Re: [aprsisce] Digipeating

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
      I like that suggestion! I could possibly replace the * (heard on RF)
      with a digipeater symbol, possibly faded or smaller than the real
      station's symbol. I like it unless someone suggests something even better!

      Reuben Wells wrote:

      > Thanks Lynn for the confirmation regarding the DigiXform tags, I saw
      > the placeholders in the RFPort elements in the XML file. I will give
      > this a go.
      >
      > Regarding the indication that a packet has been digipeated in the
      > scrolling display, can you just show a black diamond with a D in it,
      > next to the call sign.
      >
      > Reuben / M0RXW
      >
      > --
      >
      > > Is there anyway to tell which packets have been digipeated from the
      > scrolling display on the left?
      > >

      > Not currently. That's a good idea, though. Can you tell me how I might
      > indicate that in a space-conserving fashion given the data that's
      > already encoded in the scrolling stations
      > (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to
      > the digipeater code working with G6UIM so the data behind the scrolling
      > station display now actually knows if it's been digipeated or not!

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
        I like it!
        Small diamond would work.

        However, if it simpler, you could use ASCII char 235 (delta) - upper case would probably be better.
        Those are my thoughts.

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        The difference between CW and other digital
        modes comes down to 2 characters:
        ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
        ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

        Reuben Wells wrote:

        > Thanks Lynn for the confirmation regarding the DigiXform tags, I saw
        > the placeholders in the RFPort elements in the XML file. I will give
        > this a go.
        >
        > Regarding the indication that a packet has been digipeated in the
        > scrolling display, can you just show a black diamond with a D in it,
        > next to the call sign.
        >
        > Reuben / M0RXW
        >
        > --
        >
        > > Is there anyway to tell which packets have been digipeated from the
        > scrolling display on the left?
        > >

        > Not currently. That's a good idea, though. Can you tell me how I might
        > indicate that in a space-conserving fashion given the data that's
        > already encoded in the scrolling stations
        > (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to
        > the digipeater code working with G6UIM so the data behind the scrolling
        > station display now actually knows if it's been digipeated or not!

      • kd4dra
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
          Isn't the program doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its RF ...and sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
          does that mean it was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?

          Rick
          KD4DRA

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
            The * means that it was received via RF. The number after the *
            indicates how many times (>1) the packet was heard, total between RF and
            APRS-IS. So, if it's your own station's callsign, and there's a *, it
            means a digipeat was heard.

            However, in retrospect, the topic of discussion was indicating which of
            the packets were digipeated BY your own station. In this situation, the
            * means it was received over RF and the new indicator would add that it
            was also digipeated back out over RF.

            kd4dra wrote:

            > Isn't the program doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its
            > RF ...and sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
            > does that mean it was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?
            >

            > */
            > /*
            > */Rick/*
            > */KD4DRA/*

          • Steve D
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011

              Well my screen rushes by so quickly the only thing I get to know is that my feeds are working.

              If possible either mouse over to pause the feed or an option to select APRS-IS RF or both showing would be good

              Steve

              G6UIM

              kd4dra wrote:

              > Isn't the program doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its
              > RF ...and sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
              > does that mean it was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?
              >

              > */
              > /*
              > */Rick/*
              > */KD4DRA/*

              Windows Mobile and Win32

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                Under consideration. The original intent of the scrolling stations log
                was exactly that, to show that the feed was working. It was only later
                that it became an entry point to additional information about the
                station and/or packet that put the station there.

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                  I like that idea also Lynn, someway to slow it down without dropping the coverage area to 50 miles...Thanks

                  Rick
                  KD4DRA

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                    My additional comment would be only show 1 callsign-ssid combo.  Seeing a string of my own callsign (no received stations, just my transmit) really doesn't give me any more information than having my callsign show only once.

                    I think someone else suggested replacing it with a list of heard callsigns with the most recent at the bottom.  That would mean any callsign-ssid combo would only appear once.
                    There goes my 2 cents.

                    Steve D wrote:

                    > Well my screen rushes by so quickly the only thing I get to know is
                    > that my feeds are working.
                    >
                    > If possible either mouse over to pause the feed or an option to select
                    > APRS-IS RF or both showing would be good
                    >

                    > Steve
                    >
                    > G6UIM

                  • g4ilo
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Is APRS very busy where you are or do you have a full feed or a very large area filter?

                      Julian, G4ILO

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
                        I've always used the APRS-IS filter to limit what I see. It doesn't make sense to me on VHF particularly to have an RF-only list as there are a lot of stations quite near to me that I would never see. If we are to have a way to filter the stations in the list then it would be nice to have MHeard, heard over RF in the last x minutes with the most recent at the top. An option to filter by distance from Me would also be useful.

                        Julian, G4ILO

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                          My interest currently for New England:
                          Port for APRS - plain Jane.
                          Port for ISS. This should be coupled to tracking software so transmitting is OFF when the ISS is not overhead.
                          Port for 30M, each flavor? Any output on 30M should be tightly controlled.

