UNPROTO problem

  • tuckmeat
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
      Using APRSIS/32 on two different Windows 7 laptops in conjunction with a Kenwood TH-D72. I've configured the TH-D72 in APRSIS using the TM-D710 RF port setting on both notebooks and move the radio between them depending on my location, situation, etc. I have configured the radio to digipeat as well as beacon every few minutes. Everything was working fine until last week. The radio was digipeating and beaconing, and APRSIS was gating packets to the APRS-IS network without issues.

      Now all of the sudden, when APRSIS32 connects to the radio, it sets the internal TNC to a station id of UNPROTO and changes the destination call (APRS Network setting on the radio) from APK003 to STPYUU. Obviously, that won't work with APRS. So, if the APRSIS32 software triggers a beacon through the software, it correctly sends whatever callsign and destination network is configured in the software. However, if the radio triggers a digipeated packet or self beacon, it's doing it with UNPROTO and STPYUU, which is a problem. I've deleted the APRSIS32.XML file and started the configuration over several times, but it keeps doing the same thing. The bizarre thing is that it's doing this now on both notebook PC's.

      What is going on here? I've tried to see if there were settings that I could change to override this behavior, but I haven't figured it out. Any help is appreciated because now the radio's built-in digipeat function is useless.
    • tuckmeat
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
[...]

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
          Sounds like the radio has gotten out of sync with APRSIS putting it into the proper mode.

          Have you always been careful to shut down APRSIS before moving it to the next pc *and* starting APRSIS after connecting to the new pc??

          To resync the tnc in the D72, press the TNC button until the TNC/APRS indicator is OFF ( no longer displayed on the screen of the radio ). Shut down APRSIS on the computer. Connect the computer and radio, then restart ARPSIS.

          That should get everything back to normal.

          As for the STPYUU in the destination call, that's not a problem, that part of the way that the D72 does it's position encoding called Mic-E format. Mic-E format uses the destination call for Longitude and puts Latitude in the payload part of the packet.
          You can read more about it here:
          aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF  page 43

          73,
          Randy
          WF5X

        • tuckmeat
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
            OK, didn't know about the MIC-E format. That helps.

            I've done that procedure a few times myself to see if it would solve the problem and just did it again to verify what happens. It doesn't solve the problem for me. I made sure that the TNC was off and let APRSIS32 turn it on. When the radio beacons, it sends UNPROTO. I also forgot to mention earlier that that APRSIS32 is setting MYCALL to NOCALL on the radio's TNC. When that happens, the digipeating no longer works properly because of the settings change. I did see this time around that the setup is actually working properly UNTIL the radio beacons. If I turn beaconing off on the radio and tell
            APRSIS32 to control the beaconing, everything works as it should. I verified this by using another HT at very low power to make sure that the TH-D72 would digipeat and igate the packet. When the radio's TNC settings get messed up, if I shut down the APRSIS32 radio port, the TH-D72 goes back to working properly. So...it appears to me that something is getting set in the TNC by APRSIS32 that isn't quite right?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
              What do you have the Configure / General / MyCall-ssid set to in
              APRSISCE/32? The only reason APRSISCE/32 would set the radios MYCALL to
              NOCALL is if that's the callsign you have configured into APRSISCE/32.

              Can you Enables / View Log / <YourPortName> and click Enable on that
              menu bar. Then disable and enable the RF port itself and wait for a
              beacon to go out from APRSISCE/32. Then close the client and sent your
              APRSIS32.XML and APRSIS32*.LOG files to KJ4ERJ@.... I'll see what
              sense I can make out of it.

              tuckmeat wrote:
              > OK, didn't know about the MIC-E format. That helps.
              >
              > I've done that procedure a few times myself to see if it would solve the problem and just did it again to verify what happens. It doesn't solve the problem for me. I made sure that the TNC was off and let APRSIS32 turn it on. When the radio beacons, it sends UNPROTO. I also forgot to mention earlier that that APRSIS32 is setting MYCALL to NOCALL on the radio's TNC. When that happens, the digipeating no longer works properly because of the settings change. I did see this time around that the setup is actually working properly UNTIL the radio beacons. If I turn beaconing off on the radio and tell
              > APRSIS32 to control the beaconing, everything works as it should. I verified this by using another HT at very low power to make sure that the TH-D72 would digipeat and igate the packet. When the radio's TNC settings get messed up, if I shut down the APRSIS32 radio port, the TH-D72 goes back to working properly. So...it appears to me that something is getting set in the TNC by APRSIS32 that isn't quite right?
              >

              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Sounds like the radio has gotten out of sync with APRSIS putting it into the
              >> proper mode.
              >>
              >> Have you always been careful to shut down APRSIS before moving it to the
              >> next pc *and* starting APRSIS after connecting to the new pc??
              >>
              >> To resync the tnc in the D72, press the TNC button until the TNC/APRS
              >> indicator is OFF ( no longer displayed on the screen of the radio ). Shut
              >> down APRSIS on the computer. Connect the computer and radio, then restart
              >> ARPSIS.
              >>
              >> That should get everything back to normal.
              >>
              >> As for the STPYUU in the destination call, that's not a problem, that part
              >> of the way that the D72 does it's position encoding called Mic-E format.
              >> Mic-E format uses the destination call for Longitude and puts Latitude in
              >> the payload part of the packet.
              >> You can read more about it here:
              >> aprs.org/doc/APRS101.PDF page 43
              >>
              >> 73,
              >> Randy
              >> WF5X

            • tuckmeat
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
                OK, I feel like a dufus now. :)

                I didn't realize that the radio's TNC would get set to NOCALL if it was configured with the same SSID as the software (is this by design?). I had changed it to be different, but then changed it back for some reason that I don't remember. Now when I set APRSIS32 to a different SSID it seems like it's working great. When the radio beacons, it sends the software's SSID and when it digipeats it also uses the same SSID.

                One thing that was confusing me was that when I just have APRSIS32 configured for RX only, the port logging looks a little different. When it's RX only, I see the radio callsign/ssid and full packet text displayed in the port log when it beacons. When the software is configured for TX, I just see UNPROTO with the Mic-E logged upon radio beacon. I thought it was actually sending the text UNPROTO with NOCALL as the beacon text, which it isn't (well, it WAS sending NOCALL).

                Anyway, I understand how it works now and it's all good.