programs running and all listen to the GPS. In addition to the two above, I have Compass running. It does a basic track which is not needed; mainly I use it to display/record vehicle vital signs. It is connected with an OBDII adapter. The laptop has about 80% CPU utilization. A new and faster laptop will help, but I say this to let you know what can be accomplished with little.

              By the way, if traveling in MA, there is a wicked cool set of topographical maps that will work in APRSISxx. It will take minimum work to use them. I think Lynn will add multiple sets of OSM tiles to be accessed without running a second or third instance in the future. Currently, I have the standard tiles which covers the roadways, CycleMap tiles for general topographic use and the MA topographic set. "Wicked" is a synonym for 'awesome' or 'awesomely'. It is a New England usage primarily.

              I hope something here has been helpful!

              Happy New Year!

              Best regards,
              Fred