Re: [aprsisce] Re: "A P R Spice"

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
      On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM, w7boz <w7boz@...> wrote:

      > I like "APR Spice". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it,
      > but I call your program "ICE" Or "APRS ICE".

      APRSISCE/32 looks like ICE cubed (^3) to me... I mentioned that to
      Lynn a long time ago.

      Calling the program APRSIS is a bad idea, because people have a hard
      enough time understanding that the APRS-IS is the internet stream
      portion of the worldwide APRS network. The difference between APRS-IS
      and APRSIS is much less apparent that the difference between APRS and
      APRS-IS and APRS-RF.

      The local joke around here is to call the program APRS ABC 123.

      Having to spell out an acronym sucks... spelling out APRS is a pain.
      Adding 7 more characters that have to be spelled out just makes it
      more of a pain.

      There has to be some kind of masochistic streak in all of the software
      developers playing with APRS, as they all have nasty names for their
      programs. But, that's just me... If I were to write some program, I'd
      probably call it "Trotters", and then I'd have to spend countless
      hours explaining that trotters are pigs feet... pigs feet make tracks,
      ham comes from a pig, hence, ham tracks... then Bob would be after me
      because APRS is about much more than tracking!

      Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
      APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
      Information Communications Exchange.

    • Steve D
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011

        I was trying to think of what SPICE could stand for I like “Simplex Packet
        Information Communications Exchange.”

        Steve

        G6UIM

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
          James Ewen wrote:

          > Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
          > APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
          > Information Communications Exchange.

          If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym? I like it!

          PS. And if anyone asks a year from now how did SISCE become SPICE, I'll
          just remind them that programmer's aren't particularly known for their
          spelling abilities. :)

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
            On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            <kj4erj@...> wrote:

            >>Simplex Packet Information Communications Exchange.
            >>

            > If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym?  I like it!

            There's a fee... I need a lifetime free subscription to all future
            releases of the program.

            I'd drop the APR prefix, and just call it SPICE, an APRS program for
            Windows 32 and CE.

          • ka0azs
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
              I like it!

              > James Ewen wrote:
              > >
              > > Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
              > > APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
              > > Information Communications Exchange.
              > >

              > If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym? I like it!

              > PS. And if anyone asks a year from now how did SISCE become SPICE, I'll
              > just remind them that programmer's aren't particularly known for their
              > spelling abilities. :)
              >

              > > James
              > > VE6SRV

            • Randy Love
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Steve D <sbd64000@...> wrote:

                SPICE is also a circuit simulation program, but I doubt people would confuse the two

                Steve

                G6UIM

                Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
                Used it in college back in the late 80's.

                (Darn, just showed my age again!)

                Randy
                WF5X
              • Randy Love
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011

                  APRSISCE = A P R S eyes-see :)

                  Because, "I spy" doesn't quite work with the 'CE' part...

                  Just another way of looking at it.

                  WF5X

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                    We use PSPICE here.