                          From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of g4ilo

                           This is an interesting topic and one that is probably worthy of its own thread (and more thought than I'm able to give it at this point on New Year's Eve.) But I wonder how much demand there actually is for APRSISCE/32 clients supporting more than one port? Can we do a poll?

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                            Maybe the answer is more of a "stop now". This gives half a chance of clicking on a station.
                            Restarting could just start by clearing the list and start filing it again since all the previous data is old.

                            Or maybe a CTRL-P to start and stop scrolling the list. That was the old DOS key right? If it doesn't not clear the list, Lynn would have to save the list for continuing where it was stopped and it would quickly catch up. Clearing and re-starting the list may be simpler.

                            Fred

                            I've always used the APRS-IS filter to limit what I see. It doesn't make sense to me on VHF particularly to have an RF-only list as there are a lot of stations quite near to me that I would never see. If we are to have a way to filter the stations in the list then it would be nice to have MHeard, heard over RF in the last x minutes with the most recent at the top. An option to filter by distance from Me would also be useful.

                            Julian, G4ILO

                            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kd4dra <kd4dra@...> wrote:

                            > I like that idea also Lynn, someway to
                            slow it down without dropping the
                            > coverage area to 50
                            miles...Thanks

                            Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...>
                            href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                            Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 7:00:23 PM
                            > Subject: Re: [aprsisce]
                            Digipeating

                            href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] *On
                            > > Behalf Of *Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                            > > *Sent:* 01 January
                            2011 21:28
                            > > *To:*
                            href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                            > > *Subject:* Re: [aprsisce] Digipeating
                            > >

                            > > The * means that it was received
                            via RF. The number after the *
                            > > indicates how many times (>1) the
                            packet was heard, total between RF and
                            > > APRS-IS. So, if it's your
                            own station's callsign, and there's a *, it
                            > > means a digipeat was
                            heard.

                            > > However, in retrospect, the topic of discussion
                            was indicating which of
                            > > the packets were digipeated BY your own
                            station. In this situation, the
                            > > * means it was received over RF and
                            the new indicator would add that it
                            > > was also digipeated back out
                            over RF.

                            > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for
                            Windows Mobile and Win32

                            > > kd4dra wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Isn't the program doing that now
                            ...cause when I see the * I know its
                            > > > RF ...and sometimes it
                            may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
                            > > > does that mean it was digi
                            that many times...or what, does it mean?

                            > > > */
                            > > > /*

                            */Rick/*

                            *From:* Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...

                            > > > I like that suggestion! I could possibly replace the * (heard on
                            RF)
                            > > > with a digipeater symbol, possibly faded or smaller than
                            the real
                            > > > station's symbol. I like it unless someone suggests
                            something even
                            > > better!
                            > > >
                            > > > Lynn
                            (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                            DigiXform tags, I saw
                            elements in the XML file. I will give

                            show a black diamond with a D in it,
                            sign.

                            href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011

                              Yes a stop now would do, but some sort of filter would be better. Even a filter string similar to that on the aprs-is feed setup.

                              I have a wide setting on my IS feed as I like to watch a wide area. It does mean the screen flies by in a blur.

                              Steve

                              G6UIM

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                                "Flies by in a blur" is what you get if you connect to a full feed
                                port. It communicates the fact that the feed is working or not, and can
                                give a relative idea of the kinds of stations running in the world, but
                                it's completely useless for other information gathering let alone
                                clicking on a particular station.

                                I'm leaning towards an APRS-IS-like filter setting for what shows up
                                there with a default of everything. Implementation of that will have to
                                wait until I actually implement an APRS filter module which I'll be
                                wanting for downstream APRS feeds as well as possible -IS to RF filtering.

                                It'll get there eventually, but don't hold your breath for this one,
                                there's a lot more to it than the little quickies I've been pushing
                                out. It will give a nice visual indication of the filter operation
                                though. Handy for debugging the filter feed.

                                PS. I've almost got an FTM-350 parser done, but again ran out of
                                focused time to finish it. I really wish these devices would either
                                just to KISS (which provides wonderful delimiters at the start and end
                                of each packet and a well-defined payload in between) or a single
                                newline-delimited, humanly-readable packet option like the actual
                                APRS-IS stream. This business of multi-line (guess where the packet
                                starts and ends) with []-delimited timestamps and <>-delimited header
                                information is for the birds! As much as I've shied away from UI-View,
                                the TNC interface code is the one bit that I wish I had access to! I
                                can just see Roger commiserating with me after he had to have gone
                                through the same agonies!

                                PPS. Does anyone know if xastir handles all of the different things
                                that UI-View does? I could rummage the code, but that'd take some
                                time. I know they get a lot of support from the AX.25 network interface
                                support and don't necessarily drive the serial ports directly though.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  When I want to see more stations, I start a different instance or change a filter. When the data is scrolling by quickly, I have resolved that attempting to click on a station on the side list is pointless. I don't know if a start/stop method makes sense either in this case. Since a stop will produce a stored list that will be up and off the sidebar in milliseconds when restarted. So, I have to ask myself, what am I looking for?

