Re: [aprsisce] Re: Position Ambiguity

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2011
      James Ewen wrote:
      > On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Jordan Hayes KG6UAE <kg6uae@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Since APRS doesn't know from grid-square,
      >>

      > That is incorrect... there are a number of cases where APRS packets
      > can include Maidenhead grid square information.

      I believe he was referring to my comment that the GridSquares known to
      WinLink were not being used in the APRS-IS packets transmitting the
      ambiguous location of the same station.

      And, IIRC, there's only one non-deprecated use of GridSquares as a
      location in APRS. Correction 2. From page 25 (35) of aprs101.pdf.

      An alternative method of expressing a station’s location is to provide a
      Maidenhead locator (grid square). There are four ways of doing this:

      • In a Status Report — e.g. IO91SX/- (/- represents the symbol for a
      “house”).
      • In Mic-E Status Text — e.g. IO91SX/G (/G indicates a “grid square”).
      • In the Destination Address — e.g. IO91SX. (obsolete).
      • In AX.25 beacon text, with the [ APRS Data Type Identifier — e.g.
      [IO91SX] (obsolete).

      Grid squares may be in 6-character form (as above) or in the shortened
      4-character form (e.g. IO91).

      I actually raised this question a while back in the aprssig and was
      told, again IIRC, that no popular APRS clients or sites actually
      interpret and map stations using grid squares, which is a good reason
      for WinLink to not use these formats. We were looking for a way to
      shorten position packets from APRS Messenger on 30m HF.