                                  If it is a particular station, then I start MultiTrack. The station should pop up eventually. I came in every day and started looking for a steam locomotive that had traveled from the NW to St. Louis and back.

                                  If it is some random station, then I can just poke around the map and get the same result. But, it start/stop was an option, I might use it.

                                  Fred

                                  ________________________________
                                  <kj4erj@...>

                                  Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 7:00:23 PM
                                  > Subject: Re: [aprsisce]
                                  Digipeating

                                  wrote:

                                  > > Well my screen rushes by so
                                  quickly the only thing I get to know is
                                  > > that my feeds are
                                  working.

                                  > > If possible either mouse over to pause the
                                  feed or an option to select
                                  > > APRS-IS RF or both showing would be
                                  good

                                  > > Steve
                                  > >
                                  > > G6UIM

                                  2011 21:28

                                  wrote:

                                  > > > Isn't the program
                                  doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its
                                  > > > RF ...and
                                  sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
                                  > > > does that mean it
                                  was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?

                                  > > > */
                                  > > > /*

                                  */Rick/*

                                  *From:* Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...

                                  > > > I like that suggestion! I could possibly replace the * (heard on
                                  RF)
                                  > > > with a digipeater symbol, possibly faded or smaller than
                                  the real
                                  > > > station's symbol. I like it unless someone suggests
                                  something even
                                  > > better!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Lynn
                                  (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                  Lynn for the confirmation regarding the DigiXform tags, I saw

                                  sign.

                                  idea, though. Can you tell me how I might
                                  in a space-conserving fashion given the data that's

                                  already encoded in the scrolling stations
                                  href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to
                                  G6UIM so the data behind the scrolling
                                  now actually knows if it's been digipeated or not!

                                • Tom - KQ5S
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                    I was looking at my Digi(NOT) log and see:

                                    WinMain:2011-03-05T12:12:18.542 Unused Hop(WIDE2-2) Has No DigiXform in (N4MSG-10>APTT4,WIDE2-2:>ETV Tower NE Columbia 13.8V 85F)

                                    What does this mean?

                                    Also I do not see a log for Digi just Digi(NOT). Do you have to put <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform> in a certain location in the xml file. I have it here:

                                    <LastWeather>2011-00-05T07:06:00</LastWeather>
                                    </Object>
                                    <!--Object[0]-->

                                    <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>

                                    <!--Nickname[0]-->

                                    Tom
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                      It looks like you have the <DigiXform> in a suitable place. APRSISCE/32
                                      may relocate it, but at least you have it outside of any record.

                                      The message about (WIDE2-2) means just what it says. You only have a
                                      DigiXform for WIDE1-1, not WIDE2-2, so APRSISCE/32 isn't going to
                                      digipeat a packet whose first unused path component is anything but WIDE1-1.

                                      As soon as you receive and digipeat a WIDE1-1 packet, the Digi log
                                      should show up. This is why I suggest telling it to remember those
                                      Enable statuses so that the logs will be there before they are actually
                                      needed.

                                      On 3/5/2011 7:19 AM, Tom - KQ5S wrote:
                                      > I was looking at my Digi(NOT) log and see:
                                      >
                                      > WinMain:2011-03-05T12:12:18.542 Unused Hop(WIDE2-2) Has No DigiXform in (N4MSG-10>APTT4,WIDE2-2:>ETV Tower NE Columbia 13.8V 85F)
                                      >
                                      > What does this mean?
                                      >
                                      > Also I do not see a log for Digi just Digi(NOT). Do you have to put<DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform> in a certain location in the xml file. I have it here:
                                      >
                                      > <LastWeather>2011-00-05T07:06:00</LastWeather>
                                      > </Object>
                                      > <!--Object[0]-->
                                      >
                                      > <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>
                                      >
                                      > <!--Nickname[0]-->
                                      >
                                      > Tom

                                    • Bert Thingy
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 27

                                        Greetings fellow Hams,

                                        I live close to the Motorway/Channel Tunnel and when, not only private cars but lorries tx their aprs signal I would like to be able digipeat them on via my station and internet.

                                        I have sorted out how to tx my beacon, but editing the xml file is just beyond me.

                                        I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
                                        I'm also have no idea how to ping a station.

                                        In the days of chalk and slate I ran Ui-View 24/7, but this was set up by a local amateur who has since moved on.

                                        I have looked on YouTube and in the manual all to no avail for a simple soul like myself.
                                        The videos by Julian Moss are brilliant but sadly he is now a Silent Key, what a great shame.

                                        So, any ideas you smart boys or girls out there?

                                        How about an easy to understand YouTube video?

                                        Just be aware, I have extremely limited brain box comprehension.  hi hi

                                        I will add as a footnote that the APRSIS program is brilliant, well done Lynn.

                                        Colin
                                        G0PHO

                                        Details on QRZ.com

                                        To be able to configure APRSISCE/32 to support digipeating, you will need to shut down the program and edit the XML file.

                                      • Don Rolph